Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Help! Noisy something..gotta drive to Kansas soon!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax199
John, I would look into the axles if the diff checks out ok, I had a bad front axle that sounded like a bad WB, but after replacing the bearing the noise(mechanical thump- thump) remained and only went away after I replaced the axle.

Good luck at Topeka, you are long overdue for a nat trophy.

Thanks for the input Max. We'll see friday if the other wheel bearing solves my issue. Then axles it is. I looked at everything else last night and nothing is loose or out of place. No extra slop in the axles, suspension, driveshaft, etc.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so here's a little update.

Balanced the wheels. No change.

Replaced front left axle. This eliminated a nice steering wheel shimmy I had from 70mph+. The inner CV has more play than normal and is def the culprit here.

Noise is still present. I had a couple techs ride in the car and all agree the noise is in the back. So thats rear diff, axles and wheel bearings. Wheel bearings are good. Diff was just rebuilt (TRE) and a fluid drain shows nothing out of the ordinary except for quite a bit of metal on the magnet (very fine powder).

Left rear axle is next as it seems to be louder than right side.

If that doesn't solve it than we are gonna hope the car makes it to KS and back in one piece under its own power!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck John
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

J, no possibility of getting the car on a trailer for the trip?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well, finally found what the problem is. The front diff is shot.

Had the car on a lift and if you push the left side axle in towards the tranny it moves the right side axle away from the TC and vice versa!! Also spun the left front wheel and no other wheel moved...at all.....

We'll see today if someone has a diff to overnight and get this thing going.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you found it, but sucks that's the problem.

Before I read your last post I was getting ready to tell you it was the rear diff. After I put in my TRE rear diff I got ALOT of weird drivetrain harmonics and noize. Adding some LSD additive to the OEM Mitsu fluid helped some.

I have heard of alot of transfer case (and front diff) problems manifesting themselves as a rear end problem. Seems the driveshaft carries the noize to the rear diff and from there to the chassis. . .

Good luck, and hope to see you in Topeka!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I hope to see you guys too!

Apparently this is not the first front diff ruined by an autoxer. I am seriously wondering if the wheel spin from the short stroke dampers in the front is what killed this thing. That or launching on every single run!!

The steering shimmy is weird and intermittent and most likely from the axle's shifting side to side. I must imagine the noise is from some nasty stuff inside. I am hoping the fluid isn't too nasty and there are no other surprises.

Onto the good part, as we speak Mr. Ripple (TRE) is putting together a care package that should arrive tomorrow. Dan and I will do the install tomorrow night and hopefully make it out for a friday departure. I've got seals and the diff coming along with fresh tranny and tc fluid here, so the rest is up to fate.

John
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That's funny - Jon has a package for me too!! Nothing like tying up last minute loose ends!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck guys! After reading about the hill climb racers on here and what they went through at the 11th hour, I think ya'll will definitely be able to pull it off!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, last update before the trip out.

It seems as though the axles can shift side to side even with a brand new diff and we are talking maybe .06" of play.

With the new diff in the front of the car feels much better and the lsd action is definitely much improved (noticed by 2 drivers). There is definitely wear on the helical thingies in the old diff, in some places on the order of .010". I don't think there was anything in there with mind blowing damage though.

Alas, there is still some type of damn noise coming from somewhere but Dan tells my I'm being a ninny. So tomorrow night we leave for Topeka. Can't wait.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Whats in Topeka?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Scca solo autox national championships.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Alright. Finally pinned down the ultimate culprit here.

The answer is: TIRES.

My 20k kumho 712's have some very odd wear and were/are causing all the noise. This is probably due to the aggressive alignment that is always on the car.

If you read the thread you will recall I did drive on the street on some V710's with a friends wheels. There was still something there.

This time I drove on my own wheels with fresh Hoosier A6's and the car was like a dream. Very smooth, straight, no wobbles, nothing.

So I know I might sound foolish after all of this and it was the tires, but I hate to read threads that have no resolution when I am searching a topic. So there it is.

John

BTW, the money spent on the fresh front diff was totally worth it and I don't consider it a waste.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Alright. Finally pinned down the ultimate culprit here.

The answer is: TIRES.

My 20k kumho 712's have some very odd wear and were/are causing all the noise. This is probably due to the aggressive alignment that is always on the car.

If you read the thread you will recall I did drive on the street on some V710's with a friends wheels. There was still something there.

This time I drove on my own wheels with fresh Hoosier A6's and the car was like a dream. Very smooth, straight, no wobbles, nothing.

So I know I might sound foolish after all of this and it was the tires, but I hate to read threads that have no resolution when I am searching a topic. So there it is.

John

BTW, the money spent on the fresh front diff was totally worth it and I don't consider it a waste.

Good to know. I was looking at this thread a few days ago as my car has been doing the exact same thing since I bought it at 3000 miles (just over 5k on it now). I figured it was the tires (still on A046s - daily driving + four 10-run events so far) but with all the noises these cars make I wasn't completely sure.

I was a bit concerned after reading through this the first time that my front diff could be shot, since it sure felt like it has been working. Guess that answers it for sure.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheesh, feeling the same issue here started on Saturday, 3 days ago.. swapping out wheels/tires tonight and HOPING it is that simple too... replacing front diff is NOT in my 'pre-season' plans...