Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

4 pt Harness for stock seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 pt Harness for stock seats

I'll be getting my harness bar in soon and still need some belts for it. I was just looking for an affordable harness solution for the stock evo seats. So please list what you have, where you got it, and how you like it. I'm pretty tall at 6'4" if that effects comfort at all.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

I guess no one likes to keep the stock seats... lol
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

i just put in gforce 5 point. u dont need to use the 5th point.

i got it from www.discoveryparts.com
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm currently using the 4-pt Schroth Rallye Cross Street Legal ASM Harness belts w/ my stock seat. I got the version that wraps around my roll-bar. It works pretty well, although an anti-sub belt would make it a lot more comfortable.

If you're getting a 4-pt belt, definitely get a Schroth as it has an anti-submarining mechanism built ito the inside shoulder strap. It stretches more in an impact, thus allowing the body to twist a bit and keep it from sliding under the lap belt.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1049&cid=13
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

What do you mean by anti-sub belt?

Also is their an advantage to running one with a hub in the middle where each belt attaches rather than the simply style of the Schroth you listed? Thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a quote from the Schroth website:

Schroth's Street Legal line of harnesses are the only safe 4 point restraints on the market. They feature a unique energy conversion mechanism known as ASM that prevents you from submarining under the lap belt in an impact. Submarining is a very dangerous and common problem with 4 point restraints. Every Schroth street-legal belt is provided with ASM to keep you safely planted in your seat.
http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal

Basically, submarining is your torso sliding far enough under the lap belt in an impact to cause major internal inuries. With the stock 3-pt seat belt, one shoulder is free to move forward. The twist in your body prevents you from sliding under the lap belt. The Schroth belts have a stretching mechanism on one of the shoulder straps that allows your body to twist in an impact, thus preventing you from submarining. I wouldn't use any other 4-pt harness.

Last edited by marksae; Sep 13, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Here's a quote from the Schroth website:

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal

Basically, submarining is your torso sliding far enough under the lap belt in an impact to cause major internal inuries. With the stock 3-pt seat belt, one shoulder is free to move forward. The twist in your body prevents you from sliding under the lap belt. The Schroth belts have a stretching mechanism on one of the shoulder straps that allows your body to twist in an impact, thus preventing you from submarining. I wouldn't use any other 4-pt harness.
Awesome... thanks again for your help. I'm just going to make sure this is ok with the local PCA before purchasing.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

why get a harness bar, rather than at least a roll bar?

and i'd also recommend the schroth's, if you're not gonna do a real 5 pt.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
why get a harness bar, rather than at least a roll bar?

and i'd also recommend the schroth's, if you're not gonna do a real 5 pt.
The evo is my daily driver and I like the use of the back seat. What 5 pt would be recommended? I assumed you had you use a 4 pt. with a harness bar. Is that correct?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

There's been good debate about the safety of harness bars in the event of a rollover. I see some cars at the track that use them, but I question how safe they are.

You can get away w/o using a harness bar w/ the Schroth harnesses. You can get the one that bolts to the floor of the backseat.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

There's been good debate about the safety of harness bars in the event of a rollover. I see some cars at the track that use them, but I question how safe they are.

You can get away w/o using a harness bar w/ the Schroth harnesses. You can get the one that bolts to the floor of the backseat.
yeah, thats exactly what i was using (the schroth's, with no bar)

then i got serious, and went roll bar, as it can only help in the case it happens.

Originally Posted by Haehl
The evo is my daily driver and I like the use of the back seat. What 5 pt would be recommended? I assumed you had you use a 4 pt. with a harness bar. Is that correct?
No, you could run a 5pt, with a harness bar, as the 5th pt is a crotch strap, but you can't run the stock seat with that strap. (safely)

It's unsafe to have someone in the back with a harness bar installed. Sure you could stuff things back there, but don't put people back there, even with it foam rapped, if you get in an accident, they're gonna be hurting, just because of that bar, not to mention the wreck.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
No, you could run a 5pt, with a harness bar, as the 5th pt is a crotch strap, but you can't run the stock seat with that strap. (safely)
Sure you can (although these are 6 points):

CLICK HERE!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently using the 4-pt Schroth Rallye Cross Street Legal ASM Harness belts w/ my stock seat. I got the version that wraps around my roll-bar.......
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1049&cid=13
+1
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Sure you can (although these are 6 points):

CLICK HERE!
i'm nowhere near 100% comfortable with that.

is your under angle at the correct pull?, etc? to chop up a stock seat to do that, i don't put much faith in the seat. With a reclining seat, theres always the chance that the seat cranker coould break in an impact, because, there should never be any force applied to it in normal driving (rear-ended, maybe.)

See what i mean? you hit a wall head on, it's trying to pull you down and back, and you make the seat go "POP". edit: thats why they have the seatback supports now required (if i'm told right)

same kinda thing with the bottom, but less force.

The design, setup, everything was done clean, major plus there, but i'd rather have a bucket seat if something happened.

double edit: but i guess the original guy is sticking with stock seats so i'm outta here

Last edited by WarmPepsi; Sep 14, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

EVERYTHING short of a full cage, seats, harnesses, HANS device, driving suit, gloves, etc, is a compromise. We all pick the compromises we are comfortable accepting and move forward. I have seen no data regarding the seats failing, and yes I looked, so this was my compromise. The sub belt angle is correct and they are properly mounted, and short of buying racing seats the car is as safe as I can make it.

Quick Reply: 4 pt Harness for stock seats