Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

harnesses lol, I know...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already have enough stuff to bolt and unbolt for track days, dont want the harness bar, plus dont wanna pay the extra 2-300. Thirdly this isn't for autoX.

looked more into the G-force... seems only the "pro-series" comes with long enough shoulder straps... The camlock versions only seem to have 50" straps.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Schroth Racing.

Look into the Profi II ASM FE. 3 inch belt.

http://schrothracing.com/products/competition/1598

Great price and better than the rest. Goodluck

Last edited by 1NastyEvo; Nov 8, 2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
thanks nils, 'preciate the effort.
unfortunately I dont think that'll work for a few reasons:
1. brackets look a bit weak
2. straps look 2"... I'd really rather 3"
3. the shoulder straps attach to the laps via loops... I'd really rather a camlock since I'm not running any type of rollbar... easier to get me out, plus just imagining tightening that thing makes me think it will pull the lap up if you tighten the shoulders.

I'm looking at G-force competition harnesses right now, dont seem too pricey. Especially the ones sold on ebay b/c they are out of inspection.

this has been discussed to death.

personally, I wouldnt run a 4 point belt. I have in the past though. Out of any 4 point though I would run the Schroth.. they have that thing on the back of the belt that allows slack in top belt on impact so the top of your body moves forward and over.... so you wont submarine & you will slide over to the side a bit if the roof caves in.

if you get some crazy 3" 5-6 point belt your spline will still be in danger till you get a roll cage.... there just is no optimal solution other than staying all stock w/ CG (like you already have) or going all out.

good luck.

n
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

great price as in more than the rest? ...very expensive. Thanks for the input though!

Last edited by honki24; Nov 8, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

hmm... perhaps I'll just get another CG for the instructor for the time being... and make him deal with it...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I already have enough stuff to bolt and unbolt for track days, dont want the harness bar, plus dont wanna pay the extra 2-300. Thirdly this isn't for autoX.
nils is right... theres no argument for 'im lazy and want to save a few bucks'.

use the stock belts.. save $1000 and bolt nothing in... otherwise its a compromise that sounds like you dont want to make.

you can look at it this way.. if its a bad enough accident.. youre dead either way.. but you saved $1000.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, i use the Schroth Rallye 3 belts:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evosafety.htm

They work well, and are designed to be used on the road - don't need a roll bar. As was described earlier, they have short section of inboard shoulder belt that extends in the case of an impact to allow your body to roll towards the centerline of the car. I use the mounting point for the rear shoulder straps as the mount for the Schroth belts. This is described in the Schroth installation instructions.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no need to get a CG lock for the passenger seat. The passenger seat belt has a built-in locking mechanism. If you pull the belt all the way out and let it retract, it'll be self-locking during retract.

I have my passengers do this when they ride w/ me at the track. I have them lock their seat belt, then scoot their seat up a notch. This keeps them in well enough.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

The only 4 point I would EVER consider is the Schroth, at least they've put some engineering behind their setup. That being said it sounds like you need a cg lock for the passenger seat, or use the method above. To me anything else is too big of a compromise. Also, a sub-belt will do nothing for belt stretch in an impact. It's to keep you from submarining under the lap belts and destroying your innards.

EDIT: I personally ended up going with an Autopower bar and G-Force 6 point competition belts this past summer. The stock belts are not designed to handle an incident at 130 mph. The kids are ticked the Evo is a two seater now, but I owe it to them to be as safe as possible pursuing my hobby.

Last edited by 992gnt; Nov 8, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
The only 4 point I would EVER consider is the Schroth, at least they've put some engineering behind their setup. That being said it sounds like you need a cg lock for the passenger seat, or use the method above. To me anything else is too big of a compromise. Also, a sub-belt will do nothing for belt stretch in an impact. It's to keep you from submarining under the lap belts and destroying your innards.

EDIT: I personally ended up going with an Autopower bar and G-Force 6 point competition belts this past summer. The stock belts are not designed to handle an incident at 130 mph. The kids are ticked the Evo is a two seater now, but I owe it to them to be as safe as possible pursuing my hobby.
simpson 5 pts and roll bar.

yep, i'll never do the 4 pt thing again, but the schroth is the way to go if your mind is set.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

seems to me that the schroth harness may be a good deal after all.... DOT approved and anti submarining... guess that's better than possible spinal injury from a 5pt. Anyone who has one please chime in... I'm a bit concerned with how the shoulder straps connect to the lap belts. The way the shoulder straps loop over the lap belts seems to pose a problem in that if you tighten the shoulder straps, the lap belt will tend to pull up... since there is no central point of connection.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Ralleye 4 ASM ftw
Old Nov 9, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

seems to me that the schroth harness may be a good deal after all.... DOT approved and anti submarining... guess that's better than possible spinal injury from a 5pt. .

sounds like youve got your mind made up and arent listening.. why keep this thread going?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

dude, please... I appreciate your input, but if you've got nothing further to say, please just check out any of the other cool threads here man. I'm keeping this going because I'm asking owners of the schroth harness to chime in so I can get some idea. I'm sorry I'm not living my life as you see fit.

Jamdown- do you have the Ralleye 4? what are your impressions of how it tightens down with the shoulder straps being looped around the waist? Does it hold you in place well? Does the lap belt seem to be pulled up uncomfortably high?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

I ended up getting a Schroth Rallye 4 harness since I wanted to keep my stock seats. I wouldn't have gone w/ any other 4-pt. I got the one where the shoulder straps wrap around my roll-bar.

The anti-sub mechanism on the shoulder strap is what sold me. There's a video on the Schroth website where they showed the crash testing they've done w/ the belts. So it gives me some peace of mind knowing that they've at least done some testing on their belts.

With the waist straps tightened down good, the harness isn't too bad. If you don't tighten the waist strap down enough, it'll ride up a lot when you tighten the shoulder straps.

Quick Reply: harnesses lol, I know...