Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats Tom, great to hear the car is running strong and winning! Too bad you couldn't find a more helpfull driver than Paul.

Any plans to improve it even more for the next event? Of course you have the power part covered. LMK if you ever need any more APR aero parts. I also have some custom Evo specific parts made that allow more wing options.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey folks,
Here are some scans of the official results in the street tire class. TuningTech/AMS made a clean sweep. Thank goodness for JC Meynet getting stuck behind the Craword car (nothing against Crawford, they just didn't bring the heat for this class). Paul says my brakes were absolute toast on the fifth lap. We didn't have time to bleed them due to the fact that we were too busy swapping sides on my one blown rear strut. It was leaking fluid everywhere when Paul drove back into the paddock from the fastest lap competition. We should have been 5 secs faster on lap 6.

Anyways, take a look:

This first one was the fastest lap from the five lap battle:

This one shows our times on all five laps:

This last one is the final results on the single quickest lap competition:

We have already made several little changes to make the car faster and more reliable: AMS is sending me their brake duct cooling kit and some Castrol SRF. AMS also sent the Whiteline roll center kit, but it arrived too late for this competition.

Finally, I'd like to point out the reliability of my 2.3 motor. It is the straight, off the shelf 2.3 AMS sells. It was put together and machined by Tuning Tech with great care. It now has 22,000 miles on it since the build and has survived 2 road racing stints and 2 drag racing events. However, the beating I put on the motor just giving joy rides, getting stuck in daily traffic, and the million cold starts it suffer through has got to be worse than the racing.

Next up: bigger power. AMS VSR (finally gonna put it on), better/bigger turbo, and other do hickies.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow-results1.jpg   Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow-results2.jpg   Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow-results3.jpg   Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow-results4.jpg  

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 21, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tom,

Great write-up, I just now saw it! It was nice to meet you and your crew, all really nice guys. Sorry we didnt see you at Laguna the following weekend, next time?

Always interesting to hear about other's trials and tribulations getting ready for a race. That Superlap battle on Tue was the beginning of a week of racing and about 500 track miles for my car. Amazingly, my car ran great up until the cool-off lap of the last race at Laguna, then it blew the h-gasket. At least it made it thru the races!

Now that I have to take out the motor, it's time for a power increase. Seeing that you have your car "detuned" to just under 500 and mine was stretched to make about 340, I at least know what zone the target should be. I doubt I'll get 500 but an honest 425-450 wil make me happy! Spotting PG 100 lbs of bodyweight on top of everything else doesnt help either altho running so close to a guy of his talent in such a potent car makes me really happy and looking forward to racing you guys again once I power up.

I too had a great 5 lap battle going on too until the 3rd or 4th lap when the Crawford WRX parked me in turn 1. I had to exit a full gear lower than normal and with little momentum going towards the esses. I bet that was the aprox 3 seconds I needed to beat you guys, esp with your dying brakes.

Oh well, stuff happens, take care.

JCM
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, just a little bench racing....

I woulda/coulda/shoulda beat you guys in the five lapper if I had been able to match my best lap x5, even with your 5 second slowest lap removed. Oh well, that was up to me to get those times and I didn't deliver. I don't know what all 5 of my laps were but my first one you posted was not gonna get the job done. No one to blame for that but myself.

Still, lots of fun and there is no shame in finishing a close 2nd to you guys!

Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mxpop
BTW, just a little bench racing....

I woulda/coulda/shoulda beat you guys in the five lapper if I had been able to match my best lap x5, even with your 5 second slowest lap removed. Oh well, that was up to me to get those times and I didn't deliver. I don't know what all 5 of my laps were but my first one you posted was not gonna get the job done. No one to blame for that but myself.

Still, lots of fun and there is no shame in finishing a close 2nd to you guys!

Just wondering, have you received my PMs?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

I see them now, I'm old enough to be only 50% computer literate....
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Please excuse my shameless attention whoring , lol: http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=53668.0