Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Super Touring 2 race results - May 23-24 - Big Willow - In-car and Pics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Touring 2 race results - May 23-24 - Big Willow - In-car Video and Pics

For those of you who want to read about all the details you can check out the entire article on my website:
http://www.ednazarian.com

I was at Big Willow on May 23-24 racing in Super Touring. Its been a long while since I've competed on that track. The last time I competed there was May 24-25 2008, and that was when I was competing in NASA's Time Trial series in TTA. That was also when I first encountered problems with my brakes, which later on I found out was due to my calipers (that were so generously replaced afterwards by SCM). Big Willow is probably my favorite Socal racetrack, so I have been dying to race on it.

So it's been over a year since I competed at Big Willow. On top of that, since I was having braking problems during our May 2008 event I was never comfortable/confident with my car to drive it at speed as I typically would. So the last time I competed at Big Willow and was able to drive the track at speed without any issues was during our February 2008 event when I was running in TTA. Basically, its been a long while, so you can imagine how much I have been anticipating this event.

Well, it must be some sort of major coincidence, because I was having issues at Big Willow again for the same May event. This time around it wasn't my calipers, it was my alignment. John from Muellerized wanted to do me a big favor and give me a special setup for Big Willow, but unfortunately that alignment made my car out of my control. While at Big Willow we kept in touch with John quite a bit, and he helped as much as he could to assist us in adjusting my rebound/compression to amend the setup. That coupled with adjusting my tire pressures helped, but in the end the car was going to handle how the alignment was setup. Since I have never done my own alignments, I didn't want to risk making adjustments on my own. Besides, I wanted to race the car I had qualified with because I didn't want to make alignment changes and go into my race not knowing how the car was going to handle.

Sponsors and Supporters:
Before I proceed with the results of my 2 races at Big Willow, I want to say a big thanks to the people who made that weekend possible. Without their support I would not be able to do all this:

- Mike/RRE – Mike and everyone at RRE are the best. We are gradually making changes to my car, and this time around we changed the OEM oil pan for a Moroso oil pan through AMS. And since my video camera has been giving me issues lately, Mike hooked me up with 2 GoPro HERO cameras to try. That's right, I finally have some in-car to show!
- John/Muellerized – For keeping in touch with me all weekend through many phone calls to help adjust my setup, despite the fact that it was Memorial day weekend.
- Rigo and the powers at SCM – For replacing my front OEM calipers again. These guys are great.
- Martin/Girodisc – For hooking me up with new replacement rotors and pads. Thank you Martin.
- My track friends for helping out all weekend – Sean Bradley, Mark Homer, Rob Burgoon, and Honda Robert (even though I told him to stay home and rest, he still showed up on Sunday). Thanks also to Scott Pennock and Scott Howard for helping out with pictures.
- To all the spectators who came over Sat/Sun for moral support to see how I was doing. I really appreciate that.

Weather:
It was hot and windy. High 80s to low 90s. It wasn't ridiculously hot like how it gets in the summer, but it was hot enough. Our race was after 2:30, basically when the sun is beating down on us the most. And the wind was strong enough that you could feel it through the transition of T8-9. The wind was also a factor down the front straight being head strong, which slowed me down quite a bit.

Im really embarrassed by my times, but given what I went through, I cant believe I ended up in 2nd place on Saturday and Sunday. It sure is depressing to think about how hard I worked on Saturday to go from nearly last place to 1st place in 11 laps, given how my car was handling, to then lose it with 3 laps to go. However, im really happy with how I persevered. In actuality, I credit that to my friends, because without their support, I would not have been able to pull through. Not only were they hands on, they also provided tons of moral support. Looking back on that, I realize more now how vital their overall support was. Thanks a bunch guys!

So, despite the issues I was having, I fought through it on Saturday and went from nearly last place to 1st place in 11 laps. Set my fastest lap in lap #12. Had an off in lap #14 that I was certain ended my race. Since my car seemed ok I decided to finish the race. And to my surprise I ended up getting 2nd place. I lost the race that I should have won, but I felt like I won. On Sunday I dialed things back a bunch. I really had no other choice because given how my car was handling I had no confidence in my car. And I was never comfortable especially considering my off from Saturday. I fought through it again and somehow managed to get 2nd place again on Sunday. I learned quiet a bit that weekend. More than anything, I credit my perseverance to the unconditional support of my friends. Sean, Rob, Mark, Honda, they really did a hell of a job helping me out.

Specs:
Here are a few specs of my car from Saturday and Sunday. I was able to get on the scales on Saturday, so I can calculate a more accurate w/p ratio (weight/power).

3210 lbs = CW (competition weight)
21.6 psi = Peak boost with my MBC
320-330 whp = How much power I'm estimating my car was making given my boost
10.33-10.03 = My adjusted w/p ratio given those numbers

So given my CW and those other figures, im estimating that I was underpowered for ST2 by a good 50-60 whp.

Since I'm on my OEM engine and OEM turbo, going into this event I really wanted to break into the 1:29s in my race by Sunday. Even though I was severely underpowered for ST2, I'm capable of doing it. Unfortunately, I found out on Saturday that was not going to happen. What I'm really frustrated over is that I will have to wait until 2010 to race at Big Willow again, because we don't have any other races there this year. I suppose I will just have to deal with waiting until 2010.

Saturday Super Touring 2 Qualifying times:
1. 35 - Josh Carroll - 1:31.875
2. 77 - Jonathan Greenfeld - 1:33.571
3. 98 - James Wagaman - 1:33.674
4. 06 - Bob Stebbins - 1:33.739
5. 415 - Ed Nazarian - 1:35.025
6. 34 - Dan Miller - 1:36.584

Saturday Super Touring 2 Race results:
1 35 Josh Carroll - 1:32.780
2 415 Ed Nazarian - 1:32.427 (in lap #12)
3 06 Bob Stebbins - 1:34.200
4 98 James Wagaman - 1:34.174
5 34 Dan Miller - 1:38.739
6 77 Jonathan Greenfeld - 1:34.109

Sunday Super Touring 2 Qualifying times:
1. 98 - James Wagaman - 1:32.233
2. 06 - Bob Stebbins - 1:32.495
3. 35 - Josh Carroll - 1:32.902
4. 415 - Ed Nazarian - 1:34.356
5. 34 - Dan Miller - 1:35.440

Sunday Super Touring 2 Race results:
1. 35 - Josh Carroll - 1:30.327
2. 415 - Ed Nazarian - 1:33.763 (in lap #3)
3. 98 - James Wagaman - 1:34.794
4. 06 - Bob Stebbins - 1:34.022
5. 34 - Dan Miller - 1:34.478

Previous lap times:
In the meantime I also want to cover what sort of times I have ran in the past at Big Willow with my previous setups to illustrate how my car has progressed until now:

February 9, 2008 = 1:35.498
- Competing in TTA
- OEM suspension, 255/40/17 RA1s, 91oct map, 21psi boost making roughly 315whp

May 25, 2008 = 1:33.162 (with severe braking issues)
- Competing in TTA
- Muellerized JICs, 275/35/18 Hankook C71s, 23psi boost making roughly 340whp

May 23, 2009 = 1:32.427 in lap #12 of ST2 race (with handling issues)
- Racing in ST2
- Muellerized Moton club sports, 275/35/18 Hoosier R6s, 21.6psi boost making roughly 320-330whp

In-car footage from Saturdays race and Sundays race:

Here is my in-car from both my races. I'm convinced that I saved myself from a near roll-over from my Saturday race. The reason why I'm convinced that I saved myself is that I kept my foot in it, ie I kept my foot on the throttle. You can see it as soon as I put 2-off. You should notice that as soon as I put 2-off I got right back on the throttle. I then ended up going from putting 2-off, to having 3-off. The only tire that was still on track was my RF (right-front). Had I have panicked and lifted or gotten on the brakes, given the position my car was in, all that weight would have transferred to the front and my rear end would have stepped out even further in the dirt. And since I was carrying roughly 100mph through that section, going off sideways and lifting or getting on the brakes would have caused my car to roll-over instantaneously. Therefore, by keeping my foot on the throttle I prevented my rear end from further stepping out at around 100mph, and saved myself from a near roll-over. If you watch the part where I went completely off (not when I first put 2-off), at first it appears I went off pretty sideways. With further review, you should notice that I actually went off pretty straight:

- Saturday: http://vimeo.com/4984561
- Sunday: http://vimeo.com/5385993

Here is Josh's in-car from Saturday. It took me 11 laps to pass Josh to take the lead. You can see me faintly in his mirrors from around 13:20. I gradually closed in on him, then I finally passed him at 16:00. You can then watch me as I try to increase the gap between us. I'm working pretty hard to lay down some fast laps safely. In the meantime I set my fastest lap in lap #12 with a 1:32.427. You then will see my off in lap #14, from 21:52-22:00 where I lit up a long trail of dust along the outside of T9:

http://www.vimeo.com/4878060

Last edited by Bueller; Jul 1, 2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Pics are coming...
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ed I think it's time for a green turbo! Tony decided to run the green instead of losing weight in his ST-2 MR and he was out front, ahead of the Sti's at Pocono last weekend. He won new Hoosiers and Jr.'s Sti blew a turbo. As archaic as it sounds a set of 4 jack stands, string and a couple tape measures can work at the track for toe changes. A set of toe plates makes it easier. Any new track that requires camber changes will need a alignment check so try playing with a set up in the garage. We all need to learn and apply basic car set ups. Doing the set up is not hard, its judging what the car will need for the race in whatever conditions exist at that time. In practice and the qualifying sessions you can work the car but once the green flag falls you are stuck with what you did prior to the race. Right on, some day we will get the two coast's St-2 Evolution racers together!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Ed I think it's time for a green turbo! Tony decided to run the green instead of losing weight in his ST-2 MR and he was out front, ahead of the Sti's at Pocono last weekend. He won new Hoosiers and Jr.'s Sti blew a turbo. As archaic as it sounds a set of 4 jack stands, string and a couple tape measures can work at the track for toe changes. A set of toe plates makes it easier. Any new track that requires camber changes will need a alignment check so try playing with a set up in the garage. We all need to learn and apply basic car set ups. Doing the set up is not hard, its judging what the car will need for the race in whatever conditions exist at that time. In practice and the qualifying sessions you can work the car but once the green flag falls you are stuck with what you did prior to the race. Right on, some day we will get the two coast's St-2 Evolution racers together!
Whos going to buy me a green turbo, or any turbo for that matter? I looked around for sponsorships, but no one is interested. Im going to do what i can with what i have. At least thats the plan for now.

Youre right about me learning how to manage the basics of alignments. Thats one thing im going to learn before Nationals...hopefully.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I received a few pics from one of my guys. Ill get those up later on today. Thanks again to everyones support.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I know, I was talking at Watkins Glen last season to a few drivers about the lack of sponsors. Our problem is the distance we travel to perform in our sport. The local stock car- round race track allows owners and sponsors to show up on a Friday night after close to their home. They can work all day, go to the track Friday night watch their car/driver, then drive home that night, kiss their wife and kids good night and go to sleep. Our events are 2 to 3 days at a track hundreds of miles away from home. Unless it's a large company sponsor at a national pro level we are usually out of luck! Do it because its what feel you really are. Then maybe someone will recognize your passion and talent. "help is on the way"
Old Jun 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I know, I was talking at Watkins Glen last season to a few drivers about the lack of sponsors. Our problem is the distance we travel to perform in our sport. The local stock car- round race track allows owners and sponsors to show up on a Friday night after close to their home. They can work all day, go to the track Friday night watch their car/driver, then drive home that night, kiss their wife and kids good night and go to sleep. Our events are 2 to 3 days at a track hundreds of miles away from home. Unless it's a large company sponsor at a national pro level we are usually out of luck! Do it because its what feel you really are. Then maybe someone will recognize your passion and talent. "help is on the way"
Dont get me wrong. There are lots of people/shops out there who want to sponsor drivers with parts and so forth, but unfortunately for me (and you) pretty much most of them are looking for guys running in time attacks. But youre right, i suppose we can continue doing what were doing and maybe someone will join down the line.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 07:36 PM

Ed,

Good job...keep hanging in there. Go with what you know and stay within your comfort zone regarding the allignment. Don't try radically new stuff you have not tested. Excellent work!

Percy
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hagakure48
Ed,

Good job...keep hanging in there. Go with what you know and stay within your comfort zone regarding the allignment. Don't try radically new stuff you have not tested. Excellent work!

Percy
Thanks Percy. Appreciate the support. You make some good points. Ill see what i can do for next time.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
........As archaic as it sounds a set of 4 jack stands, string and a couple tape measures can work at the track for toe changes. A set of toe plates makes it easier. Any new track that requires camber changes will need a alignment check so try playing with a set up in the garage. We all need to learn and apply basic car set ups....
Right on. I started aligning my car this year. Sort of by necessity as there's nobody really close that can do it - and none of the regular tire places will touch the car because it sits too low.

I studied up and used the thread (and vid) below and it's not bad. Biggest thing is to level your garage first! Oh, and don't by the ceramic tiles; I found those crack right away up the car's weight!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eck-video.html
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I had a long talk with a semi-local FL shop that's starting to get out to tracks doing track support. Sent them the "list" of stuff I need to be fast and relilable in ST2/TTS so we'll see what they say. Hopefully I can join the ranks before the end of the year
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Right on. I started aligning my car this year. Sort of by necessity as there's nobody really close that can do it - and none of the regular tire places will touch the car because it sits too low.

I studied up and used the thread (and vid) below and it's not bad. Biggest thing is to level your garage first! Oh, and don't by the ceramic tiles; I found those crack right away up the car's weight!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eck-video.html
Thanks for the info Nathan.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I had a long talk with a semi-local FL shop that's starting to get out to tracks doing track support. Sent them the "list" of stuff I need to be fast and relilable in ST2/TTS so we'll see what they say. Hopefully I can join the ranks before the end of the year
Sounds like a good start. Having a solid shop that can back you up makes a huge difference. I am so thankful i have RRE on my side. Mike, the owner, is one of the most genuinely nice people i have ever met.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Since Vimeo has a weekly limit, we should have my in-car from my Sunday race posted as soon as were allowed.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller

In-car footage from Saturdays race and Sundays race:

Here is my in-car from both my races. I'm convinced that I saved myself from a near roll-over from my Saturday race. The reason why I'm convinced that I saved myself is that I kept my foot in it, ie I kept my foot on the throttle. You can see it as soon as I put 2-off. You should notice that as soon as I put 2-off I got right back on the throttle. I then ended up going from putting 2-off, to having 3-off. The only tire that was still on track was my RF (right-front). Had I have panicked and lifted or gotten on the brakes, given the position my car was in, all that weight would have transferred to the front and my rear end would have stepped out even further in the dirt. And since I was carrying roughly 100mph through that section, going off sideways and lifting or getting on the brakes would have caused my car to roll-over instantaneously. Therefore, by keeping my foot on the throttle I prevented my rear end from further stepping out at around 100mph, and saved myself from a near roll-over. If you watch the part where I went completely off (not when I first put 2-off), at first it appears I went off pretty sideways. With further review, you should notice that I actually went off pretty straight:
Ya need to move that camera closer or something - with it being dark in the car and so bright outside it's really difficult to make much out at times.

Anyways, I watched the 'off'. And yikes dude! So you're saying you kept your foot down all the way through the 'switchback' until you were off on the left then? Yowser; that's fighting instincts.

I had a similar situation on the street years back. I turned too sharply onto an on-ramp and went into a skid. The direction I was skidding was a huge dropoff though. For some reason I kept my foot in it and fought a 'switchback' and powered out of it before I knew what was going on. I credit video games!

Quick Reply: Super Touring 2 race results - May 23-24 - Big Willow - In-car and Pics