Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Ralliart Active Center Differential Controller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
FWIW, I was just basing my comment on watching rally cars at a tarmac rally vs. watching a road race. Completely different types of lines, with rally guys often throwing the car around, whereas at a road course, everything is about smooth smooth smooth.
Watch Sebastian Loeb, Gilles Panizzi, Francois Duval, etc. The tarmac masters don't throw the car around at all. If you're scrubbing the tire sideways you are losing speed -- that simple. The principles of physics and how a tire contact patch works the same regardless of whether that pavement is on a public road or a closed course. Even Mikko went to some road racing schools to improve his performance on tarmac against the Frenchman. ;-)

I don't have any significant experience on gravel (yet), but I would hazard a guess that the new trick-diff cars probably also benefit from a more tidy line on loose surfaces. Sliding sideways steals forward speed, so if the diffs can help you with transitions such that you can run a less dramatic style than I'd imagine you could probably be quicker overall. Speculation, but I'll be testing my hypothesis more this year when the car is converted to gravel.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by peter*g
That's not true. You can make the lock-up be the same, but the reaction times and how it behaves under certain conditions are going to be different between the various types.

The other thing you need to remember is that Helical-type diffs stop working when one wheel gets in the air (basically sends all power to the wheel in the air). So, if you're running a set up that lets you lift a rear wheel (which many auto-x guys do), then a standard LSD is going to work best.
oh? I understand that about the different types working in different ways, but I wasn't aware that they all provided at least very similar amounts of lock up. From what I've seen, at least Carbonetics claims that it gets twice the amount of lock up that standard LSDs do, and I've heard that the Cusco allows for more power oversteer than the Tre unit, which I assumed to mean it transferred more torque.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
oh? I understand that about the different types working in different ways, but I wasn't aware that they all provided at least very similar amounts of lock up. From what I've seen, at least Carbonetics claims that it gets twice the amount of lock up that standard LSDs do, and I've heard that the Cusco allows for more power oversteer than the Tre unit, which I assumed to mean it transferred more torque.
It all depends upon how it is set up. You can weld a standard LSD together and get 100% lock-up if you choose. ;-) TRE has different levels of lock-up they can build to, and a custom diff builder can do others. My understanding of the carbonetics is that it's designed to be tuned in this way easier than a stock rebuild can be done. The helical types will have a set lock-up under certain conditions.

At some point you hit the law of diminishing returns. You don't always need MORE lock-up, or we'd all just run welded diffs and deal with the massive understeer that creates. What you want are good behaviors at turn-in, part-throttle, power-on, etc. That's why a car like the BMW X6 uses what is effectively an ACD in the rear diff as well as the center -- you can tune those behaviors based on steering input and throttle. The alternative for us is to find a diff with the behaviors we like and then tune the suspension to use it properly.

This does raise a good question -- what suspension are you running? Spending all of this time and money on diffs is only going to be worth it if you have already maximized the suspension components, and then tuned it to your car.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Watch Sebastian Loeb, Gilles Panizzi, Francois Duval, etc. The tarmac masters don't throw the car around at all. If you're scrubbing the tire sideways you are losing speed -- that simple. The principles of physics and how a tire contact patch works the same regardless of whether that pavement is on a public road or a closed course. Even Mikko went to some road racing schools to improve his performance on tarmac against the Frenchman. ;-)
100% in agreement that smooth is faster, and that's one of the reason's Loeb has been killing it. I still stick to the fact that a rally driver doesn't drive road racing lines (rally will use late apex even more than a standard road race driver as it increases the safety margin on corner exit) as you never know whats around the next corner like you do on a road circuit. That said.....this guys pretty quick, and might've even done some testing to develop the Ralliart ACD maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyaZX30qWc

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends upon how it is set up. You can weld a standard LSD together and get 100% lock-up if you choose. ;-) TRE has different levels of lock-up they can build to, and a custom diff builder can do others. My understanding of the carbonetics is that it's designed to be tuned in this way easier than a stock rebuild can be done. The helical types will have a set lock-up under certain conditions.

At some point you hit the law of diminishing returns. You don't always need MORE lock-up, or we'd all just run welded diffs and deal with the massive understeer that creates. What you want are good behaviors at turn-in, part-throttle, power-on, etc. That's why a car like the BMW X6 uses what is effectively an ACD in the rear diff as well as the center -- you can tune those behaviors based on steering input and throttle. The alternative for us is to find a diff with the behaviors we like and then tune the suspension to use it properly.

This does raise a good question -- what suspension are you running? Spending all of this time and money on diffs is only going to be worth it if you have already maximized the suspension components, and then tuned it to your car.
Totally true - I'm on a very simple suspension set up, aftermarket bilsteins and springs. Car is totally not a race car by any means, just a simple street car that I'm toying around with. I love a good power oversteer, so I went with a diff that I believed would bring that to the table. I do, however, regret not moving to a decent set of coilovers right away. It's on the list. Otherwise, my main mods to the suspension are some bushings for geometry fixes. Definitely not claiming that I have or want a race car, just looking for some effective mods for my evo
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Totally true - I'm on a very simple suspension set up, aftermarket bilsteins and springs. Car is totally not a race car by any means, just a simple street car that I'm toying around with. I love a good power oversteer, so I went with a diff that I believed would bring that to the table. I do, however, regret not moving to a decent set of coilovers right away. It's on the list. Otherwise, my main mods to the suspension are some bushings for geometry fixes. Definitely not claiming that I have or want a race car, just looking for some effective mods for my evo
No offense, but if this is true you are likely spending big $$ for small increments when you could be spending the same money for bigger increments. If you buy a MoTeC ACD controller and trick front/rear diffs, you'll spend more than you would have for a high-end set of Ohlins race shocks, but you'll only see 1/10th of the performance increase.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend the money on a proper set of DA coilovers with spring rates that work for your street driving as well as a proper set of swaybars from the car (I like the Whiteline stuff). That will make the car more neutral. You can then finish balancing the chassis with the Ralliart controller and a TRE rear diff.

IMO -- if you want power-on oversteer, you're in the wrong car. I daily drive a BMW M3 and road race BMWs and Porsches. Those cars have power-on oversteer. The best you can hope for with an Evo is neutral turn-in and a nice drift on the exit. :-)
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

No offense, but if this is true you are likely spending big $$ for small increments when you could be spending the same money for bigger increments. If you buy a MoTeC ACD controller and trick front/rear diffs, you'll spend more than you would have for a high-end set of Ohlins race shocks, but you'll only see 1/10th of the performance increase.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend the money on a proper set of DA coilovers with spring rates that work for your street driving as well as a proper set of swaybars from the car (I like the Whiteline stuff). That will make the car more neutral. You can then finish balancing the chassis with the Ralliart controller and a TRE rear diff.

IMO -- if you want power-on oversteer, you're in the wrong car. I daily drive a BMW M3 and road race BMWs and Porsches. Those cars have power-on oversteer. The best you can hope for with an Evo is neutral turn-in and a nice drift on the exit. :-)
no i agree. coilovers are coming too. I'm probably gonna go with the ralliart acd. I'm waiting on sway bars until I finish my set up and then adjust with them
Old Feb 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
That's awesome! The almost-spin @ 0:53 is spectacular.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
ACP

Ralliart ACD ECU for sale

Hey guys-

Just listed a new Ralliart ACD ECU I've had as a spare on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110993747233...witem=&vxp=mtr

PS the GEMS ADC ECUs absolutely burn pumps - for fast response time they keep the pressure wound up constantly. I have a GEMS backup mounted in the car and use it to bleed the system or in case of ABS sensor fail, but it's a very aggressive strategy. After testing almost everything, we found (surprise) Ralliart knew what they were doing.

ACP

Last edited by ACP; Dec 26, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey Andrew , are you really in this forum?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
ACP

In truth, I'm not really here much. Sadly, I drive for Toyota now. But I have a truck-load (literally, this came out of the truck) of parts. Get in touch with needs. I don't use the PMs here, email me at acp(at)acpracing(dot)com.

ACD ECU sold on Buy it now today. Hope it was someone here! Evolutionm has always been very supportive of our efforts.

Best,
ACP
www.acpracing.com
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Since ^his ECU is sold, why would anyone want that ECU if you can flash the factory ACD-ECU now? what are the advantages?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Depends on the application. Gravel optimized by Mitsu/Ralliart engineers whom have rally'd since day 1 or guesstimates by a guy who likely never drives that car at that level in those conditions.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I should clarify my question. Do the aftermarket ECU's offer anything more than the OEM ECU's?

Obviously the ACD-tune could be horrible, but that aside, is there any other differences.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Since ^his ECU is sold, why would anyone want that ECU if you can flash the factory ACD-ECU now? what are the advantages?
The same reason why after market ecus are much better then a oem flash-able one.
Faster - more customizable. For start my GEMS has 5 settings from the start including a fully lock to the fully open stages. For motorsport those ecus are much better then the oem one's.

In my case here is a picture when my tuner sets up my ACD ECU to my tarmac set up and for my driving style. He looking the throttle - brake - speed and rpm relation to my ACD ECU tarmac settings , and fine tunes -customize the maps on the ACD ECU to those values. To make the car behave better in braking -turning - accelerating when i am driving the car. He needed a full race day to set up the way he thought it will be fine for a time being.
SO we did took a whole hillclimb event to set up the car for tarmac with my driving style.

That is a reason why you need something like aftermarket ecu for you engine and acd.

Funny way to say it, its like compering the Commodore 64 to the Alienware.

the picture:

Quick Reply: Ralliart Active Center Differential Controller