Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Best coilover for track and autoX?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best coilover for track and autoX?

I'm planning on adding coilovers to my EVO this winter and I would like to start researching it now. What works best for a daily driven EVO that will be used regularly for autocross, make a few visits to the track (2 or 3 times a year) and perhaps participate in a road race rally?

I'm looking for something that will allow ride hight adjustment, spring preloading, compression and rebound adjustment.

I like the idea of Tien's EDFC computer. I could store setting for daily driving and autocross and easily switch between them. Are the Tien coil overs good? do any of the SCCA national champs use them?

TIA
Old May 26, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Nobody serious uses the Tein. They are a basic setup and are not highly regarded in racing circles.

If single adjustables are ok (that adjust rebound and compression), I would suggest DMS 40mm. Their progressive spring rates will make the car pretty smooth for daily and stiff enough for most on the track.

Second option is the Ohlins R&T setup.

High end would be the 50mm DMS, but these are big money.

After that your talking non streetable race setups.
Old May 26, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have had great success with the Buddy Club setup from AMS. I think it's only like $1690. Very streetable and very capable on the track. Read some of the other buddy club threads for more details.

By the way, be careful about EDFC in autocross. Many classes don't allow electronic adjustment unless it was a factory installed feature.
Old May 26, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I looked in to the EDFC for STU previously. It seems that as long as I put the computer in the trunk I should be alright. However, I will verify w/ some SCCA people before making any choices.
Old May 27, 2005, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm now running Zeal Function XS coilovers (8k front/10k rear). They replaced my old JIC FLT-A2(?)s (10k Front/9k rear). The new set-up completely blows the old JICs away for street use and matches them on the track. You couldn't pay me to go back - the difference is that amazing. The dampers in the Zeals are much better than the JICs were.

While I don't AutoX, My car usually sees 10+ track days at larger road courses over a summer. The two local Evo owners who have driven my car since the change are both now seriously considering moving to Zeals. Anyway I got mine from Adam at Z-1; he can also do custom spring rates with matching dampers.

The Zeals would be viewed as a "street" set-up in racing circles, but anything that isn't a full on race set-up usually is.
Old May 27, 2005, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

GSCmotorsports has just released some new coilovers from K-sport. They have a rebound/compression adjustment, upper camber plate and also have the independent sping pre load and ride height adjustment. I think they retail for like $1100 or something. Definatley worth looking into. There is a post on the vendor classifieds boards with some pics and more info.
Old May 27, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

A link to the k-sport coilovers

k-sport
Old May 27, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I would recommend the Ohlins road and track. most of the successful autocross EVO's use them, not sure about the track evos.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old May 30, 2005, 10:58 AM

Please use the "search" function on this site, SoCal Evo, NorCal Evo, Sport Compact Car magazine, or prolly even Google web sites. Then concider who has the most experience (in the US) setting-up and aligning performance oriented Mitsubishi chassis. You said you had some time, right?

or just call the number on this web site:
http://www.roadracechassis.com/

JW
Old May 30, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

jwest ur a noob and telling him to search??
i would go with the teins simply because i love the edfc
Old May 30, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I'm looking for autox coilovers, too. If you use them, you'll end up classed in ESP. I've been looking at Ohlins as well as the Muellerized JIC's from RRE.

I'd like some feedback from anyone using these setups.

Last edited by dsmythe2; Aug 9, 2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

HANDS DOWN in this order: Ohlins, Zeal, Aragosta, Cusco, JIC
Old May 30, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

jwest - 1 post and you are telling me to search? Hate to tell you this but I've got google plugged straight in to my cranium. I had a very specific question that the other people have been able to provide answers to. This isn't just a matter of grabbing your JC wittney catalog and VISA card. If that was the case I'd have a shop cut my springs and add a bigger wing to my car.

dsmythe2 - Coil overs are legal in the ST* classes too. As long as you don't change mounting points you are good to go.

At this point I think I'm going to get the Ohlins. I like the idea of Tien's EDFC, but I don't think any of the 'big name' EVO drivers inside SCCA solo2 are using any of their products. Tien may have a great product, but I would prefer somebody else prove it first.
Old May 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

There are alot of good setups out there, while the Tein may not be up to most 'high-end' setups, they are 'typically' more than 90% of drivers can tune or drive to the potential off. So, seriously weigh what your goals are, and make sure you have someone who can help with the tuning aspect, because the sometimes, having alot to tune can be a double-edged sword.

I happen to own a set of Tein Flex, and I love them. I am having some new spring mades with increased rates, but for the money (I got mine for 1000 used with less than 200 miles) they are a good setup. I just got back from Road Atlanta, and my first time ever on the track, I was consistent in the 1:50's running at 16psi. When I increased the boost to 18.5 the next day, I cracked down into the 1:47(8)'s. If I had spent more time on the track, I am sure I could have gotten alot faster, but in two days, I only got passed by a race prepped Porsche, and I was running on street tires. I am heading to CMP this weekend, and I am hoping to crack the 1:50 barrier there. I have already been 1:53's on stock engine, bald Advans, and stock suspension so with the new mods, better tires, better suspension, and clean air, well, we will see.

Quick Reply: Best coilover for track and autoX?