Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

oil temps

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nils
you & doc say to run thinner oil but all my racing buddies along with most EVO race engine builders (like Buschur, DTM) say to go with 20/50....

im gonna try the amsoil 20/50 TRO next... then after that I'll try the Amsoil thinner weight..

n
I dunno man Ive always run 5/30 in the winter and 0/30 in the summer. Pretty much cant go wrong with what manufacturer recommends. The reason to go real thick oils is if you have a real loose engine like doc said. That way it wont be squeezing past the rings and such. Thick oil though slows the crank down and robs power bigtime slicing through that stuff. The thing is the hotter it gets the thinner it gets, so thats probably why people have recommended that to you. I think thin synthetics work great though. I highly doubt the gsc kit you are running has such loose components, greg builds a good engine. You can run a bit thinner. 20/50 is generally run in endurance racing. I would go with a 10w40 if you run longer sessions, or 5w30. And see if your temps drop some.

I was out at SMMP all day in may, was pretty warm but not too bad and my temps never went over 110C on the stock guage and I was out there about 30 mins at a time. Was just using stock mobil 1 5w30 that I just changed.

This is off the Redline website:

VISCOSITY GRADE SELECTION
The proper viscosity grade to use depends on
many factors such as ambient temperature, miles
on the engine, bearing and piston clearances, and
type of service. A general rule of lubrication is to
use the lowest viscosity possible which will provide
the proper separation of metal. Anything more than
this minimum will increase power loss due to
friction and will reduce the pumpability of the oil at
all temperatures. However, one must consider
synthetics differently when determining viscosity
requirements. At high speeds, a petroleum 5W30
can appear to be a 15W in the bearings due to the
shear stress, yet Red Line 5W30 will actually be an
SAE 30 in the bearings. There is a significant
difference in lubricating an engine with a 30
compared to a 15W. Red Line Synthetic oil will
provide better viscosity protection than the next
higher petroleum viscosity grade. If clearances are
tight and very little lugging occurs, then the 5W30
or 10W30 should be adequate. Less turbo lag will
be noticed with the 5W30. If ambient temperatures
will regularly climb above 100°F, then the 10W40
would provide an additional safety margin. If the
engine is air-cooled, or if the engine is older and
has greater bearing and ring clearances, the
15W50 and 20W50 will develop a thicker oil film. If
very low temperatures occur, the lower viscosity
grades, (5W30, 10W30, or 10W40) will flow better
and lubricate the engine more quickly after start-up

Last edited by 20psiMR; Jun 19, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

oil light flicker gone

Previous two times at the track, after the cool down lap, I would have a slightly flickering oil light at idle. This was with Mobil 1 10W30. I haven't installed a proper oil pressure gauge yet so I don't know what the oil pressure was. Anyway, this seems to be somewhat common and may just be a bad sender.

But yesterday I ran with Redline 10W40 and got no oil light flicker. I don't know if it was because it was Redline, or 10W40, or perhaps both.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I don't know your build, but unless that bottom end is super loose, I'm Gonna say the oil is too high a viscosity for starters. That will add to oil temps but that seems to be considerable temps. Are you sure your guage is correct ? Just taking a guess but in F., 100 C is 210 so that has to be close to 300 ? Your coolant would be effected as well and boiling all over.

Need to look into and check the guage..

Doc
Converting it for ya...

140C is 284F
150C is 302F
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Anyway, I will add a bit more info about my car....

Its tuned to produce about 300WHP on a dynojet with about 17.1 psi peak boost. The previous owner said that my head is different, and it has bigger valves. I have DP that is wrapped, and I think my oil temp sender is located near the point where the filter is located. I have an HKS oil cooler with HKS oil thermostat.

I now changed to RP 10w40 oil to see if it makes a difference. But so far, driving it in the streets show it to be similar with the 50wt oil...haven't brought it to the track through.

My oil temps increase when I am on full throttle...I stay on track and push the car 3 hard laps of about 2:00 each...then I drive it 80% for a lap or so, then back to 100% again. The average temp looks to be at 130C and I can see it rise to 150C when I am on the longer parts of the track where I do full throttle runs.

My AFR is in the range of about 11.5 to about 13.5.

I am considering getting a Ralliart thermostat for the radiator, and also possibly removing the oil thermostat to help with cooling i suppose.

any advice would be wonderful!

Oh and by the way, I used to have X-Line Gauges, and now I have PLX...senders are placed in the same place, but the temp readings on both are identical...so that rules out gauge problems.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

another suggestion was to remove the balancer shafts...to increase the flow of oil...it will yield an increase in oil pressure too...but supposedly make it recycle faster, and won't let the oil stay in there too long, before it is passed through the oil cooler...

I am also strongly considering installing my stock oil cooler together with the current HKS oil cooler...

any thoughts on these?

Last edited by exacc; Jun 30, 2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aeroweenie
Previous two times at the track, after the cool down lap, I would have a slightly flickering oil light at idle. This was with Mobil 1 10W30. I haven't installed a proper oil pressure gauge yet so I don't know what the oil pressure was. Anyway, this seems to be somewhat common and may just be a bad sender.

But yesterday I ran with Redline 10W40 and got no oil light flicker. I don't know if it was because it was Redline, or 10W40, or perhaps both.
The 40 wgt may have an effect on that. Depends on the age of the Mobil 1 that was in there and which Mobil 1.

If the other oil had some age on it, it could have been sheared back before you started and was too thin by the end.

A heavier viscosity oil is not necessarily the cure. Some oils just don't hold up as well as others.

Give AMSOIL Product Code SSO 0W-30 a try. It is the Top of The Line and will hold up better to shear than the Mobil 1.

Doc
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
The 40 wgt may have an effect on that. Depends on the age of the Mobil 1 that was in there and which Mobil 1.

If the other oil had some age on it, it could have been sheared back before you started and was too thin by the end.

A heavier viscosity oil is not necessarily the cure. Some oils just don't hold up as well as others.

Give AMSOIL Product Code SSO 0W-30 a try. It is the Top of The Line and will hold up better to shear than the Mobil 1.

Doc
I believe there is a rating that the API uses which has an index that will determine the viscosity of an oil at 100 degrees...which you can use to compare oils from one another in terms of being able to hold its viscosity at high temps.

Checked RP website for the 5w30 I used before...

Viscosity Index = 152
at 100C = 10.6

RP 20w 50

VI = 138
at 100C = 20.2

As per Jeff, Sunoco 5w 50

VI = 182
at 100C 19.2

Mobile 1 5w 30 (recommended for Lancer EVO in USA)

VI = 169
at 100C 11.3
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:46 AM

Accusump

Did anyone ever install an Accusump unit? I have lost two motors now from no oil pressure, high 'G' right hand turns, and I cant wait for a dry sump system. looking to see exactly what parts to get from Canton (valve, canister, etc.)
Old May 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
www.blackstone-labs.com

thx.... just signed up for a free kit... we'll see what happens.

n
Seeing some high temps. I thought they were crazy high, but looks like others have seen much higher.

Thinking of sending in a sample to Blackstone. Any advice on specific testing to ask for?
Old May 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

i never ended up sending my stuff in... but just order their kit & send it in.. i heard they give you all the info in the world & are good to work with.

Kmac... i use a accusump... so far testing has shown ot works/helps with your issue...what u wanna know?
Old May 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I forget the tech names, but oil breakdown and metal content seem to be the most popular. Btw, anyone know why Doc's account got disabled?
Old May 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I forget the tech names, but oil breakdown and metal content seem to be the most popular. Btw, anyone know why Doc's account got disabled?
we take his place
Old May 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Seeing some high temps. I thought they were crazy high, but looks like others have seen much higher.

Thinking of sending in a sample to Blackstone. Any advice on specific testing to ask for?
hey Boomn29,, i am wondering if we should give the lower viscocity oil a try, i was thinking of a 10W30 RD racing oil
Old May 18, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
hey Boomn29,, i am wondering if we should give the lower viscocity oil a try, i was thinking of a 10W30 RD racing oil
I'm thinking Wynn sends us free oil, and we give him racing feedback on it
Old May 18, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Kmac... i use a accusump... so far testing has shown ot works/helps with your issue...what u wanna know?
Why an accusump over the AMS baffled pan?

Quick Reply: oil temps