Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there is no cage i see, that is very dangerous. Specially away the body got weakened out.
Regardless the weigh is insane in that car
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8RA
CF roof isn't legal in my autocross class. Car uses a 4-gal fuel cell.
Where does a CF roof put you in?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the framing and crash bars ripped out of the doors I would hope they have plans for a cage. The car is sick would love to take it for a drive :P
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitegalant
With all the framing and crash bars ripped out of the doors I would hope they have plans for a cage. The car is sick would love to take it for a drive :P
Not in this case. Very little crash safety is used for autocross.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
there is no cage i see, that is very dangerous. Specially away the body got weakened out.
You have to look at it in context. Autocross is low speed with a ton of run off. We run on the same courses as 125cc Karts, but run much, much slower than the karts. Impact safety is actually a pretty low concern compared to track driving or rallying.

donour

SCCA Solo Safety Steward, Solo Safety Steward Instructor

EDIT: I should probably put some credentials here ^^^

Last edited by donour; Feb 11, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:50 PM

I know FP doesn't use any of the inherited rules from SM, SP, or ST, but I do find it amusing that CF roofs aren't allowed and all the other stuff you've done is :P
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr. happy
I know FP doesn't use any of the inherited rules from SM, SP, or ST, but I do find it amusing that CF roofs aren't allowed and all the other stuff you've done is :P
is a CF roof allowed in SM?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Originally Posted by whitegalant
Thanks Donour, you've hit the nail on the head. For road race, RobevoRS & whitegalant are absolutely correct and I am very safety conscious. This car is Exclusively for autocross and will never be taken to roadrace or 1/4-mile tracks without first adding a cage. Remember that practically every Stock class, R-compound convertible that autocrosses, is doing so without a roll bar. In 40 years of autocrossing, I've never seen a car roll over, on a course designed to SCCA safety standard. Please don't post a youtube clip of some dufus running his shoe box in Turkmenistan as a rollover example.

Cheers

Last edited by Evo8RA; Feb 12, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kyooch
is a CF roof allowed in SM?
You know, I thought they were. And then I read the rules again and it says I can replace the sunroof, but the area of replacement is limited to the size of the sunroof. However, this is from my 2009 rule book. I haven't gotten my hands on a 2010 book to see if there have been any changes.

This kind of sucks since a company just came out with a CF roof for the early impreza. Whole thing weighs 5 lbs compared to the stock 47. Hopefully the 2010 rules state otherwise so I can convince my wife that it's a vital part of the build
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

I agree. The rule was actually created last year after I enquired to the SCCA Solo Events Board, presumably to help keep FP class cost down.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:52 PM

You know, I thought they were. And then I read the rules again and it says I can replace the sunroof, but the area of replacement is limited to the size of the sunroof. However, this is from my 2009 rule book. I haven't gotten my hands on a 2010 book to see if there have been any changes.

This kind of sucks since a company just came out with a CF roof for the early impreza. Whole thing weighs 5 lbs compared to the stock 47. Hopefully the 2010 rules state otherwise so I can convince my wife that it's a vital part of the build
I went back and read it again (again!) and saw something that "could" be interpreted another way.

16.1.N states:

"T-Tops, targa tops, sunroofs, moonroofs, and similar roofmounted panels may be removed/replaced with alternate panels provided that the area of interface is limited to the original perimeter of the t-top, sunroof etc. or utilizes the OE panel mount points, and that the contour of any replacement panel surface does not vary from the contour of the part being replaced by more than 1 inch in any direction. The material used to construct the alternate panel and the method used to attach it to the interface is unrestricted. Any actuation mechanism and the associated wiring, if any, may be removed."

To me the part that I bolded could be interpreted to mean the whole roof panel instead of just the sunroof as long as the new panel used the OE panel mount points and didn't vary from the factory contour. I think it's time for me to submit my first letter to the SCCA asking for clarification

And now back to your regularly scheduled FP smackdown!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i wasnt complaining , just i thought you guys hit a good amount of speed, and around 60 the impact is huge!
but then again you are right since you guys, as i saw running open field so no trees and so there. Also i was pointing out the cage actually makes the body more rigid so you can tweak the suspension better .
a good cage can be under 100lbs. Specially since you guys dont need a real complex one.

but anyway , amazing job for the weight reduction, i die to drive an evo with that weight!
you dont even need power upgrade , that is awesome!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I went back and read it again (again!) and saw something that "could" be interpreted another way.

16.1.N states:

"T-Tops, targa tops, sunroofs, moonroofs, and similar roofmounted panels may be removed/replaced with alternate panels provided that the area of interface is limited to the original perimeter of the t-top, sunroof etc. or utilizes the OE panel mount points, and that the contour of any replacement panel surface does not vary from the contour of the part being replaced by more than 1 inch in any direction. The material used to construct the alternate panel and the method used to attach it to the interface is unrestricted. Any actuation mechanism and the associated wiring, if any, may be removed."

To me the part that I bolded could be interpreted to mean the whole roof panel instead of just the sunroof as long as the new panel used the OE panel mount points and didn't vary from the factory contour. I think it's time for me to submit my first letter to the SCCA asking for clarification

And now back to your regularly scheduled FP smackdown!
lol do let us know how that turns out haha. CF hoods put you in SM.. so I should be allowed a roof as well.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
No carbon roof even in SM. I don't think it's legal in XP either. No full roof replacement in any class as far as I know. . .

As for the text above regarding the rules -

"T-Tops, targa tops, sunroofs, moonroofs, and similar roofmounted panels may be removed/replaced with alternate panels provided that . . ."

The bold section is what kills your idea. The roof as a whole can not be considered a roof mounted panel and is not similar to any of the items listed. . .
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
No carbon roof even in SM. I don't think it's legal in XP either. No full roof replacement in any class as far as I know. . .

As for the text above regarding the rules -

"T-Tops, targa tops, sunroofs, moonroofs, and similar roofmounted panels may be removed/replaced with alternate panels provided that . . ."

The bold section is what kills your idea. The roof as a whole can not be considered a roof mounted panel and is not similar to any of the items listed. . .
lame

the rule, not you lol