Notices

So where is the TCU located?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So where is the TCU located?

I have read some thread that state that the MR tcu can be installed in a RA for S-Sport. So where would the tcu be located if I to look for one? Thanks!

Dug around on that interwebs and found the service manual. It's inside the side pan of the trans. =)

Last edited by NolaArt; Jun 10, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NolaArt
I have read some thread that state that the MR tcu can be installed in a RA for S-Sport. So where would the tcu be located if I to look for one? Thanks!

Dug around on that interwebs and found the service manual. It's inside the side pan of the trans. =)
It's part of the mechatronic unit.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Don't forget, you have to change the internals of your RA transmission too. The 5/6 gear of the X trans are larger than the RA. Also the MR TCU can't be from an 08/09 MR because the TCU doesn't have 'learning' capabilities.

S sport is over hyped. As a matter of fact, because the launch control on an MR can't be changed, the 'tap' method in Ralliarts works better! Also all super sport does is shift at the redline in automatic mode.

Get you SST RA sport mode tuned for line pressure, slap it in manual sport mode and shift yourself at the redline. Don't waste time/money on an MR TCU swap. It's not worth it at all.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nah, from the clutch-slip logs I've seen from S-SPORT dyno tests (see EvoX "share the love" thread, lol), I'd be wanting an MR TCU if I had loads of extra torque. It's a really noticeable difference.

If you see clutch-slip bouncing around above zero, you're not in S-SPORT mode.

Beeble and others have logs of some S-SPORT MRs (not all) hitting over 200psi of clutch pressure. Which is a lot.

Yep, if I had some funky big turbo fitted on an RA, I'd be hunting for an MR TCU.

edit: Haha, Jasoob, I just saw your other thread about all the POWAH bolt-ons you're planning. So I guess you'll be neck-deep in all this with your own ride!

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jun 13, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasoob
Don't forget, you have to change the internals of your RA transmission too. The 5/6 gear of the X trans are larger than the RA. Also the MR TCU can't be from an 08/09 MR because the TCU doesn't have 'learning' capabilities.

S sport is over hyped. As a matter of fact, because the launch control on an MR can't be changed, the 'tap' method in Ralliarts works better! Also all super sport does is shift at the redline in automatic mode.

Get you SST RA sport mode tuned for line pressure, slap it in manual sport mode and shift yourself at the redline. Don't waste time/money on an MR TCU swap. It's not worth it at all.
Make some more power on your RA and get back to me.

I would kill for MR line pressure that the S-Sport mode provides. You currently *cannot* get it with the RA Sport mode, even fooling around with in-direct line pressure tweaks.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Make some more power on your RA and get back to me.

I would kill for MR line pressure that the S-Sport mode provides. You currently *cannot* get it with the RA Sport mode, even fooling around with in-direct line pressure tweaks.

Right. Even with the RAD on E85 the trans is a bottleneck. Ralliarts NEED that S-Sport mode!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasoob

Since when can't the MR Launch control be changed? I've experimented with 6000, 5000 and 4000 rpm stationary limiter launches and depending on traction the lower RPM's can result in less wheel spin and better launches coupled with the stock turbo. Obviously you need to bump it up on a larger turbo setup but it seems to work fine for the 3 MR's I've programmed it on.

Also for the launch off the line without launch control you can place 100% TPS limits at 500 & 1000 rpm and then 1500 set 30%. Then at 2000 rpm + set it back to 100% tps limits with it tapering down past 6000 as needed to allow a clean shift to 2nd. Turns out ths action of going WOT and letting off and back to WOT gets the car off the line much quicker, now simply pinning the gas pedal sends the car forward with authority after less than a second delay and no launch control needed.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Also for the launch off the line without launch control you can place 100% TPS limits at 500 & 1000 rpm and then 1500 set 30%. Then at 2000 rpm + set it back to 100% tps limits with it tapering down past 6000 as needed to allow a clean shift to 2nd. Turns out ths action of going WOT and letting off and back to WOT gets the car off the line much quicker, now simply pinning the gas pedal sends the car forward with authority after less than a second delay and no launch control needed.
Ooh, nice one. I experimented with this, but only tried 70%. It didn't do squat, so I gave that up as a bad idea. Looks like you've nailed the magic numbers!

Will try.

Who says off-topic is bad!

Rich
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Is this the 1st Gear TPS Limiter table we are talking about? I don't see 500 and 1500 RPM for my table. It starts off at 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, and so on.
Did you rescale your RPM axis?

Last edited by RS200Z; Jun 22, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

No, mate - you have!

I'm looking at the stock version 53050009, and a copy of one of your personal 53050109 tunes, and your tune has a rescaled axis.

By the way, this scale is used by a lot more than just this table...

Boost Target Engine Load (x 3)
Reactive Solenoid Base WGDC Map (x 3)
Passive Solenoid Base WGDC Map (x 3)
etc.

Rich
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Ahh..now I remembered.. haha
Thanks mate!