Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 2011 i have many mods and i just started having small issues mainly in 1st... it goes up to 5000 rpms then shifts and it 's smooth as a baby after that it's just at 1st gear... i anything over 400 hp creates an issue
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:20 AM

2010 Mr, I had the rattle, went to miso dealer and they replaced the flywheel and clutch hub under warrenty, about 1800aud worth of work.
Lovely no noise for about 3000klms, now the rattle is coming back.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

i have a rattle just at start up... it's all good i am doing a tranny service my self soon. i just can't wait till i have the $$$ to do some SSP clutches and fly wheel
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:53 AM

Heres my issue currently:

2011 Ralliart,

I'm at 37k and next week I'm having the fluid and filter changed. Bought the car back in Jan so I have no idea if it was ever done before now. Mods are in sig.
So I'm now on the 3rd time of this happening in 3 weeks. Basically once a week now for 3 consecuative weeks, I'll be driving along and the sst will give me a warning that it needs serviced and it will stop shifting gears unless I paddle shift then they will shift for me. The first time it happend though, it would shift with paddle shifting at all until I stopped and turned the car off. Once I turned it back on the SST shifted fine but the CEL was on. The next day I went to take it to have the code read and by the time I got there the CEL cleared itself.
Another notable issue and I'm not sure if its coincidence is that, I wrecked the car on the day it 1st happend. It wasnt a bad wrecks, I rear ended a guy that brake checked me at a yield sign and cracked my headlight and dented my hood and fender. Not sure if something couldve been done to the tranny that way or not. It goes to the shop next week to be repaired.
Heres are the codes I'm getting: P1877: Gear block 2nd
P184B: Shift fork 4 malfunction
Car currently has no CEL and is driving perfectly fine.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

i don;t know if i agree with some of your claims i have 385 WTQ and no issues
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:40 AM

Doug, yeh thats the beginning. you think its just a computer issue and turn off then on and sometimes works. Wait till it doesnt. my advice is set car to stock. drive it hard! if it doesnt die before warranty get rid of it. New fluid will just mask the problem for a month or two. Ask to see the fluid. bet its burnt with metal shavings.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 01:26 PM

yeah when they drain it I'll ask what comes out.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:52 AM

I have a 2010 MR with a little under 38,000 miles. I have had some weird issues for a while with it "surging" at low speeds (30-40 mph) which was actually slipping I believe. Anyway, they replaced the clutches and everything was ok for a couple of weeks then it started acting "funny" again and finally flashed Trans Service Required. I took it back to the dealership and after a week they were able to get a brand new tranny approved through Mitsu so it is in the process of being shipped in this week. Hoping to get it repaired and back on the road soon. Very minor upgrades for me with mostly just an intake and exhaust plus I drive like a granny in normal mode 95% of the time.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:46 PM

I am surprised they gave you a new trans. With mods. I have a 2011 with 18000 mi. Stock with a drop in filter.So far so good.I would think at some time you must have really got on it. Just takes one hard run to mess something up.
How much hp are you running? Glad you got the dealership to take care of it.Keep us up to date on your results.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:56 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think saying all it takes is one hard run to mess something up with the SST. It's a very solid transmission. A majority of the failures were Ralliart guys, with some MR failures sprinkled in. Most of them have been doing just fine.

That's like saying it's good until it breaks. I'm pretty sure that goes for anything, transmission, engine, headlights, etc.

I know my 08 MR that I sold is still doing fine. It had serious track time on it. I was more gentle to my GSR than my MR.

IMO, no need to drive it conservatively, it's a race car after all. But if you start modding beyond some basic bolt-ons, then you get into questionable territories.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:04 PM

Crossing fingers that I don't run into any SST horror stories during my ownership.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ODB4G63
I have a 2010 MR with a little under 38,000 miles. I have had some weird issues for a while with it "surging" at low speeds (30-40 mph) which was actually slipping I believe. Anyway, they replaced the clutches and everything was ok for a couple of weeks then it started acting "funny" again and finally flashed Trans Service Required. I took it back to the dealership and after a week they were able to get a brand new tranny approved through Mitsu so it is in the process of being shipped in this week. Hoping to get it repaired and back on the road soon. Very minor upgrades for me with mostly just an intake and exhaust plus I drive like a granny in normal mode 95% of the time.
Who replaced the clutches ?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
I don't think saying all it takes is one hard run to mess something up with the SST. It's a very solid transmission. A majority of the failures were Ralliart guys, with some MR failures sprinkled in. Most of them have been doing just fine.

That's like saying it's good until it breaks. I'm pretty sure that goes for anything, transmission, engine, headlights, etc.

I know my 08 MR that I sold is still doing fine. It had serious track time on it. I was more gentle to my GSR than my MR.

IMO, no need to drive it conservatively, it's a race car after all. But if you start modding beyond some basic bolt-ons, then you get into questionable territories.
How many miles were on your 08? I am keeping my fingers crossed also. If you take care of it, you should have no problems.But sometimes I wonder after reading what some people say. Some say they baby their car and have problems. So who really knows.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by hotkupa
Who replaced the clutches ?
The dealer replaced the clutches as a first attempt to get it corrected but I was having issues again after about 500 miles of it doing "ok". It stalled once in the middle of the road and started flashing "Trans Service Required" so I went in and told them to get it right because I was almost T-Boned in the middle of the street due to the trans issues. After a week of back and forth with Mitsu the dealer was able to get a new SST approved to be installed.

Originally Posted by ToMinLA
I am surprised they gave you a new trans. With mods. I have a 2011 with 18000 mi. Stock with a drop in filter.So far so good.I would think at some time you must have really got on it. Just takes one hard run to mess something up.
How much hp are you running? Glad you got the dealership to take care of it.Keep us up to date on your results.
The AEM Intake looks very much like stock and the exhaust is a very tame, stock looking Buschur catback. They are reasonable with me at the dealership as long as it is not anything much more than what I have. I have had the car for 20k miles and probably been in Sport mode 5 times and S-Sport only once. I have never used the launch control function either. The dealer can see all of that in the computer and even commented on how tame it appears I drive it.

When I had the pump failure in the AWD system it did seem to cause excessive drag on the car which I think is when it began the surging feeling. It was almost like it was enough resistance to build boost too soon and caused it to drive really weird when trying to maintain around 40 mph. I believe that played a part in how they dealt with me on the SST because it did seem as though the AWD issues have some how helped facilitate the transmission failure.

Will keep you all posted on how it goes then will probably be selling soon after it is fixed.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you. I did not know dealers do replace the clutches.

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !