Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 NASA TT possible rule change on the NT01

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 NASA TT possible rule change on the NT01

Im sure most of us have heard about this rumor. Well here it is straight from our main man, "One change that is definitely a "possibility" for '08 is that the Nitto NT01 tire could go up in points. If you currently use them, you might want to factor in a few extra points (2) into your TTA-TTF calculations." So basically, the NT01 may no longer be assessed as a +5, and instead will be assessed as a +7. What do you guys think of this?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I think i'm glad i made the choice to prep for TTS, cause the mods i was thinking of taking off would have put me at exactly 39 for TTA, and i would/do have nt01's so i'd be out of that or have to downgrade further....that's some crap. They might "feel" better or sticker then Toyo's but i mean cmon....a properly shaved toyo can beat a nitto in the experienced hands.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Im glad that the R888's come in 265's ad 275's Anyone need a set of 275/35/18 NT-01's with 2 days at Road America on them??
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:34 AM

I think this is not right...

A rule change has to be backed up by numbers and not a few guys 'saying' they 'feel' faster. The new R888 might even be faster than the NT01 so what do they intend to do with the R888?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

This possible rule change will mean the difference for some people between staying in their class, or being forced to move up. I wonder how NASA will work it out. From what theyre saying, apparently there are not going to be any major changes for 08. If anything, theyre allegedly working on clearing up some of the rules. Although, apparently some major changes might be in the works for 09. I suppose i should stick to my original plan, and plan for the worst. Whats certain is, "There will be a few base class adjustments"..."the newest C6 Vettes will not be permitted in TTA."
Old Dec 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

It's BS....I was slower on the nittos than on th RA-1's.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hrm.

I'll run faster on nittos, full tread off the ups truck, than a shaved ra-1.

I actually enjoy running nittos up front, and ra-1's in the rear. Thats some fun stuff.

I don't disagree with the rule, 'cause in my eyes, the nittos are faster, but i do disagree with the lack of anything resembling timely rulemaking.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

They have any absolute true facts or testing as to why they are going to change this?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, the tires are faster. Lap times from various events, including nationals, show this.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Percywork
It's BS....I was slower on the nittos than on th RA-1's.
Percy, thats interesting. I havent heard anyone else say this. Are you comparing full tread NT01s to shaved RA1s?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

How much faster is shaving a set of tires?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluestreak
How much faster is shaving a set of tires?
Thats such a broad question that its pretty much impossible to answer. Its like when people ask how much faster theyll be with coilovers.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

haha, yeah.

i wouldn't say a second, possibly two, would be out of line on a longer track.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Thats such a broad question that its pretty much impossible to answer. Its like when people ask how much faster theyll be with coilovers.
I know, I guess I was hoping for some personal examples. I drove some NT-01's and MPSC on the same day and the NT-01 was an even second behind the MPSC. I was just wondering if shaving the NT-01 would have made the difference. Though I hate the way they turn, if the NT-01 are as fast shaved, there is absolutely no reason to buy MPCS whatsoever.

I cant think of a better way to ask the question, how about let's say VIR, how much faster would a shaved set of NT-01 be on a T1 car? Is that better?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluestreak
I know, I guess I was hoping for some personal examples. I drove some NT-01's and MPSC on the same day and the NT-01 was an even second behind the MPSC. I was just wondering if shaving the NT-01 would have made the difference. Though I hate the way they turn, if the NT-01 are as fast shaved, there is absolutely no reason to buy MPCS whatsoever.

I cant think of a better way to ask the question, how about let's say VIR, how much faster would a shaved set of NT-01 be on a T1 car? Is that better?
I honestly dont know. If i wanted to find the answer to that specific question based on my cars setup, i would want as much data as possible. Since there are so many different variables to deal with, i would want to run at least a good 10 events at the same track to get a reasonable idea. Or maybe 6 or so 2-day events. I would run 2 sets of NT01s, one at full tread and the other shaved. Its up to you how far you want to have them shaved, ie 4/32nds, 3/32nds, etc. I would run both sets at every event, ie 2 sessions with the full tread set and 2 sessions with the shaved set. Or maybe run the full tread set on one day, and the shaved set on the next day. I would probably want to then apply this test on the various other tracks in my area. Only then will i have a good idea. But keep in mind that this would only apply to the NT01, who knows what the difference will be with the RA1, or any other tire.

Quick Reply: 2008 NASA TT possible rule change on the NT01