Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Help! Noisy something..gotta drive to Kansas soon!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Noisy something..gotta drive to Kansas soon!

Hey guys..

I've got a weird cyclical noise coming from the left side of my car around 30-60mph. It changes with vehicle speed, not rpm.

Things I know are ok
1) transaxle
2) transfer case
3) front wheel bearings
4) passenger side front axle
5) most likely driver front axle too

I have swapped tires front to rear and it was still present. My guess at this point is possible the left rear wheel bearing as the axles seem ok. The other thing is maybe it's tire noise. I'll have to swap on another set and see if its still there.

Motorsports relevance: I drive around on -3+ camber all the time and the car will be driven 1350 miles to Kansas in 3 weeks for Solo nationals.

Any input is appreciated.

John
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Did you check your rear brake pads John. When mine went that is exactly what I heard.

Dave Mac
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Did you check your rear brake pads John. When mine went that is exactly what I heard.

Dave Mac
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac

Yeah I was thinking maybe the pads or rotors. Also, I had the same noise with a bad front left control arm.

Have you done any work recently? Anybody borrow the car?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

The sound is similar to a bad wheel bearing.

I really don't think it is brake pads or rotors. There is plenty of thickness left on all pads and they are wearing even. No noticeable pulsation in the pedal during braking.

Bushings in all the LCA's are fine. BJ's are ok too.

I've done alot of work recently, but this sound was present prior to this and is still there. Starting to **** me off actually.

Thanks for the input guys.

John
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Does this sound get more louder/noticeable when you turn left and right?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Does this sound get more louder/noticeable when you turn left and right?
Typically yes, but only at lower speeds is it noticeable (more steering angle). At higher speeds/less steering angle you only hear the tire noise. There also is no appreciable difference or increase in noise when braking.

Becomes audible by 30mph, goes away around 70+. It is present when the car is cool, drive for 20min and it's even more noticeable.

Weird I tell ya.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind. I had a tough time with a set of Kumho MX's slipping on the wheels and constantly going out of balance. It would start making a "wub-wub-wub" sound before I would start to feel it shake.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
The only thing that comes to mind. I had a tough time with a set of Kumho MX's slipping on the wheels and constantly going out of balance. It would start making a "wub-wub-wub" sound before I would start to feel it shake.
I've had these tires (Kumho Ecsta 712's) on the car for about 20k miles now and they've never made noise like that. They are substantially quieter than the OEM Advans. I def know the wub-wub sound, but this is more pronounced.

I think I found the culprit though. I had a coworker come with me during lunch and he rode in the back. He thought the sound was coming from the left rear. I let him drive and sat back there myself and I came to the same conclusion. I'll order a rear hub assy and hope I can finally nail this one down.

John
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

It could very well be your wheel bearing. I have had my rears and my fronts replaced before. When the rear one went bad it would make a "whirring" type of noise every time i would turn right.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When the bearing went out on the wife's old G35 had the same thing. Worse in slow turns, annoying at low straight.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it sounds like a wheel bearing, it's a wheel bearing. I've diagnosed a lot of driveline/suspension problems and that dead bearing sound is both unique and unmistakeable.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Whats up with the Warminster events this Saturday? Is there anything? I thought it was sunday. Doe you guys have a good turnout and how many runs are typical. Dan and I need as much seat time as we can get.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Update.

Replaced the LR wheel hub assy and the noise is still there. The bearing was definitely starting to go as I can feel/hear some metal to metal contact. I ordered another for the RR and will also inspect everything else back there.

Also drove the car around on V710's (no treadblocks) with a friend and we agree the noise is in the rear and is not tire related.

Any more ideas? Do axles make noise like this? It's very similar to the wub-wub noise but sounds more mechanical. I plan to drain the rear diff and check fluid, make sure all suspension parts are tight and recheck BJ's.

If it's not the other wheel bearing I am stumped at this point....
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

John, I would look into the axles if the diff checks out ok, I had a bad front axle that sounded like a bad WB, but after replacing the bearing the noise(mechanical thump- thump) remained and only went away after I replaced the axle.

Good luck at Topeka, you are long overdue for a nat trophy.

Quick Reply: Help! Noisy something..gotta drive to Kansas soon!