Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow

Full writeup to come, but we won both competitions in the street class: the single fastest lap and the 5 lap challenge. We did 2:01.0 on #13 counter clockwise. For now, enoy the pics:

Japanese Magazine coverage

We pitted with the super fast AMS car and team.

Competant and good natured: Justin from AMS.

Driver Paul Gerrard:

My car:

Redline TV interviewing the quit witted and affable Chronohunter:

Me about to scrape the wood ramp of my friend's trailor with my splitter:

Martin, Paul, and Justin setting up the garage while the Tuning Tech mechanics make last second adjustment to the TTech car's splitter.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 12, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good, man!

l8r)
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Since it looks like the cat is out of the bag....

Tuning Technologies won BOTH the fastest single lap and the five lap battles. We did a 2:01.0 on the counterclockwise configuration #13 at Buttonwillow. We were in the street class and had to run Hankook Z212 tires with a 200 wear rating. For street tires, they held up pretty nicely and I expect a lot of folks will be testing them out on Evos soon.

A big shoutout to the Harmon Motive STI which was breathing down our necks the whole time in both events. We kept the boost down the entire event, deciding to play it safe.

The car ran great! Thanks to Paul Gerrard for great driving. Here is another pic that someone posted in another thread:

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 11, 2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

^thats a pretty vicious pic

Go tuning tech!!!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

great job guys. nice to see you are still in the game tom, and good job keeping those subies down... ohh and i see you copied me and got an e9 front end? Lol
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

STOCK air box?????????
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Asitha,
Yes, Evo 9 bumper and stock airbox. Runs like stock FTW!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:55 PM
MD@
Evolving Member

Congrats TT. Wheel color choice is a little off to me though.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Its a tt car bro.. it doenst have to be a show car as well.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

wait, im confused... so what did works then win?

how many classes & how many cars?

thx,
n
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Works won the tuner class. We won the street class. They and the other tuner cars were allowed to run race tires (Hankook Z214s) 275 x 35 x 18 50 or 70 wear rating: http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc...il.asp?pid=751

We had to have full stock interior and run street tires (Hankook Z212s) 265 x 35 x 18 200 wear rated found here:
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/Z212.pdf

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 12, 2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MD@
Congrats TT. Wheel color choice is a little off to me though.
They are matt black 5Zigen FN01rc. They are covered in brake dust in those photos. They look pretty nice when cleaned up.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

What no mention of me, I am hurt tom.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the relatively "full" writeup:

I got a call from Paul Gerrard that he wanted Tuning Technologies to enter my car in the Import Tuner Evo vs STI shootout to be held on Tuesday, November 6th. AMS was actually invited, but since they have a tire sponsorship with BFG, they couldn't enter their shop car as all cars in this shootout had to run Hankook tires. Tuning Tech was happy to sign on, and we worked with Eric and Martin AMS to get the car signed up and our tires ordered. A huge thanks to AMS for working with us. We had a lot prep to do to be ready in just a week. Thank goodness my wheels had come in the week before.

Aerodynamics:
I had absolutely no aero enhancements on my car - less than stock actually since I don't run the factory undertray. I wasn't going to be able to afford crazy aerodynamic aids and we needed parts FAST. Unfortunately, it seemed like EVERYONE was at SEMA. Eventually, we tracked down an APR GTC 200 carbon fiber rear wing and APR front fender canards from SP Engineering Very nice guys who stayed open late to wait for me. We found an APR front splitter from Jeff at 500whp.com. Thanks to Jeff as well for letting me come to his home fairly late on a Friday night. Installation of the canards and wing was a breeze (thanks Pat and Maurice). But installing the front splitter was going to be a challenge. It only comes with two hangers. We had to reinforce the lower lip of the bumper with additional bracing and we also found ways to bolt the front bumper to the car more securely. On Monday, the day before the race, APR was able to supply us with extra braces. The spliter could still use a little more bracing for stiffness and downforce, but we were at least satisfied that we were A) safe, and B) making enough downforce to be significantly better than stock. At the races, Paul G said the car felt very nuetral at high speeds and recommended no adjustments to the rear wing over the course of the day. O0

Alignment:
A very big thanks to Darin at West End Alignment in Gardena. He got me in on Halloween night and worked until he got my alignment and cornerweighting perfect. I believe he also aligned the second place car as well: the Harmon Motive STI.

Transportation and Lodging:
We stayed at the Willow Inn the night before. We had my car in my buddies trailer and it was pulled by another buddies Nissan Titan. The trailer was a little big for the truck and caused by buddy to drive like Miss Daisy: He went between 50 and 53 mph for the entire way there and back. It was like watching paint dry. On top of that, the driver came down with a terrible cold and I trapped in the cabin with him for 5 hours each direction. When we got home, I came down with his cold. ops: :tickedoff: We all stayed at the Willow Inn on Monday night. When the AMS crew arrived (Martin, Chris, and Justin) we all went to this local place and had bbq. A certain TTech mechanic had one to many... :2funny:

Tires:
We showed up early but the Hankook big rig was late. Me and the Harmon Motive Sti driver/owner got in line first when it did eventually show up. We helped unload their huge rigging and display stuff. Inside were our tires. The semi had a complete tire changing and balancing machine onboard. The STI guy, was pretty bummed, as his order was not shipped. The officials decided to let him run on his 255 40 17 Advan Neovas. My Hankooks were 265 wide and luckily for me, they shipped the right ones for us.

Brakes:
For brakes, we just used the stock rear rotors and sourced a set of Performance Friction 2 piece rotors for the front from www.rotorsandpads.com. Great customer service, btw. We used PF-01s for our pads. These were the same brake pads we used for the Redline Time Attack last February. For brake fluid, we used Motul rbf600. We ran out of time to bleed our brakes before the 5 lap battle and that hurt us: Paul ran 2:01, 2:01, 2:01, 2:01, 2:06. That last lap, the brakes were done and it obviously hurt our last lap by around 5 seconds. Castrol spf and some sort of ducting would have helped a lot...

Power:
Alfred tuned the car conservatively and we were planning on running about 505whp/450wtq. At the track, we decided that we could get the job done with a few less psi of boost and backed off the MBC to the point where we were probably running around 460/420. Although we won the first event with this strategy, it turned out to almost be a mistake. The Harmon Motive STI was driven superbly and set up very nicely. It turned out to be breathing down our neck the entire day. After winning the fastest single lap battle, we decided that Paul should be able to win the 5 lap challenge running the same boost, due to his consistency. We barely held on again FTW with our brakes fading so badly on the last lap and having only three functional dampers. :uglystupid2:

Suspension:
I ordered the Whiteline roll center adjustment kit from AMS, but it didn't show up in time for this event. Oh well, back to the track action: When Paul drove in to the paddock after the single fastest lap battle, my right rear strut was leaking fluid like crazy. Paul found nicks and scratches on the shaft that I must have been responsible for over the last two years of occassional assembly/disassembly. It was enough to damage the seal. I scratched the right rear pretty severely while assembling/dissassembling them in the past. Put a pro driver in your car and let him beat on it and he will find the weakest link in the chain and break it. Moe hustled to swap the left rear strut with the right rear, since the course was mostly left turns. We slapped it back together and Paul took it out.

The Awards Ceremony:
This was a lot of fun. We won two really classy crystal trophies. Redline TV was on hand to interview Paul Gerrard and others and they also organized a really cool victory lap type thing where we all drove our cars around the track as they filmed and photoed us.

Thanks to Alfred for making my car into the strong reliable machine that it is. Thanks to Jen for immediately saying YES, LETS DO THIS and then following through on all the details. Thanks to Moe and Pat for their incredible stamina while wrencing and preparing my car. Thanks to Matt for the trailer. Thanks to Mike for the truck and driving. Thanks to AMS for all their help in the pits and for getting us in this event in the first place. Thanks to Darin at West End Alignment for a great alignment and corner balancing.

More pics:

Paul hitting that gatorade.

Me, Alfred, and Paul with awards:

Nice butt. LOL:

Decent view of canards and splitter and graphics:

Best single lap results: I believe the Robispec entry was "Stinji" from SoCal. (we are listed as AMS as they signed us up from Chicago):

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 12, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

good stuff and congrats!! it was nice talking to you at the track

mike

Quick Reply: Tuning Technologies: Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout @ Buttonwillow