Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Ralliart Active Center Differential Controller

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Thanx for posting this.
Obviously I know what Ralliart is, but never knew they had such a vast collection of "kit" parts available for average consumer. Wait a minute.. Are they readily available?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
bump

how's this compare with Gruppe-S's? Gruppe S seems like a cheaper solution

Also, are those garage hrs products made for usdm evos?

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up sourcing the MoTeC MDC for ~$1300. Been happy with it, as its much much better than the factory prorgamming, especially for those of you who like to left foot brake alot.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I ended up sourcing the MoTeC MDC for ~$1300. Been happy with it, as its much much better than the factory prorgamming, especially for those of you who like to left foot brake alot.

Dave

good choice
Not to mention the much easier life with that after you will get a MOtec ECU Too
Like the M800...

I'm already watching the M400 - M800 development for the X but the diff control is out already MoTeC MDC2 (diff controller).

I hope soon i can have those with the ALS system for 2011.
THat is one of my dream... no hesitation ever

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

good choice
Not to mention the much easier life with that after you will get a MOtec ECU Too
Like the M800...

I'm already watching the M400 - M800 development for the X but the diff control is out already MoTeC MDC2 (diff controller).

I hope soon i can have those with the ALS system for 2011.
THat is one of my dream... no hesitation ever
It disables s-ayc though, not a big deal for usdm ct9a's, but you sure you want to do that? unless the new acd controller keep ayc function, which i've never seen
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyooch
bump

how's this compare with Gruppe-S's? Gruppe S seems like a cheaper solution

+1 curious if anyone can chime in
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
It disables s-ayc though, not a big deal for usdm ct9a's, but you sure you want to do that? unless the new acd controller keep ayc function, which i've never seen
looks like sadly i have to sooner or later get rid of the S-AYC. For the rally i need to disable the ABS . And so far looks like the cheapest solution is to get rid of the S-ayc too.
We working on it though.
So i'm will run a X RS set up, kind of. I try to make it the cheapest way. So i will contact Bryan, i think he did it already.
But if you guys have some idea how can i get rid of or by pass the ABS pleas send me a PM.

Thanks Rob
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Dave
Did you replace the center diff controller before you upgraded the front and rear diffs?

I'm wondering exactly what sort of changes I could expect from upgrading the center diff controller. What I'm trying to address is understeer after corner entry. I want the car yawed a bit v.s. the direction of travel, but instead the car understeers so I have to peddle it around the corner using LFB. It ends up: hard on throttle... LFB to correct the line... hard on throttle... LFB to correct the line.. etc. Every dab of the brake just slows me down.

I've seen a video from last year's Pikes Peak that focused on a hairpin right at the bottom of a hill. Your car just kept a nice little drift angle all the way around, it was perfect. That's what I'm shooting for.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

i kinda wanted to bump this topic again, interested to see some development in this, esp in comparison to the Gruppe-S acd. Right now there's not really an option for an auto-x ACD tune, it's more geared for the track and actually hurts the Evo for some of the tighter turns in auto-x.

Definitely interested to see the whole user-customizable part of this product (motec http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=664 )
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Why do you say it's bad for autocross? It increases the rate of lock-up, which should help with throttle steering on all types of corners. If your suspension is properly set-up for the new ACD settings than it should help regardless of corner. I used the Ralliart controller on a couple of VERY tight stages at Targa that were more autocross-like (slow 2nd gear stuff), and it was a vast improvement over past years experience on the same roads.

That said, if you have the cash and the appetite for tuning it, the MoTec or Pectel programmable controllers are going to be the best.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by peter*g
Why do you say it's bad for autocross? It increases the rate of lock-up, which should help with throttle steering on all types of corners. If your suspension is properly set-up for the new ACD settings than it should help regardless of corner. I used the Ralliart controller on a couple of VERY tight stages at Targa that were more autocross-like (slow 2nd gear stuff), and it was a vast improvement over past years experience on the same roads.

That said, if you have the cash and the appetite for tuning it, the MoTec or Pectel programmable controllers are going to be the best.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ilable-27.html

Starting at post 396. I definitely agree there are ways to tune the suspension to best suit the ACD, but I guess there are just some issues with some sort of "binding" between the front and rear wheels on turn in that hinder things like slaloms and tight turns. This is just for the particular way the Gruppe-S reflash is set up, btw. There is some suggestion that a combination of stock-like lock on turn-in combined with increased lock upon throttle may be a good solution, but the Gruppe-S ACD isn't something you can customize as the motec seems to be

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 16, 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm. So, if I understand it correctly, the Ralliart ACD is throttle-controlled. No or part throttle results in less lock-up (more like stock) and the more throttle you feed in the greater the lock-up (the Ralliart ramps up faster and locks harder than the stock controller).

On an auto-x course, I'd imagine that this is not too different from running a RWD car with a really aggressive LSD. If you turn in with a car like that on the power it will want to push, but if you carry more speed, trailbrake in, and accelerate on the exit the car should be fairly neutral. I used to auto-x my BMW street cars regularly, and there was definitely a "lift-steer-gas" rhythm in the slalom to make it through quickly.

Even in that thread, the comment against it also tells you why it probably didn't work for that particular person:

Of course this is all just my feelings on my particular setup. You may be able to dial this tendancy out with suspension setup and driver input changes. corner exit is awesome though!
You definitely drive (and set up) the car more like a RWD car with the Ralliart controller, while the stock controller requires you to drive (and set up) the car a bit more like a FWD car.

Whatever you do with the diff controller, you can't expect the same suspension set-up to work exactly the same. That is true for almost any type of diff upgrades on almost any sort of car.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by peter*g
Hmm. So, if I understand it correctly, the Ralliart ACD is throttle-controlled. No or part throttle results in less lock-up (more like stock) and the more throttle you feed in the greater the lock-up (the Ralliart ramps up faster and locks harder than the stock controller).

On an auto-x course, I'd imagine that this is not too different from running a RWD car with a really aggressive LSD. If you turn in with a car like that on the power it will want to push, but if you carry more speed, trailbrake in, and accelerate on the exit the car should be fairly neutral. I used to auto-x my BMW street cars regularly, and there was definitely a "lift-steer-gas" rhythm in the slalom to make it through quickly.

Even in that thread, the comment against it also tells you why it probably didn't work for that particular person:

You definitely drive (and set up) the car more like a RWD car with the Ralliart controller, while the stock controller requires you to drive (and set up) the car a bit more like a FWD car.

Whatever you do with the diff controller, you can't expect the same suspension set-up to work exactly the same. That is true for almost any type of diff upgrades on almost any sort of car.
Thanks for taking the time to go through that. I agree that suspension set up is very important, but I do think the ralliart ACD sounds more like what I am looking for in terms of locking characteristics. When you say stock controller, are you referring to what the Gruppe-S acd reflash is doing? I'm really not sure how exactly they programmed the reflash, but I think the general consensus as of now is that the lock is too aggressive for turn in in an auto-x situation. If the ralliart ACD's lock is based on throttle input, it may be a better solution.

Where do you pick up one of these? On the works site I only see the motec as an option.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

I can't speak to the Gruppe-S controller, unfortunately. I can only compare Ralliart and stock. I bought the Ralliart controller before anybody knew what the heck it was, and wouldn't change it now given the fact that most of the fast GroupN cars in Europe run it. I also don't have enough experience on loose surfaces to program the MoTeC yet, so it's all about the Ralliart.

You should be able to get the controller from RHD Japan: http://www.rhdjapan.com/ralliart-act...ion-viii-54389 I bought a bunch of rally parts from them and could not have been happier with their service.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

If you're after a MoTeC unit, check with some of the rally shops, as they'll be more able to help you with tuning. They may or may not have auto-x experience, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of thoughts to help you on your way.

Keep in mind that a top level rally car typically uses 1.5 way front diffs and 2 way rear diffs, so unless you're running those, the Ralliart pre-programmed diff programs typically aren't "built around your setup."

Dave

Quick Reply: Ralliart Active Center Differential Controller