Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
EVO Aerodynamics Review

The following is a review of multiple aerodynamic parts I have tested and/or installed on my EVOs over the past few years. I think it will be of interest to folks who track or race thier EVOs.

#1 – DHP Composites (DHPcomp@gmail.com) prototype front splittter/undertray for the EVO VIII front bumper.

This was installed on my ’04 EVO VIII in 2006 and ran all through the autocross season. It consists of a base layer of aluminum, center layer of foam core (except for the splitter/lip area), and a top layer of carbon fiber. There is an air duct/venturi on each side that ducts air toward the wheel wells. There is a vertical lip that extends up from the splitter about 1.5” to seal it off against the bottom of the front bumper. This unit weighed an estimated 20 pounds. Initial durability and resistance to damage was very good. Misjudging the angle of attack to get into steep driveways would result in the splitter flexing and the aluminum bottom scraping on the ground, taking the majority of the abuse. Durability and repairability of larger impacts was not so great. Once I hit a curb with the side of it. The aluminum and carbon layers separated and the aluminum bent up while the carbon just flexed. We were able to bend the aluminum back to flat and re-epoxy the layers together. Much more of an impact and it may not have been repairable.

This unit was added to a neutral handling Street Modified class autocross car. The effect was immediately noticeable. The front end had a lot more grip than before and the rear end was much more active in corners. Oversteer could be induced either by lift-throttle/braking in tight corners or power-on acceleration through larger sweepers. The power oversteer was something that was completely new to me! As speeds increased the rear end got progressively more unstable causing some difficulty in high speed slaloms and quick transitions. The front just had so much more grip that the rear could not keep up. . .

#2 – Voltex front bumper/Voltex twin canards/Voltex undertray.

This was installed on my new ’06 EVO IX RS which was being built from the ground up for competition in SCCA Solo2 Street Modifed class. I wanted every aerodynamic advantage the rulebook allows, so I went with Voltex based on their racing history, work with EVO aerodynamics, and wind tunnel testing of all their parts.

These 3 pieces came as one unit already assembled. Fitment was VERY good as far as body kits go. I had to take a sander to a little spot by the drivers side headlight to keep it from scratching up the light. Other than that, it was just painted and installed. It came with pre-cut mesh for the two upper sets of holes, and mesh already installed in the very bottom small holes. The directions for all Voltex stuff are in Japanese with only a couple pictures. It would be a good idea for Voltex to maybe re-write them in English for it’s North American market. The Voltex pieces can be installed just by going off the pictures and using some common sense, though.

First thing I noticed is that while the fiberglass bumper is strong and rigid, it is quite a bit less flexible and pliable than the urethane stock unit. The bottom of the bumper sits a bit lower than the stock unit. With it, I scraped on some driveways that I never scraped on before. It has a splitter-like element built into the bottom area of it. The center hole is huge and makes the stock intercooler look puny. The ARC wide model fills the hole perfectly, as does the Blitz intercooler. No trimming was necessary to fit the ARC model. The front bumper support does not fit as-is with the Voltex front bumper. The intercooler hole is taller than the stock bumper. You can modify the front support beam by cutting out a 1”t x 18”w x 3”d section from the bottom of it and it will fit perfectly. That is what I did. I also welded some strips of sheet metal back onto so that you don’t have hollow openings where you cut. It looks stock now and weighs the same as the stocker.

The undertray is fairly thin and flexible (~1/8”), although the craftsmanship is superb! It mounts to the bottom of the bumper with 13 bolts, and also to several brackets that attach to the chassis. The undertray IS functional. I could feel quite a difference in front end grip with it mounted vs. with it off. Also, at speed on the highway the front end just felt more “planted”. For a daily driver street car I feel this is a perfect setup, and when my car is off the track for extended times it will definitely go back on in place of the larger splitter/undertray (see below). This unit helped take me to a 2nd place finish in the Winged Warrior 3 autocross, even low on power running stock boost and pump gas!

#3 – DHP splitter/undertray for Voltex front bumper.

This unit is made to match up with the Voltex front bumper. It has a top and bottom layer of carbon sandwiching a foam core. It is much thicker and stiffer than the prototype I ran earlier, while weighing only about 1/3 what the prototype did. Weight is approx. 6 pounds for the unit itself, 8 pounds with mounting hardware. Finish is very good to excellent. Durability for this unit should be very good for a track car, but for a street car you will need to be very careful with driveways and curbs. One good thing – this should be easier to repair if need be than the one with the aluminum base.

It is hard to say which splitter/undertray would make more actual downforce since I had them on 2 totally different cars. The new car with the Voltex front end and the new splitter handled very well. It had a ton of turn in grip and rotated very well. After driving it in several races, including a higher speed Solo Trials, I came to realize that it was rear traction at higher speeds that was limiting the potential. It felt as though I could throw the car into turns faster and the front would stick, but the rear would want to come around. Also, in slaloms and quick transitions it felt as though if we pushed too hard the rear end would come around. Time for some rear downforce!!

#4 – DHP rear wing for EVO VIII or IX.

This unit is made to work with the DHP front splitter, matching downforce front and rear. The wing element weighs about 5-6 pounds, plus the aluminum mounts. It can be set to different angles of attack based on intended use. Right now I have it set at max angle for the most downforce at autocross speeds.

After adding the wing the car developed horrible push all through the corners. Corner entry and exit. We made some other changes at the same time as adding the wing so we tried to adjust those. With no real results, we decided to go to the sway bar. Just a simple modification to the swaybar made the car a whole new beast! In slow speed corners the front bites, the rear end rotates and gets you pointed the way you want to go. In high speed sweepers and slaloms the car just sticks!

Getting late. More to come soon. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Dec 25, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up...

did you have to make any spring rate changes or valving? have you done any track testing (not autox)?

I have the Voltex full dry carbon undertray / wing and i'm thinking I will need to go up 3-400lbs in the front and 200 in the rear.

-Kyle
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Great write-up, thanks for sharing!

What happened to the other thread? Was it (and all of it's valuable information) deleted by over-zealous moderators who could have just removed a few posts?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

neat review, but we need pics!!

anyhow, here is more useful info on the stock aerodynamics (comparing an evo to an STI)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=wind+tunnel
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Nice write up...

did you have to make any spring rate changes or valving? have you done any track testing (not autox)?

I have the Voltex full dry carbon undertray / wing and i'm thinking I will need to go up 3-400lbs in the front and 200 in the rear.

-Kyle
Nice! If I were not constrained by SCCA rules I would be running something like that! I have not personally had it on a road course, but Robert (of RobiSpec) has tested the prototype and had good success with it. I did do a high speed autocross (max speeds ~90mph) and that is when I really felt I needed the rear wing to balance the car.

No spring rate changes yet, but they have not been ruled out as we continue to sort the car. We are already on the high side compared to many other cars out there. . .

Originally Posted by jbrown
Great write-up, thanks for sharing!

What happened to the other thread? Was it (and all of it's valuable information) deleted by over-zealous moderators who could have just removed a few posts?
I have no idea. I didn't see any inappropriate post in there, so I don't know what happened. Hopefully the mods will clean up whatever they didn't like and open it back up. You are right, there is a lot of information in there. . .

My guess is that someone had a fit because the guy building custom parts in his garage is not a "Vendor", and was talking about selling said parts and pricing, etc. . . If that's the problem, then hopefully they will just delete and sales oriented posts and leave the rest up. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
cmj
Evolving Member

Thanks for starting a new thread. It's too bad that all that great info was deleted in your last thread. Hopefully we can reclaim all that lost info in here.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for contributing this type of thread...Aerodynamics are often overlooked and not discussed often enough...Anyone who says aerodynamics are useless should be directed to this thread...Your review is concise and accurate...Voltex aero parts are not only the best-looking parts in the industry, they are engineered for the fastest autos...The front splitter from DHP looks like a well-crafted piece, I would like to see comparison shots (if you have them) to the Voltex piece you were talking about...Also, have you considered running front canards?...Your problem now is that the rear has too much downforce, making the car push (understeer)...Evasive had a great deal of success installing the Voltex front canards...From what I remember reading, there was enough downforce to create a gap between the factory bumper and fenders...I see them in the earlier pictures, without the wing, but not with...From one SCCA member to another, I salute your efforts...Thanks again, keep us all posted...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled

This is the Voltex Dry Carbon SPL Splitter thats on the time attack cyber evo front bumper. Its about an inch thick dry carbon and it bolted on the frame itself to hold 900+ pounds of downforce.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm waiting for my new Voltex bumper so I can have my proper downforce!

I'll have lots of pics once I get it installed, and lots of pics from Road America, if I get it before my NASA weekend, August 4th & 5th.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

One of the aerodynamic "features" that I would like to correct on my 03 is the parachute effect of the rear bumper cover. I was convinced to get the APR rear diffuser to direct air beneath the rear cover when I noticed the rear of the AMS time attack car:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=286343

According to the AMS website, they are using the APR wide body kit. This doesn't seem to include any kind of diffuser or cover under the rear area. Instead, the bumper cover has a much higher bottom edge. It wouldn't catch the under-car airflow nearly as much as the stocker. This might be an easier way to remove the parachute effect of the stock cover and be more tolerant of muffler size/placement and exhaust routing.

Is this a reasonable approach? Does anyone know of a stand-alone rear bumper cover that is cut high like the APR wide body kit?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

contact Revision Auto salon.

they have what your looking for but be sure to contact them via phone.

Last edited by Speedlimit; Sep 13, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JondemandSales

This is the Voltex Dry Carbon SPL Splitter thats on the time attack cyber evo front bumper. Its about an inch thick dry carbon and it bolted on the frame itself to hold 900+ pounds of downforce.
I remember seeing that splitter sitting on top of that garbage can, and some guy came over and was like "Are they throwing it away?" and tried to take off with it.

LOL
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I don't understand how the orange cone coming off the driver's side front bumper aids in aerodynamics?......brake cooling maybe?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yeh, It's a new Ram Air brake cooling kit. I have them in stock. I'll sell you one for $500, 2 for $1100, but you need to figure out your own mounting and ducting, because it's custom, yo!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

badass!!!...anyone in for a group buy?

Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review