Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Redline Time Attack Rules Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EgoKillerEVO
A 305 in Street RWD is huge. Thats bigger than the street tires I ran on the Z last year. I think 285 is perfect. A properly set up light weight, high horsepower RWD car with a 295/305 stagger would dominate, probably as much, or more than Nils was.

Some cars CAN't be light weight.

That being said, I might have been making too big of a deal about the tire size increase. The supra was running 295s on the rear, so a 10mm decrease isn't massive. The tires just get overheated so fast on that thing...

The only other thing I could see that would even the field would be to allow the rwd street cars to run without cats. (lol - I figured it was worth a try. )

Nikolas- I don't believe you addressed electric cut outs on street cars. Are these going to be allowed? Unless you explicitly state that they are not, you will have people running them. We're trying to put the finishing touches on the supra for this next season when it comes to drivetrain. And know this will let us know how to tune it. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbomx5

That being said, I might have been making too big of a deal about the tire size increase. The supra was running 295s on the rear, so a 10mm decrease isn't massive. The tires just get overheated so fast on that thing...

The only other thing I could see that would even the field would be to allow the rwd street cars to run without cats. (lol - I figured it was worth a try. )

Nikolas- I don't believe you addressed electric cut outs on street cars. Are these going to be allowed? Unless you explicitly state that they are not, you will have people running them. We're trying to put the finishing touches on the supra for this next season when it comes to drivetrain. And know this will let us know how to tune it. Thanks!
I'll be sure to address the cut-outs and by-passes.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbomx5
I know....I drive a 350Z.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nikolas@Redline
I'll be sure to address the cut-outs and by-passes.
How about simple wording such as: "All exhaust must pass thru a functioning cat at all times". That will cover cutouts, bypasses, wastegates, etc. All you need to add is how the tech will be handled so we can all build to a consistant standard test procedure that wont change during the year.

Or, "Just kidding guys, there will not be a cat rule afterall...."!

Nik, could you please address the track width rule and how it relates to wheel offsets and adjustments made for tire clearance and alignment settings etc?

BTW, can 350Z and G35 really go from the stock 245 rear tires to 305 or even 315 (street tires) without track width changes? I'm not doubting anyone, I am just curious.

I vote that Matt has to stay on skinny-ish tires because he is so much fun to watch sideways!

Last edited by mxpop; Jan 24, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
NASA measures increases in track width between the inner sides of the tires for purposes of assessing points in time trials...I think. So, wider tires alone don't necessarily change the track width unless the wheel offset pushes them out or you move the control arm mounting points.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mxpop
BTW, can 350Z and G35 really go from the stock 245 rear tires to 305 or even 315 (street tires) without track width changes? I'm not doubting anyone, I am just curious.
350Zs and G35s can run up to 295 up front and 315 in the rear without any major adjustments to the track width. We run those sizes on my car with a 35 offset wheel, no spacers, rolled rear fenders.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ That's crazy! Thanks for the edjamacashun!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dentsport
Do some research on cat technology and you will find power loss at less than 1% for cheaper metal substrate cats from places like vibrant (which are $200 retail and hold up to very aggressive antilag) http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...e238f19d30ac09
That seems a little high in price, especially considering the cat isn't even 100 cell
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I don't understand why a 3-point stock belt is allowed but a 4-point harness is not allowed. Neither one has submarine protection, but a 4-point holds you in better than a 3-point, and therefore is safer.

Of course I'm just stirring the pot, since both of my track cars have 6-point harnesses. lol
Most people do not wear their 4pt belts properly. I've seen a lot of people keep the lap belts loose then tighten down the shoulder belts. This pulls up the lap belts and makes for a bad situation. The factory 3 points can't be worn incorrectly, and pressure on the shoulder belt puts more tension on the lap belt to prevent submarining. Complete opposite of a 4pt.

Something definitely has to be done about licensing drivers and documenting their experience. I saw a huge swing in experience at VIR this year and I wouldn't feel comfortable being on track with some of the drivers. Or you could possibly be more strict with flagging, warnings, and booting people from the event. You could also move people up or down in run groups based on experience and speed in practice sessions. One other thing is possibly having a chalk talk and instructors for the guys that haven't been at that particular track before.

Any way to set up the timed laps so that everyone gets a clean lap without hitting traffic? The club I usually time trial with has a catch rule. You signal the flaggers and then pit in if you catch up to the guy in front of you. You have the option of keeping the times from the few clean laps you had, or getting to re-run. You have to make the decision on the spot and cannot see your times for the clean laps. You are in park-firme in the pits and not allowed to do any adjustments to the car while waiting to go out again for your re-run. You get disqualified if you spin or have a mechanical failure and then stay on track (or come back out onto the track) and cause a catch. All your times before the spin or failure count as long as the guy behind you doesn't catch you, or if you pull off track/line.

Those are my thoughts and suggestions. I had a great time at the VIR event this year. I'll definitely be back again next year.

Peter McParland
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

"Modification of suspension and drive train components that in effect, widen the vehicles track width are prohibited. Use of wheel spacers and/or off-set wheels is allowed."

So track width can be changed as much as wanted as long as it's done with wheel offsets/spacers and not special suspension parts? What about suspension items that are used to achieve desired camber/alignment settings such as camber bolts, adjustable toe/camber arms, slotted top plates, etc? Are they allowed and is there a window of tolerance to allow for such adjustments?

Is there a maximum overall width limitation?

Also, I am assuming that all exhaust must pass through the catalytic converter at all times. This means no bypasses, cutouts, atmosphere wastegates, etc. Am I correct?

Thanks guys,

JC
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

[I][U]

Also, I am assuming that all exhaust must pass through the catalytic converter at all times. This means no bypasses, cutouts, atmosphere wastegates, etc. Am I correct?

Thanks guys,

JC
Slotted OEM control arms or aftermarket control arms (that are of the same "length" as OEM) that allow for adjustment of camber, etc.. are allowed. Custom top mounts are also allowed (for caster and camber adjustment, etc.)

Wastegates that dump to atmosphere are allowed in Street Class.

Bypasses and cutouts are not allowed.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:59 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Thanks for clearing that up Nick
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

So by not specifically responding to the question about wheel offsets, Should I assume that the rules are wide open to use whatever offset we want even if that significantly widens the track width?

And also, are there no overall width limitations?

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

So by not specifically responding to the question about wheel offsets, Should I assume that the rules are wide open to use whatever offset we want even if that significantly widens the track width?

And also, are there no overall width limitations?

Thanks
The new rules version 2.2.8 addresses the width issue, in regards to suspension control arms..... paraphrasing: control arms can be slotted to allow for adjustment.. aftermarket control arms can be installed, so long as the overall dimensions of the control arm remains pretty much the same, with the mounting location of the shock/strut within .25" of the stock location. So yeah, we are allowing the suspension to be moved "outward" or "inward" by as much as .25" on each side of the vehicle, by use of slotting of OEM arms or intalling aftermarket arms with adjustable rod-ends and such.....
Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the clarification about the suspension components.

I dont want to seem retarded by asking the same question repeatedly but, what is the rule, if any, on wheel offsets and/or how they apply to overall widths? Should I assume that any offset whatsoever is allowed regardless of how wide the overall track/width ends up being as long as the suspension itself has not been widened by more trhan .25 on each side?

"Use of wheel spacers and/or off-set wheels is allowed"

Has this already been covered and I just dont get it or???

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: 2008 Redline Time Attack Rules Discussion