Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto-X Tire question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-X Tire question

Ok so I 'm getting ready to order bilstein struts w/ Swift Spec R and a Hotchkis Rear sway bar. I'm needing new tires. I have a stock set of wheels set aside strickly for Autox. Whats the best size and brand to go with? I read the FAQs on them but had no idea what to choose. I was looking for some experienced drivers feedback. I want R-compounds. I just went through a set of hankook r comps. They were used and free so when they got down to the belts I wasn't upset. Lol.

So Whats the Best/Widest sticky tire to fit on the stockers? Do I need wheel spacers or anything? Give me your advice! I don't mind if I will need to roll fenders.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

For auto-x, you'd want something that heats up easily/fast since you don't have much time to get the tires up to operating temperature. These aren't R Compounds, but these are known to heat up quickly and very well liked in the auto-x community:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

i jus autoxed yesterday for the first time ever.. i got FTD and i was runnin those direzzas.. not saying thats the reason i FTD'd but they held up extremely well... i was also runnin 3*neg up front
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Based on his mods I don't think he'll be running street tires. Looks like he's in SM (correct me if I'm wrong). He also said he has a set of wheels specifically for autoX so I don't think Star Specs are the right choice. I don't know what is though since I'm an STU guy. I'll defer to those who know better...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I'm thinking about NITTO NTO1's. I know they don't heat up the fastest but I was thinking about rolling my fenders and putting 275-40-17's on my rims? Any comments? I feel like these will last and i can track them if I want to.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only tire you should be looking at for autocross is the Hoosier A6. The typical size is 285/30/18 for 18" wheels. Someone else will have to comment on the sizes for 17's.

You might also look at the Kuhmo V710's if you want something that lasts a little longer at the expense of grip.

If you look at ANYTHING else for autocross, then you're wasting your time.

And to the person getting FTD on star specs... your region must be pretty weak.

Last edited by goofygrin; Jun 30, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clarifying that the A6 is for autocross
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
V700s here, not as sticky as the V710s or A6s. But also cheaper. 255/40/17s fit our rim, barely. But it works.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeeperjunior
Ok I'm thinking about NITTO NTO1's. I know they don't heat up the fastest but I was thinking about rolling my fenders and putting 275-40-17's on my rims? Any comments? I feel like these will last and i can track them if I want to.
Pick a class. Then tell us the rim width. If you force 275's onto an 8.5 or 9 inch rim they will bubble out on sides and not give you what you want. 275's will put you into SM, or BSP, or somesort of local class such as SM-S (street mod street tire). I think (and someone can chime in) that you need to go to an 18x10 with the 285's, this will require fender rolling and you really should be on coil overs.

As far as Nitto versus any of the mentioned tires I havent personally observed them on a competitive car. It sounds like you have spent some significant money on modifications. I wouldn't short change the most important piece

Of course stranger things have happened for instance the guy who got ftd at his first ever autox, LOL.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

TSM or SM (sti) street tire index.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, in the OP:
I want R-compounds
I assume he'll be in SM.

OP, what suspension are you on? How much camber are you running?

And I recommend you get new wheels, because an 8" wheel is REALLY going to limit the amount of rubber you can use (255 max width as SmikeEvo said)
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

My class is SM. I want to change all my suspension right now! lol. I can't find anyone with bilstein HD struts. If I need new rims then so be it I'll find a rim/tire package deal. I do DD this car so thats why i was hesitant about the coil overs.

Will the V700's or V710's be ok if I were to go to an actual track?

And I was just going to get the rear sway bar...... Is it better to just go ahead and do both?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

My class is SM. I want to change all my suspension right now! lol. I can't find anyone with bilstein HD struts. If I need new rims then so be it I'll find a rim/tire package deal. I do DD this car so thats why i was hesitant about the coil overs.

And I was just going to get the rear sway bar...... Is it better to just go ahead and do both?
I run on the HDs and Swifts. Great DD setup and works in AX/track.

I got the V700s for dual racing. They are middle of the road for both.

I only recommend doing both. There is a big thread on sways, search and check that thread out.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Well why don't you sell my your HDs and Swift springs so I can have this stuff b4 the two day event here. I'll send you my stockers so you'll have something to put on your car!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

The V700s should be fine, like Smike said. The V710s... Well, I blistered and corded two in one 20 min session on the track They'll heat up and turn to goo faster than you can blink. My dad even managed to tear up his front two on the S2000 pretty badly. Luckily his rears were the same size as my 4, so we combined the four, and sold them to an autocrosser who loved em.

If it were me, I'd just do the rear first, and see how that felt. Unless there's some great package deal on buying two, there's no point in buying tons of stuff and throwing it at your car. When racing, it's best to upgrade slowly, especially if you don't have tons of money. I haven't read the thread Smike was talking about (I never needed sways on my Evo, the coilover setup was perfect) but I do know that a ton of the Subaru guys and Audi guys are running rear sways only, to make up for the understeer, and that tends to balance the car out pretty well with a good alignment.

In short: No point in paying the extra for the front, I'd get the rear, see how it feels, if you feel like you need more work, then practice, and practice some more, then if you still feel like it is holding you back not having that front sway, buy it.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Well why don't you sell my your HDs and Swift springs so I can have this stuff b4 the two day event here. I'll send you my stockers so you'll have something to put on your car!
Car is staying complete. Just buy the whole car