Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Thoughts on Skip Barbar 3 Day Racing School

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on Skip Barbar 3 Day Racing School

Has anyone attended any of the Skip Barbar programs? I'm looking for some feed back as I really want to get into tracking.

I know it's probably more cost effective to do DE events, so is there any benefit of doing Skip Barbar 3 day program and spending $3500 or just put that money into doing DE events
Old May 31, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

if I had the money and time I would do it... but yeah, DE events work more with my type of budget.

n
Old May 31, 2005, 09:32 AM

Don't spend the money on Skip Barber. Find a local Porsche, BMW, etc club and do a DE. You're going to get probably as much seat time and it's going to save you a bundle. Expect around $250 plus consumables for a weekend DE.

If you want to drop $3000 on a driving school, I say screw Skip Barber and go to Team O'Neil and do it in the dirt. (http://www.teamoneil.com/)
Old May 31, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

What if you don't want to risk your own car?
Old May 31, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
What if you don't want to risk your own car?
Rent a car from Hertz.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:13 AM

Okay, maybe an answer that isn't so flip is in order.

It's a legitimate concern that you could have an accident during a DE day and damage your car. That said, DE events are set up with safety in mind. It varies by club but you'll have an instructor in the car with you for the majority of the two days. Our local Porsche club lets you drive solo the last two sessions if your instructor thinks you're safe. Other clubs keep the instructor in the car every session for novices.

Passing is where you are most likely to get into trouble, and for DE days, passing is only on straights, and you have to get a wave-by from the driver you're going to pass. This way you know the driver has seen you, and is letting you by.

The event I went to had a 2 spin rule, which you got two spins, and the next one you were done for the weekend. We only had one spin in novice, and it happened to be a 911 on slicks during light rain which spun in front of me. No big deal, just slowed down and my instructor told me to go around.

If someone is spinning, dropping wheels off the track, etc..., they're going to get a talking to by their instructor, get black flagged, and get a talking to by the safety director, and if they continue to keep it up, get sent home for the weekend.

Personally, I felt a hell of a lot safer during my DE than I do commuting on the Interstate.

If you're interested in doing a DE I'd recommend contacting a Porshe or BMW club, and going out and watching a DE and see what it's all about. Some clubs have a 'DE 101' class you can attend where they can answer all your questions, and if you're lucky, you can take some parade laps around the track.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
Rent a car from Hertz.
lol... every DE I have ever gone to there is always that 'one guy', who brings a rental car.... I have seen everything from Taurus'es to Neon's to Crown Victorian's...

but yeah.. DE events are pretty damn safe... very rarely do you see someone actually ding up their car.

n
Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

I did the 3 day skip barber school and I really enjoyed it. It was my 17th birthday gift about 8 years ago so I learned a lot that I didnt know. I learned as much from the classroom time as I did on the track.

At this stage though I would say buy a set of wheels and tires for 2 grand and spend the extra grand on some DE days.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

go to buttonwillow performance driving clinic... it's on June 19th.. and it's cheap