Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Why is it that the majority of evo owners running harnesses DON'T have a rollbar????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is it that the majority of evo owners running harnesses DON'T have a rollbar????

Alright.....I have been doing HPDE in my race car for three years now and even on Honda forums (race car is ITR) it is common knowledge that it is HIGHLY unsafe to run harnesses and/or fixed back seats without ROLLOVER protection.....so why is it that so many of you just run harness bars??? Or run harnesses to the back seat???

Technically these setups shouldn't even pass tech....in event of a bad rollover the whole roof can collapse without a rollbar. And with anyone strapped into the seat they could get their head crushed.

So I am wondering why so many evo owners that say they track the car all the time are running such unsafe safety setups????

I realize that most of you don't want to run and turn your five seater into a two seater, but at what point do you realize that safety always comes first and that neglecting it will eventually cause injury or death. I know there are alot of self professed hotshoes in here and I am just curious. There are always a few people that die every year during HPDE due to rollovers without protection.

So I urge you for the safety of you and your instructor/passengers to read up on how a harness/rollbar or cage WORK TOGETHER.

-Running harnesses w/o rollover protection is unsafe
-running fixed back seats and harnesses w/o rollover protection is unsafe

So if you MUST run harnesses, the best way to go is to have a rollbar (4pt if it is a street car) w/ an integrated harnessbar connected to the main hoop.

Be safe guys. I hope this post can educate some people about what is safe and what is not.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT SAFE!!!

Have SAFE fun guys.

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You're absolutely correct. I don't understand it myself.... maybe they just want to look cool?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im guessing that its a style thing for many people. So if they roll on a regular street have a roll bar and no helmet is probably just as bad as harness/no bar combo.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually no a 4pt. rollbar w/ STOCK seatbelts and no helmet is perfectly fine. All of the bars are behind you and even in the event of an accident the crossbrace prevents the seat and yourself from going backward.

6pt with bars to the front would be a different story though. I wouldnt run 6pt on the street.

My stock seatbelts are still in tact in the race car for when I drive to the track. And I clip the harness in when I get to the track.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

lets start a fund called 'stop the madness'... it would go towards funding roll cages to EVO's that have harnessses.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nils
lets start a fund called 'stop the madness'... it would go towards funding roll cages to EVO's that have harnessses.

roll bars can cost way less than coilovers.. but everyone has those.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:53 AM
ez
Evolving Member

We've been through this before on here. The problem is usually laziness, lack of money, or they don't want to do something permanent to the car. What people need to understand is that they will be doing something permanent to their body in a crash and that related medical bills cost more than a safe cage and belts (that is, if they survive).

Here is one such thread discussing anti-sub belts. You'll find that almost nobody runs those...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=safe

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Alright.....I have been doing HPDE in my race car for three years now and even on Honda forums (race car is ITR) it is common knowledge that it is HIGHLY unsafe to run harnesses and/or fixed back seats without ROLLOVER protection.....so why is it that so many of you just run harness bars??? Or run harnesses to the back seat???

Technically these setups shouldn't even pass tech....in event of a bad rollover the whole roof can collapse without a rollbar. And with anyone strapped into the seat they could get their head crushed.

So I am wondering why so many evo owners that say they track the car all the time are running such unsafe safety setups????

I realize that most of you don't want to run and turn your five seater into a two seater, but at what point do you realize that safety always comes first and that neglecting it will eventually cause injury or death. I know there are alot of self professed hotshoes in here and I am just curious. There are always a few people that die every year during HPDE due to rollovers without protection.

So I urge you for the safety of you and your instructor/passengers to read up on how a harness/rollbar or cage WORK TOGETHER.

-Running harnesses w/o rollover protection is unsafe
-running fixed back seats and harnesses w/o rollover protection is unsafe

So if you MUST run harnesses, the best way to go is to have a rollbar (4pt if it is a street car) w/ an integrated harnessbar connected to the main hoop.

Be safe guys. I hope this post can educate some people about what is safe and what is not.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT SAFE!!!

Have SAFE fun guys.

Last edited by ez; Nov 10, 2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I read about the pros and cons of both ways. For me, my EVO is my daily driver and until it is paid off, it will continue to be my daily driver. After if is paid of, the real fun will begin as I'll probably go all out and get a roll cage.

As it is, I just use a 4pt harness that attach to the rear seatbelt buckle along with the stock seatbelt system, yes I know about the risk of submarining. But there is a inherent risk if you part-take in this type of sport. Fixed back seat with out a roll cage is just plain unsafe. IMHO, roll bars are also unsafe as they don't allow the stock seats to fold back incase of a roll over. Also with out a helmet, there is a chance that you can hit your noggin on the roll bar. On the other hand, driving in a car with a roll cage with no helmet and no padding on the roll cage is also unsafe.

The way I see it is either go all the way with a roll cage setup which doesn't suit a dialy driver or do little to nothing with the stock setup to be on the safer side. I chose the latter for now...
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
The way I see it is either go all the way with a roll cage setup which doesn't suit a dialy driver or do little to nothing with the stock setup to be on the safer side. I chose the latter for now...

so why spend $300 on 4-pts?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan0
so why spend $300 on 4-pts?
It's mostly for auto-x, so I don't get thrown out of my seat while cornerning ... I know I could have gone with a CG-lock or twist the seat belt trick ....
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

idk i heard evos have a sort of built in rollcage

my friend rolled his evo 4 times n walked away w/o a scratch (wheel poped at liek 100mph after just installing an hks gt3037)
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Although I understand the logic of saying you should have a cage if you're strapped in tightly...does anyone know of any incidents where someone was hurt by having harnesses and no cage, and would have been better off without the harnesses? I'd say having harnesses is going to be safer, on average, than just having three-point belts. The chance of rolling is low. The risk of flying around the inside of your car in a non-rollover crash is pretty high.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
idk i heard evos have a sort of built in rollcage
all new cars have a 'built in' roll cage.. its designed for street accidents at 55 mph.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
Although I understand the logic of saying you should have a cage if you're strapped in tightly...does anyone know of any incidents where someone was hurt by having harnesses and no cage, and would have been better off without the harnesses? I'd say having harnesses is going to be safer, on average, than just having three-point belts. The chance of rolling is low. The risk of flying around the inside of your car in a non-rollover crash is pretty high.
again.. if the shoulder harnesses pull the lap belt up to the middle of your stomach.. bad.. a 3-pt wont do that.. in fact it tightens around your hips.

and the risk of roll over low?.. ive seen 6 cars roll-over at tracks.. all have been evos.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

i think the majority of people here with harnesses but no rollcage do it for autox so theyre kept planted in the seat. roll cages arent safe for street driving because theyre designed to be used with a helmet. also with the harnesses mounted to the backseat, alot of people want to be able to quickly disconnect them if they need to fit more people in the car, which u definatly should not have if u have a rollcage or harness bar

Quick Reply: Why is it that the majority of evo owners running harnesses DON'T have a rollbar????