Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

4 pt Harness for stock seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 992gnt
EVERYTHING short of a full cage, seats, harnesses, HANS device, driving suit, gloves, etc, is a compromise. We all pick the compromises we are comfortable accepting and move forward. I have seen no data regarding the seats failing, and yes I looked, so this was my compromise. The sub belt angle is correct and they are properly mounted, and short of buying racing seats the car is as safe as I can make it.
you know what i'm talking about with the seatback braces though, right? I'd never heard of them til late (again, i don't do competitive driving, just fun stuff).
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
you know what i'm talking about with the seatback braces though, right? I'd never heard of them til late (again, i don't do competitive driving, just fun stuff).
Seat brace like the one built into the autopower roll bar?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Seat brace like the one built into the autopower roll bar?
yes. meant to mount an arm to, to keep the seat from being able to recline/move/bend/fold, etc in an impact.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, I am familiar with them. After getting the roll bar installed and seeing how far it sits behind the seat, I was planning on getting them once I understand where exactly the need to be mounted in relation to the seat back. I'll be peeking at a few cars tomorrow at the NASA Nationals to get an idea of what I need to do.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
No, you could run a 5pt, with a harness bar, as the 5th pt is a crotch strap, but you can't run the stock seat with that strap. (safely)

It's unsafe to have someone in the back with a harness bar installed. Sure you could stuff things back there, but don't put people back there, even with it foam rapped, if you get in an accident, they're gonna be hurting, just because of that bar, not to mention the wreck.
I meant to imply that with a harness bar it seems that I could just put it in on the weekends I race. I wouldn't let people in the backseat in the event I had the harness bar in.

I appreciate everyone's insight. I agree that it is a compromise, but I've heard from locals that having a harness really improves driving comfort/ability, and I'm nowhere near putting a cage in my car. In the event of a roll-over, I think I'm going to be hurt without a rollbar whether or not their is a harness bar in there.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Haehl
I meant to imply that with a harness bar it seems that I could just put it in on the weekends I race. I wouldn't let people in the backseat in the event I had the harness bar in.

I appreciate everyone's insight. I agree that it is a compromise, but I've heard from locals that having a harness really improves driving comfort/ability, and I'm nowhere near putting a cage in my car. In the event of a roll-over, I think I'm going to be hurt without a rollbar whether or not their is a harness bar in there.
ahh, i gotcha, and that sounds like a good compromise.