Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AutoX ?: Tire setup for tracks with lots of grip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AutoX ?: Tire setup for tracks with lots of grip

Yesterday took the X out for an AutoX at a location with a hard grippy (rough concrete) surface. It was also 105* out during the heat of the day. I ran my best time in the 1st heat, so it was likely 98-100* out.

At the last AutoX, the surface was a slicker asphalt and I could rotate the rear end out with the throttle (controlled oversteer) and felt in more control through the slaloms (until I pushed too hard and spun out!).

Yesterday, my front tires were rolling over, even with 50psi in the front tires (stock yokos). The rears weren't rolling over at 40psi, but I couldn't get the rear to swing out much (only at the end of a 200* hairpin and by then I'd killed so much momentum that I had to downshift to 1st [and that ended up being my best time -- go figure]).

I'm thinking I should have run 45-50/45-50 or so in order to get the rear to swing a bit so that I could utilize the front tires ability to pull my car where I want it to go once I get it pointed where it needs to be.

Luckily there's another AutoX at the same location this coming weekend so I'll get to try again!

(and I'm driving a completely stock EvoX in case that matters).
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(only at the end of a 200* hairpin and by then I'd killed so much momentum that I had to downshift to 1st [and that ended up being my best time -- go figure]).

Not real un-common. Sorry, I don't know you and your driving, but I'll go ahead and suggest that maybe you were overdriving the entries? Most of the time, slowing your entries results in better time and less abuse on the fronts. Just a thought.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Yokos don't need that much pressure. 35-40 is adequate. If you're cooking the outside edges, get used to it. You can't really fix that with the stock suspension. If the tire is actually rolling over onto the sidewall, you're overdriving it.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
The Yokos don't need that much pressure. 35-40 is adequate. If you're cooking the outside edges, get used to it. You can't really fix that with the stock suspension. If the tire is actually rolling over onto the sidewall, you're overdriving it.
Agreed.

You should add camber up front and run less pressure.

- drew
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I am surprized that no one has mention his braking points. If you think you have to hit first gear, then try braking earlier and harder.

in slow out fast usually works pretty well.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

I was overcooking it a lot (and this is what my rider told me) but I simply couldn't get the car to get it's rear around as well. I think that if the rear had come around, I wouldn't have been working nearly as hard to make the turn. It simply felt like the car was understeering.

I know that the VIII that was running started deep hard braking, making the turn and pulling out and cut 1-1.5 seconds off his run times.

I was still faster by like 3 tenths ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin

Yesterday, my front tires were rolling over, even with 50psi in the front tires (stock yokos). The rears weren't rolling over at 40psi, but I couldn't get the rear to swing out much (only at the end of a 200* hairpin and by then I'd killed so much momentum that I had to downshift to 1st [and that ended up being my best time -- go figure]).

(and I'm driving a completely stock EvoX in case that matters).
use the E-brake man!!! (j/k - do not use the e-brake - i trust you know this, but i have seen it ). imo that is way too much pressure to be running. i usually go with 35f 32r. i am on stock susp. too - and i do roll over - but there really isn't anything you can do about that until the suspension is changed. my recommendation is to just try and be smooth. try and blend one corner into the next. i've found the run that feels like your slowest is usually your best. good luck next week
Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw
I am surprized that no one has mention his braking points. If you think you have to hit first gear, then try braking earlier and harder.

in slow out fast usually works pretty well.
Well....connecting the dots, that's pretty much what I was telling him. Slow in, fast out. Pull your braking points back. (Didn't want to say it that way 'cuz I've nevver seen him drive...just a suggestion.)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Shawn,

That is one of the many joys of running that site. While I've seen tighter courses out there they are all usually pretty small and technical like yesterday. Coupled with the extra grippy concrete it will turn most well balanced cars into understeering pigs.

I know some people who don't normally run rear sway bars, run them just for that venue.

Its also easy to over drive that surface since it so grippy. Not sure I would've downshifted to 1st anywhere on that particular course. We run the torqueless wonder RX-8 and kept it in 2nd the whole course.

I'd recommend running higher in the rear and if you can, get a performance alignment.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

ratt_finkel,

I was specifically watching you two in the RX-8 to see your lines and how you were taking the slaloms and you were definitely lighter in the rear and were simply rotating the car better than I was able. Part of that is my higher COG and weight I'm sure. (I was actually watching down the final slalom and it was a piece of artistry the car just slip, slip, slip, slip around a tight slalom to the finish. Not sure who was driving though!)

I will likely just keep watching and bugging you guys so if I annoy you just let me know!

(and for everyone else, ratt_finkel and his partner in crime drive the heck out of a yellow RX-8 in BS and are consistenly in the best times here in Dallas events).

i've found the run that feels like your slowest is usually your best. good luck next week
Ha, my slowest feeling was the fastest and my smoothest feeling was the slowest.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goofygrin
ratt_finkel,

I was specifically watching you two in the RX-8 to see your lines and how you were taking the slaloms and you were definitely lighter in the rear and were simply rotating the car better than I was able. Part of that is my higher COG and weight I'm sure. (I was actually watching down the final slalom and it was a piece of artistry the car just slip, slip, slip, slip around a tight slalom to the finish. Not sure who was driving though!)
Most of that can be attributed to driving style. Understeer vs. oversteer in a slalom has more to do with input timing than car setup.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Most of that can be attributed to driving style. Understeer vs. oversteer in a slalom has more to do with input timing than car setup.
hmm. Looking at the pictures, I was either front siding or siding the cones, not back siding. I think I'm about half a tick too slow in the slalom and it's because of looking too close to my car.

Also, the pictures of my fastest run show the car a lot more in balance than when I was't doing so hot. Wish I could recreate that

Fast run:
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_007-JPG.html
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_010-JPG.html

Slow run:
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_120-JPG.html
Next run, same corner sequence:
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_306-JPG.html
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_307-JPG.html
http://www.autocrosspictures.net/ERA...8_308-JPG.html

Definitely a poor line choice it looks like.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

In slow faster out is definitely the way to go. When you brake, brake straight and brake hard. Also, be patient Don't start accelerating out of the turn any earlier than the apex. A lot of people ... *cough* ... get inpatient and get back on the throttle too early. Also, I don't have a X so I don't know if you can do this, but see if you can get another degree of -camber out of the stock setup up front. You could also try toeing out a bit in the back but you should be able to get a bit better out of adjusting your braking and throttle. Also, soak your tires between runs. I would recommend bringing a pressure spray bottle ($20-$25 bucks from home depot) filled with ice water and soak the tires and inter-cooler between runs

EDIT. I can also tell from the pictures that you got your eyes on the cone your passing. Try keeping them on the cones of interest. For eg, in that show case turn (great pics btw) you want to watch for the exit cone and only the exit cone. If you get too close to the cone in the middle, you'll get pinched. Then again, all this is just driver style. Everyone is different

Last edited by lords3t; Jul 29, 2008 at 09:31 AM.