Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

wow... 09 Ralliart isn't legal in STX like the WRX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RaNGVR-4
No, I dont think it will be competetive in STU, but i do think it, and the 2.5 WRX's are STX class killers. the ralliart is not as heavy as the X, it has superior suspension to the subies, ect.
I agree the 2.5L WRX's shouldn't be allowed in STX but ...

The 09 Ralliart Ralliart weighs about 3500lbs vs the 02-04 WRX weighs about 3000lbs. Thats a 400-500lb difference!
Both cars have Macphereson struts in the front.
The Ralliart has mulitlink rear and the WRX has macphereson struts in the rear.
Ralliart has helical front diff vs WRX has open front diff.
Ralliart has ACD vs WRX has viscous center diff.
Ralliart has rear mechanical clutch diff vs WRX has viscous rear diff.
Ralliart has 237HP vs WRX has 225HP. Boost modification isn't allowed so power gains aren't as significant.
And the WRX has a better weight distribution (closer to 50/50).

IMHO, given all these suspension and drivetrain differences does not make up for the 400-500lb difference, especially on an auto-x course. But stranger things have happened ...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
but the transmission is some super crazy fast shifting beast
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
How often do you shift in autocross, once, maybe twice?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talk to Fair about how the X MR transmission has helped them.

I've seen it from the outside, the car shifting to 3 and back to 1 where you'd NEVER do it if you were rowing your own gears.

On tight technical courses, I think the dual clutch is definitely an advantage.

Plus LFB is easier and you don't ever have to take your hands off the wheel!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

The 09 Ralliart Ralliart weighs about 3500lbs vs the 02-04 WRX weighs about 3000lbs. Thats a 400-500lb difference!
Ralliart has 237HP vs WRX has 225HP. Boost modification isn't allowed so power gains aren't as significant.

IMHO, given all these suspension and drivetrain differences does not make up for the 400-500lb difference, especially on an auto-x course. But stranger things have happened ...
02-04 WRX's are 3100+, MAYBE 3100 even in STX trim with light seats. Ralliarts are 3400 lbs. Everything else you listed is in the Ralliarts favor, and subarus Don't have better weight distribution, the engine hangs two feet over the front tires. Seeing in person how crazy the SST is on a course, the Ralliart has an advantage. We may only shift once or twice, but the SST shifts allot, keeping the car in a good powerband.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
How often do you shift in autocross, once, maybe twice?
not if you want to win. good drivers shift a lot more than that.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
In autocross? You must be joking right? Anyways, as far as class goes, no one is really going to care about what class you're in unless you started winning and drivers in the class protests.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

I am more interested where the car will end up in street prepared. It could be a great ESP car.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

02-04 WRX's are 3100+, MAYBE 3100 even in STX trim with light seats. Ralliarts are 3400 lbs. Everything else you listed is in the Ralliarts favor, and subarus Don't have better weight distribution, the engine hangs two feet over the front tires. Seeing in person how crazy the SST is on a course, the Ralliart has an advantage. We may only shift once or twice, but the SST shifts allot, keeping the car in a good powerband.
You're refering to the curb weight of the 2006+ WRXs with the 2.5L engine. The 02-05 WRX's curb weight was 3,085lbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_...C_.282002.29_2

(I know its Wiki but I remember these numbers being correct because I used to own one)

The exact curb weight of the 2009 Ralliart is 3,462lbs.

http://www.mitsucars.com/MMNA/jsp/la...s.do?loc=en-us

That's a 377lb difference!

The weight distribution on the 09 Lancer Ralliart is 60/40. The weight distribution on the 02-05 WRXs are 56/44. I don't know but this seems like a pretty large difference to me. Not to mention since its a boxer engine, the engine sits lower than the I4 on the Ralliart, effectively lowering the cg.

No doubt the TC-SST is an advantage for the Ralliart but most auto-x courses are 2nd gear courses anyways. If anything the TC-SST should be considered as a small tool that equalizes the advantages the WRX has over the Ralliart.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
In autocross, really? I didn't shift much at the track let alone in autocross.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

Hmmm...almost everything you listed favors the Ralliart. I would also challenge the weight difference. Keep in mind, cars are evaluated in full 100 precent STX trim, so saying the stock tires suck, or it only has 237 hp doesn't mean much. The MIVAC motor responds *very* well to tuning, and the active center diff add up to a potential class killer. Note also that STX should see lots of diversity with the RX8 and the Colbalt coming in. The fact that the WRX is in the same boat (although due to displacement), and that initial classing is usually done on the slightly conservative side, makes this an easier choice and one that was pretty well supported.
IMO of course, nothing official, blah, blah...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Daworst, Weight is not everything anymore. Its just not. And thats coming from me; I am a huge proponent of lightweight cars, trust me. BUT, ~300 lbs (my brothers old WRX was 3180 on the scales, it was an 03) is not enough to trump a bit more power, along with all its other advantages. Prepped correctly, the ralliart would pwn up in STX. Look at how well fairly un-prepped STU evo X's are doing locally so far this year...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daworst, Weight is not everything anymore. Its just not. And thats coming from me; I am a huge proponent of lightweight cars, trust me. BUT, ~300 lbs (my brothers old WRX was 3180 on the scales, it was an 03) is not enough to trump a bit more power, along with all its other advantages. Prepped correctly, the ralliart would pwn up in STX. Look at how well fairly un-prepped STU evo X's are doing locally so far this year...
Whoa there cowboy. Remember that in STX/STU, all these cars have to run a 245 width street tire. Weight is a BIG deal when you are that under tired, don't you think?

d

EDIT: My under-prepped car (stock seats, stock battery, added radio, heavy wheels, etc.) weighs 3199 WITH ME IN IT.

Last edited by donour; Mar 24, 2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Washburn
Hmmm...almost everything you listed favors the Ralliart. I would also challenge the weight difference. Keep in mind, cars are evaluated in full 100 precent STX trim, so saying the stock tires suck, or it only has 237 hp doesn't mean much. The MIVAC motor responds *very* well to tuning, and the active center diff add up to a potential class killer. Note also that STX should see lots of diversity with the RX8 and the Colbalt coming in. The fact that the WRX is in the same boat (although due to displacement), and that initial classing is usually done on the slightly conservative side, makes this an easier choice and one that was pretty well supported.
IMO of course, nothing official, blah, blah...
Well if memory serves me correctly during Nats 05, 06, 07 and 08, in STU an STi with "inferior" Macphereson strut designed rear suspension took top honors and beat all the EVOs with their "superior" multi-link rear.

During Nats 08 the fastest EVO was an 03/04 EVO with an open front diff, viscous center diff and sans MIVEC. These are all quantifiable results.

My point being, I believe that everyone @ the SCCA BOG (STAC, whatever) is putting too much weight on the benefits of these minor incremental upgrades. Weight is the bigger player in the overall picture (I'm with donour on this)... I rest my case.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Mar 24, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

def agree, why would they put ralliart in stu along with evos and stis

Quick Reply: wow... 09 Ralliart isn't legal in STX like the WRX