Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mohannad
how do you fix this glue problem then?
Damage was more..sensor hit...so this cant be fixed. ..we had to get another used transmission....and replaced it with some tricks to make it work ..all work were done at Tensai Tunning UAE Abu dhabi

Last edited by nodeh; May 25, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 08:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car is stock and unmodified, and it lets you launch, select super sport, etc you should be able to do it without damaging anything. If that breaks stuff the car is underbuilt in my opinion.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:36 PM

sst problem with sutting off

I bought a 2010 PB EVO X MR on June 30, 2014 for 29800.00 from Capitol Mitsubishi in San Jose, CA
It had something going on with it when I bought it, but I just thought I wasn't turning it off correctly. What an idiot.
Well long story short. The car is completely stock and I needed a new tranny. 12000.00 later and a "0" bill for me because I bought a full coverage warranty and a week and a half later I had the car back and running perfectly.

Could have been a real problem. Very happy customer right now.

I have no idea exactly what the problem was and I don't think they really know except that every time you turn the car off it made a clunking sound as if you were still in gear in a manual transmission.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Still that much to replace these? Seems odd.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:48 AM

New SST

That's what the dealer showed me on the work order.
So who knows what it actually cost.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Well I guess it is CA, gotta get dem pennies.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:16 AM

Redacted

Last edited by KommandantKavu; Aug 28, 2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:12 PM

Dude Im in the same problem right now, I have not had my car for more then 1 year and 4 months and the dealership is telling me that I have to fork up 12k-14k for a new transmission. I getting second opinions on this issue. My car is also stock from when I purchased it, I sent an email to HQ today lets see what they say. If they can not help me I'm screwed with the payments, a broken down new car, and I am never buying Mitsubishi again. I love my car but if they can't stand behind their work what is a person suppose to do. I have no MOD, no tracking, and have had only put 22k miles on the car all highway.
Well its a waiting game now! OH and no car!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by KommandantKavu
Questions and Help for Mitsu Evo X MR 2008 Owner with SST Problems.

First time poster, really looking for advice..

In June of 2013 I brought my car in to the Las Vegas Courtesy Dealership because the transmission was slipping, the vehicle had 50,000 miles on it, and was 4-months away from being out of the 5-year/60,000 Powertrain warranty.

The work they did on the vehicle ended up being a Clutch Pack Replacement even though the Service Manager had asked Mitsubishi to do a Transmission Replacement, they denied him that and went with the clutch instead.

Fast forward to June 2014, and I started having issues on the freeway while driving it home. I ended up having it towed to Mitsubishi who said "It's not the Clutch, but the Valve Body".

So I quoted out the cost of the repairs to alternative shops around town, which they said was $4k.. including AAMCO (per recommendation of the Mitsubishi Tech) and ended up bringing it to AAMCO (they quoted me at $3k.)

They told me around mid June or start of July 2014, that it would be 3 weeks before parts could ship due to Mitsubishi being out of stock nation wide on Valve Bodies.

So, I wait the time, and they bring it to Mitsubishi (Courtesy Location in Las Vegas), to get the TCU programmed since they don't have a MUT-3 or whatever that programming device is.

They (Mitsubishi Courtesy) looked at the TCU and had issues flashing it, (so they examined it more?) and noticed there was Transmission Fluid in the connector, and they voided the warranty on the Valve Body (according to the parts manager who worked there). (This Valve Body Warranty was later re-instated by the Dealership after they got the Valve Body working a couple weeks later after replacing the ECU.. keep reading..)

AAMCO then brought the car to the Mitsubishi Jim Marsh Dealership (AAMCO was attempting to cover thier ***?) who saw it, and they said they couldn't program the TCU because the ECU didn't have stock values. (Something the Courtesy dealership DENIED was a problem when they saw it the DAY before, and claimed the issue was with AAMCO's valve body install)

Mind you, I've never modded this car, I HAVE had warranty work done on it (so they have seen the ECU "numbers" before), had the ECU updated by Mitsubishi during previous service, and they are the only people who EVER serviced my car besides oil changes.

So AAMCO towed it BACK to the Courtesy location thinking that the ECU having issues didn't make any sense, and NOW Courtesy was claiming the ECU is not showing stock numbers from when they saw it 2-days prior. So they recommended replacing the ECU.. (They claimed, "SOMETHING" happened, and now the numbers are different in the ECU, meaning calibrations have been changed?.. Mind you, I haven't seen my car in almost a month and a half.)

So I paid for the ECU and TCU/Valve Body to be replaced, and I got the car back 2-weeks ago running awesome.. (After the ECU was done, the courtesy location also replaced a Mass Air Flow sensor, and now it ran as they expected..) Less than 2-weeks later, I start having the vehicle stutter between 2,000-3,000 RPM's.

I dropped it off Friday at the Courtesy location, and now they told me they sent an e-mail to Mitsubishi HQ letting them know they're recommending a Transmission replacement.

I am NOW out of my Powertrain warranty, I've had the car since 2012 (bought from a private party who got it from a Utah dealership) and I have only put 20,000 miles on it with ZERO mods, ZERO tracking, ZERO anything adverse to the powertrain beyond normal wear and tear.

I'm still waiting on Mitsubishi HQ to get back, but seeing the "ECU numbers not being STOCK" will make them think I somehow modded it?! How the hell does that happen when the car was towed between two Mitsubishi dealerships, and then suddenly the numbers changed?!

Should I lawyer up? Should I contact the National Conflict Resolution Center? The BBB? -- Did AAMCO really screw up the Valve Body Install? Should Mitsu have done a Transmission replacement when it was under warranty? Are these things THAT defective? How did my ECU "numbers" or "calibrations" change while I was never even in control of the car?

I can't afford to spend $10k-15k on the transmission (especially) after spending almost $6k on the ECU and TCU/ValveBody.
After changing clutch set, gearbox or TCU its mandatory to calibrate with MUT III clutch and gearbox, if they didn't after changed clutch pack set they f....d up!
WM have very precisely procedure for these changing ... Without calibration problems occur very soon
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by KommandantKavu
Questions and Help for Mitsu Evo X MR 2008 Owner with SST Problems.

First time poster, really looking for advice..

In June of 2013 I brought my car in to the Las Vegas Courtesy Dealership because the transmission was slipping, the vehicle had 50,000 miles on it, and was 4-months away from being out of the 5-year/60,000 Powertrain warranty.

The work they did on the vehicle ended up being a Clutch Pack Replacement even though the Service Manager had asked Mitsubishi to do a Transmission Replacement, they denied him that and went with the clutch instead.

Fast forward to June 2014, and I started having issues on the freeway while driving it home. I ended up having it towed to Mitsubishi who said "It's not the Clutch, but the Valve Body".

So I quoted out the cost of the repairs to alternative shops around town, which they said was $4k.. including AAMCO (per recommendation of the Mitsubishi Tech) and ended up bringing it to AAMCO (they quoted me at $3k.)

They told me around mid June or start of July 2014, that it would be 3 weeks before parts could ship due to Mitsubishi being out of stock nation wide on Valve Bodies.

So, I wait the time, and they bring it to Mitsubishi (Courtesy Location in Las Vegas), to get the TCU programmed since they don't have a MUT-3 or whatever that programming device is.

They (Mitsubishi Courtesy) looked at the TCU and had issues flashing it, (so they examined it more?) and noticed there was Transmission Fluid in the connector, and they voided the warranty on the Valve Body (according to the parts manager who worked there). (This Valve Body Warranty was later re-instated by the Dealership after they got the Valve Body working a couple weeks later after replacing the ECU.. keep reading..)

AAMCO then brought the car to the Mitsubishi Jim Marsh Dealership (AAMCO was attempting to cover thier ***?) who saw it, and they said they couldn't program the TCU because the ECU didn't have stock values. (Something the Courtesy dealership DENIED was a problem when they saw it the DAY before, and claimed the issue was with AAMCO's valve body install)

Mind you, I've never modded this car, I HAVE had warranty work done on it (so they have seen the ECU "numbers" before), had the ECU updated by Mitsubishi during previous service, and they are the only people who EVER serviced my car besides oil changes.

So AAMCO towed it BACK to the Courtesy location thinking that the ECU having issues didn't make any sense, and NOW Courtesy was claiming the ECU is not showing stock numbers from when they saw it 2-days prior. So they recommended replacing the ECU.. (They claimed, "SOMETHING" happened, and now the numbers are different in the ECU, meaning calibrations have been changed?.. Mind you, I haven't seen my car in almost a month and a half.)

So I paid for the ECU and TCU/Valve Body to be replaced, and I got the car back 2-weeks ago running awesome.. (After the ECU was done, the courtesy location also replaced a Mass Air Flow sensor, and now it ran as they expected..) Less than 2-weeks later, I start having the vehicle stutter between 2,000-3,000 RPM's.

I dropped it off Friday at the Courtesy location, and now they told me they sent an e-mail to Mitsubishi HQ letting them know they're recommending a Transmission replacement.

I am NOW out of my Powertrain warranty, I've had the car since 2012 (bought from a private party who got it from a Utah dealership) and I have only put 20,000 miles on it with ZERO mods, ZERO tracking, ZERO anything adverse to the powertrain beyond normal wear and tear.

I'm still waiting on Mitsubishi HQ to get back, but seeing the "ECU numbers not being STOCK" will make them think I somehow modded it?! How the hell does that happen when the car was towed between two Mitsubishi dealerships, and then suddenly the numbers changed?!

Should I lawyer up? Should I contact the National Conflict Resolution Center? The BBB? -- Did AAMCO really screw up the Valve Body Install? Should Mitsu have done a Transmission replacement when it was under warranty? Are these things THAT defective? How did my ECU "numbers" or "calibrations" change while I was never even in control of the car?

I can't afford to spend $10k-15k on the transmission (especially) after spending almost $6k on the ECU and TCU/ValveBody.
I would collect all the info on this and other Mitsubishi forum about problems with this transmission.
Then show Mitsubishi. Tell them you will be taking them to court. You can get in touch with other Evo owner. Tell Mitsubishi you are going to start a class action law suit. There is enough members on the Mitsubishi forums to get it going. When Mitsubishi here's this they will be worried big time. They do not want the bad PR. Go for it guys.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look into an aftermarket warranty, there about 3k depending on coverage ie just power train or bumper to bumper.

The dealer will get paid in full for repairs and might help you out. Plus you will have another 30k+ mile coverage, again depending on what you get.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jerra
After changing clutch set, gearbox or TCU its mandatory to calibrate with MUT III clutch and gearbox, if they didn't after changed clutch pack set they f....d up!
WM have very precisely procedure for these changing ... Without calibration problems occur very soon
I'm pretty sure they calibrated the clutch and gearbox after putting in the clutch set. -- I don't know why they wouldn't, and this was a year ago before I started having issues. It's just that Mitsubishi recommended servicing this instead of the entire transmission, which likely was already degrading, but it's cheaper to do the clutch than do the whole transmission.. for them anyway.

And as I mentioned, when AAMCO put in the Valve Body, it went to two mitsubshi dealerships for the programming portion.. Which then turned into a 'ECU doesn't look right, lets replace that too", thus stock programming there too.

My mind is really boggled about the whole "We saw this two days before, and the ECU numbers looked good, it went to the other dealership in town, came back, and now the ECU numbers don't look right!" -- This still doesn't sit right with me, and cost me around $1,200 to do. (Excluding tax or other fees)

Last edited by KommandantKavu; Aug 20, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ToMinLA
I would collect all the info on this and other Mitsubishi forum about problems with this transmission.
Then show Mitsubishi. Tell them you will be taking them to court. You can get in touch with other Evo owner. Tell Mitsubishi you are going to start a class action law suit. There is enough members on the Mitsubishi forums to get it going. When Mitsubishi here's this they will be worried big time. They do not want the bad PR. Go for it guys.

I will certainly consider this route if they decide not to help in anyway. -- I will keep you guys posted as the dealership it's at has yet to get back to me, and I'm going on day 3 now.

I will be calling them around noon and also later in the day, to hopefully get some answers.

I just find it ridiculous this costs so much and that they're so prone to issues.. If I had known that they would of practically condemned the transmission, I would have not bothered with the $6k in repair work. -- I would have easily used that to put a down payment on a different car and get out from underneath this thing.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by CFMP RAblue
I would look into an aftermarket warranty, there about 3k depending on coverage ie just power train or bumper to bumper.

The dealer will get paid in full for repairs and might help you out. Plus you will have another 30k+ mile coverage, again depending on what you get.
No one would warranty the car in it's current condition. And I didn't 'extend' the warranty 8-months back post-clutch repair because the $2,000 most of the companies were looking for didn't seem 'worth it' at the time. -- Now that it's 8-months out of the warranty, and the car is in such a shoddy spot, how would an after market warranty help me, no company would?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:07 PM

Still awaiting them to get back to me. Car has been there since last Thursday night, and it's taken them this long just to get a confirmation on whether or not they will cover the transmission.

It was 'escalated' up from yesterday, so either that means good things, or simply a higher chance for someone higher up to take the responsibility of putting a 'deny 'stamp on my request for help.

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !