Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
This was installed on my new ’06 EVO IX RS which was being built from the ground up for competition in SCCA Solo2 Street Modifed class.

You can modify the front support beam by cutting out a 1”t x 18”w x 3”d section from the bottom of it and it will fit perfectly. That is what I did. I also welded some strips of sheet metal back onto so that you don’t have hollow openings where you cut. It looks stock now and weighs the same as the stocker.
I thought modifying the support beam wasn't legal in SM - do you think this would qualify under the "minor notching, bending, clearancing, grinding" allowance?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Removal of the support beam is not legal, and just cutting off part of it would not be legal either. I consider "modifying" the bumper support minor as long as it retains the overall shape of the original, keeps the original mounts, and weighs the same as the original. When you see it you clearly know "Oh, that's an EVO front bumper support beam".

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

EVOlutionary...do you have pics after you modified the crash beam??? I'd like to see your end result, as I'm thinking about getting the same bumper...TIA...

Dennis
Old Aug 7, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReSin
EVOlutionary...do you have pics after you modified the crash beam??? I'd like to see your end result, as I'm thinking about getting the same bumper...TIA...

Dennis
Sorry, don't currently have any pics. I will try to get some posted next time I have the front end off the car.

Although I haven't read the rules closely, I would think in XP you can remove the bumpers/bumper supports??? Maybe not, but it seems like it would be within the "spirit of the class".

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to keep it on, as there are a lot of whacked drivers out here in Cali...

Dennis
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thought I would bump this thread. Maybe some folks who are making more aero bits nowadays can chime in and link to their build or sales threads (JID in particular). . .

Here are some pics of my current setup. Sorry if they are dark - taken in my garage at night . . .

Block off plates I made for my Voltex front bumper. Should add downforce by letting less air get on top of the undertray, as well as reduce drag by keeping air our of the wheel wells. . .

Block off plates mounted. Will eventually install NACA ducts to route air to my brakes. . .

Here is a NACA duct that I am going to mount in the block off plates. . .

Here are some mounting pics of my newest design DHP splitter. It has a similar venturi shape and area as the Voltex race splitter, but does not stick out past the fenders to keep it legal for SCCA SM class. It mounts with 4 bolts in recessed/flush mount fender washers from the bottom that go into the horizontal aluminum bar. This bar is mounted to the chassis with 4 bars that mount to the frame to support the verical load, as well as 2 bars that tie in horizontally to reduce fore/aft movement. I use different thickness wood spacers between the splitter and the aluminum bar to change angle of attack and ground clearance. In the rear, there are 2 loops welded onto one of the subframe braces and the splitter has 2 tabs that slide into that. . .

The splitter makes enough downforce that you can feel a difference even at autocross speeds. It is quite an improvement from earlier designs that only had two small ducts/venturis. At my last HPDE for the final session I swapped on some Hoosier A6's in place of the Star Specs and told the instuctor (who runs an EVO in TTU) that I was trying out some grippier tires. He asked what I was running before and when I said just skinny street tires he was shocked! He said something to the efffect of "Wow, this thing really grips!"

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jun 26, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's alot of areo for sure.

I'm surprised you kept the stock front crash beam. If its needed for support and tow can't you replace that with an aluminum bar?

How do you plan on cooling the oil with the block of plates in place?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

For drags and autocross I don't need any airflow to the oil cooler. For road-course use I will probably find another source of air for the oil cooler . . .

As for the bumper support, I have to keep it per the rules of StreetMod class in SCCA autocross

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jun 27, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

double post ninja

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jun 28, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's stupid to use block off plate and get no air for your oil cooler unless your oil cooler is in front.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
it's stupid to use block off plate and get no air for your oil cooler unless your oil cooler is in front.
Thanks for the warning
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a way to calculate the amount of addition down force you are getting with the addition of splitter and huge wing?

That would be neat to see.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a question about added downforce. Has anyone ever tested the amount of force that actually gets applied to the car for the cost of the added accessories> When I raced street bikes you could simply wrap a ziptie around a shock and determine how much the suspension moved. It would be easy to do the same on a car. At speed, considering no suspension adjustments are made, you could test to see if more force is applied simply by how far your suspension moved. (E.G. driving down a somewhat flat straight road pre vortex and post vortex kit.) I know there's devices that can actually measure downforce applied, but I don't think any of us are aero engineers that would have it readily available for testing.

Just a thought. I would love to see data, but maybe I just need to drive a car on a track with a kit and see how it compares.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the thing... I always hear how well the areo performs but I don't see much data backing it up .... other than laws of science that is....

It would be nice to see cornering speeds of the same car with and without areo. That or braking data that shows decreased stopping distances.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

How about lap times with and without? That would be the easiest way to do it. I have a DL-1 datalogger but I need someone local to give me a hand with the software and calibration.

Downforce is like horsepower. You can feel it in your butt dyno. You KNOW it's there whether you have had your car on a dyno or in a wind tunnel, or not. Just like increased HP should result in lower ET's on the dragstrip, increased grip should result in decreased lap times. . .

I had planned on testing everthing in a wind tunnel. There is a relatively affordable one down around North Carolina. http://a2wt.com/ Just have not had the extra $$ laying around. I even designed a 12 step process to test the car from stock all the way up to full aero package to see the effect each individual component had. Maybe some day I'll get down there. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jun 28, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review