Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Watkins Glen Wisdom for an Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here but a good reminder from every instructor is always good. Been doing it for 9 years myself but I still never go wide open first session. No need to hit the blue bushes
Old May 30, 2009, 06:06 PM

Misunderstanding

Originally Posted by meanmud
You do realize that TrackEvo is a seasoned driver, right
Sorry about that! I was implying "learning how to drive the Evo at the limits of its capability"

I picked up from my friends Evo IX MR that there are some differences on the track. I just have to take what I know about the track and see how the Evo reacts. Hopefully the "Moton Club Sports" and "Stoptech Big Brakes" will assist me with my lap times.

Adam
Old May 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrackEvo
Sorry about that! I was implying "learning how to drive the Evo at the limits of its capability"

I picked up from my friends Evo IX MR that there are some differences on the track. I just have to take what I know about the track and see how the Evo reacts. Hopefully the "Moton Club Sports" and "Stoptech Big Brakes" will assist me with my lap times.

Adam
Moton and Stoptech never hurt no one....................
Old May 31, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Out of the box the GT3 will be quicker but with some well placed mods along with learning how the Evo behaves you will be able to do amazing things. Nice video from the PCA event, looked like the track was almost empty! I think I had to pass about 4-5 cars per lap on average which is good practice for car control but will slow your pace down a bit.

I'll be looking for that video after the event in June!

Last edited by Hiboost; May 31, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Out of the box the GT3 will be quicker but with some well placed mods along with learning how the Evo behaves you will be able to do amazing things. Nice video from the PCA event, looked like the track was almost empty! I think I had to pass about 4-5 cars per lap on average which is good practice for car control but will slow your pace down a bit.

And learning when to drop that left foot into the brake has been the single most helpful tool I've found in the lancer.
Old May 31, 2009, 03:36 PM

The track had about 30 cars on it during that session. I always go out in the front of the session and get at least 5 good laps before catching traffic. Mostly, I only pass about 2 or 3 cars. Everyone in my group runs about the same times so it is very open.

The car does have some mild power mods! I have a list of mods at home and will post later. He is claiming 330whp as it sits right now. My buddy looked at the mods and said it is about right. Added some power but wanted to maintain reliability. I have high hopes for the car. It appears to be very well rounded when you factor everything involved with a street car that you take to the track.

When a car becomes a "full track car", the expectations are different! You tend to expect much more from a car that does not drive on the street.

I use the G2X for Data Logging and have certified times at VIR, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, Beaver Run, Mid Ohio, and Thunderbolt. I have times in my GT3 and also in a 05 997S with the VF Engineering S/C Kit. The 997 puts down 450whp.

The Evo I am buying just happened to be at Mid Ohio when I was there in the 997S. The Evo was slightly faster on the straight and destroyed the 997S in the corners. That is why I had to talk to him! One thing led to another and I am picking it up on Wednesday.

I am getting a new set of BFG R1 (275/35/18) for the Glen event. I will have a spare set of RA1 (275/35/18) which I will use after I heat cycle the R1's the first day. Burn up the RA1's learning the car and then put the R1's for the certified lap times. I will be interested to see the difference in the RA1's and R1's when it comes to lap times.

Anticipation is addictive

Adam
Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Some shots on the move from Track Time Photos, I'm going to have to buy a few of these. You can see my brake guides under the car in the first picture but I need to have much more airflow ready to go for my next event. Likely I'm going to get some 3" ducting in there and replace my front rotors with the 2 Piece Girodisc.

Entering the back stretch out of the esses.

Practicing a late pass into the Bus Stop

2009 One Lap of America VR4 at Seneca Lodge

A 350Z in the Instructor group that needed a reminder why the proper speed and line in the rain is important.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jun 1, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

3" ducting, yes. But I'd hold off on the 2-piece front rotors and put the money elsewhere - unless you've killed the OE's already

Wow - gorgeous shots
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

3" ducting, yes. But I'd hold off on the 2-piece front rotors and put the money elsewhere - unless you've killed the OE's already

Wow - gorgeous shots
We'll see, the front ST43 pads barely showed 1mm wear in 8 sessions while the rotors got hot spotted and shuddered on track when pushing more than 8/10ths. These OEM rotors got replaced by Mitsu 1 month ago and were fine on the street this time but warped badly when overheated. Perhaps I didn't bed the pads in well enough the night before and the lack of airflow didn't allow them to hold up. They seem almost 100% fine when cold so last night I moved to Magic Pads for the street and cleaned them up. I evenly sanded the surfaces with 60 grit and with a little luck they will come back. I may try and get them turned if that didn't do the trick as there seems to be plenty of meat on them of course. I took it easy on the drive to work and will properly bed the magic pads in tonight.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Probably bedding issue - I've been using the ST-43's as well on stock rotors (I love these pads). Seeing about 145mph into turn #1 at Summit Point with ZERO issues.

Big difference, I guess, is my weight; 3260 with me and about 1/2 tank of fuel. As well, AMS brake ducting kit.

Also- think about bedding the rotors in the night before. That's great if you're at the track already, but normal use (on the way to the track the next day) may in fact scrub off those rotors of the very material you want?? Acting like the 60 grit you used to clean them. Just my take - I'm certainly not an expert.

Last edited by meanmud; Jun 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Probably bedding issue - I've been using the ST-43's as well on stock rotors (I love these pads). Seeing about 145mph into turn #1 at Summit Point with ZERO issues.

Big difference, I guess, is my weight; 3260 with me and about 1/2 tank of fuel. As well, AMS brake ducting kit.

Also- think about bedding the rotors in the night before. That's great if you're at the track already, but normal use (on the way to the track the next day) may in fact scrub off those rotors of the very material you want?? Acting like the 60 grit you used to clean them. Just my take - I'm certainly not an expert.
I've seen this to be 100% true. I've had TONS of brake problems in the past. Now that I properly bed my brakes I've never had juddering at all. I used to just live with it. Trust the experts when they say it's not a warping issue, it's a transfer issue.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
I've seen this to be 100% true. I've had TONS of brake problems in the past. Now that I properly bed my brakes I've never had juddering at all. I used to just live with it. Trust the experts when they say it's not a warping issue, it's a transfer issue.
Thanks for the pointers guys, turns out I didn't really do a proper bed in procedure as I was rushed to get out the door Sunday night. I only got on the brakes a few times towards the end of the drive down thinking the pads were seasoned so no big deal...

Big ooops as the first session on Monday morning was the first real heat cycle and then the cooldown wasn't long enough before parking it nor was the time period before the 2nd session of the morning. Next time I'll know better and getting some better ducting back in there again certainly won't hurt matters.

While my in car camera coverage was a no go, here is one of my friends in his Legacy GT with coilovers, rear swaybar, minor power mods on street tires. I come into view around 2:32 and exit into the pits to give the brakes more recovery time at around 6:06. I was still managing around 2:20 laps with me nursing the brakes to avoid excessive juddering on the 2nd day but it was distracting to say the least.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbEFcQzDwE

Last edited by Hiboost; Jun 2, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

i have to get out watkins glen asap... any hpde events happening soon?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Wow! That's a fast and empty track! Looks so enticing. I've gotta stop looking at this crap and stick to my allowed 10 track weekends a year. lol my wife will kill me if I ask for more.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skochur
i have to get out watkins glen asap... any hpde events happening soon?
http://www.theglen.com/Car-Club-Corr...ub-Corral.aspx

There is a PDF link for the track rental schedule that lists BMW club, Trackmasters, TracQuest, and various regions of the PCA. Right below that is a Driving Schools link that has all the contact numbers for signing up.

Wow! That's a fast and empty track! Looks so enticing. I've gotta stop looking at this crap and stick to my allowed 10 track weekends a year. lol my wife will kill me if I ask for more.
Part of the reason there were so few trains is that we were allowing passing in any straights and actively practicing late passing techniques earlier in the day. They even were allowing passing in the turns on day 2 for the instructor group if it was done safely. :P

I would say your wife is pretty cool to allow 10 track weekends!

Last edited by Hiboost; Jun 3, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Wisdom for an Evo