Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What's the "first thing to go/notice" when doing trackdays?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So w/ motorcycles I generally went a couple of sessions before refueling with my 5gal tank. and that tank plus a full tank of gas in the bike lasted me all day.

If my evo will burn as much gas as I'm hearing, how the heck do u guys have enough gas on hand to be refueling so much? Or are you buying gas at the track? (which I hate doing cause they jack the prices) Or driving out of the complex after every session to fill up?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have always taken one of my off sessions to get more gas. Tracks in MI have a station or two within 10 mins out.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I go with a full tank of gas and a 5 gallon can, that usually does the trick. We will see how I do on E85 on Thursday. I might grab another 5 gallon can since the E85 station is 20 miles away.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bster13
So w/ motorcycles I generally went a couple of sessions before refueling with my 5gal tank. and that tank plus a full tank of gas in the bike lasted me all day.

If my evo will burn as much gas as I'm hearing, how the heck do u guys have enough gas on hand to be refueling so much? Or are you buying gas at the track? (which I hate doing cause they jack the prices) Or driving out of the complex after every session to fill up?
It depends on the track and how hard you're pushing. If you're at something like Road America - you're going to need to drop some fuel after every session!

If it's a more technical track or you're in a 'DE', then you could easily go 2 sessions w/o refueling. A lotta events have 2 sessions - lunch - 2 sessions so get gas at lunch.

Me; depends what gas I'm running as to where I buy it. I bring at least a 5gal container full with me. To start a full session, I really need above 1/2 tank to not worry about fuel cut in hard right handers.

There are some Fuel Surge tanks recently to the market. AMS has one here that I know at least they and Gates311 ran at SLB late last year. I heard RobiSpec was working on one.

Last edited by boomn29; Apr 17, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
I go with a full tank of gas and a 5 gallon can, that usually does the trick. We will see how I do on E85 on Thursday. I might grab another 5 gallon can since the E85 station is 20 miles away.
Ha!

When I went to Laguna last Monday I started with a full tank of E85 and took 6 5 gal jugs with me. 110 total track miles used 25 gals and that's better mileage than I expected. On my old 100 tune I used to get about 1mpg better.

My car is an 8 with stock cams and turbo and I was doing 1'42s.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran 5 20min sessions this Saturday in a nice 70 degree day.

4 of the sessions I ran pretty hard. Struggled to stay firm in the seat even though I'm running 6pt harnesses. I kept bracing with my leg on the door! By days end my neck was really getting sore from the helmet weight under cornering.

As a friendly reminder - continually check all those intercooler hoses guys! Dam things loosen up in no time.