Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo 8/9 vs Evo X in time attack competition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo 8/9 vs Evo X in time attack competition

First of all, when I say "time attack competition", I'm referring to the unlimited class. We all know AMS switched to the Evo X platform for their new time attack car, and so far they have proven it to be a faster car than their older CT9A chassis car. Does anyone know what the curb weight of their new car is vs. their old Evo 8 time attack car? It looks like their NOS Energy X is considerably quicker than the Sierra Sierra Evo, which leads to the question WHICH is the more viable time attack platform? Is the X (with its sayc, stiffer chassis, and roomier wheel wells) that much faster than the 8/9 platform ? Isn't the 8/9 platform lighter, or is the X JUST AS LIGHT when completely stripped down to race specifications? I've searched around the forums for these answers but have found very few relevant discussions. Maybe these questions still cannot be answered because so few have really delved as deep into X tuning as the AMS team...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Sigh. You wont find one because of the one's we've had we could never agree. It's just like asking which football team is better, you won't get the answers you seek. We could make a Pento roast the ams X, if you put the time, $$$, development and driving skill into it.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It seems in most drivers hands all things being equal that the handling aids built into the Evo X such as AYC do outweigh the slight weight penalty. I think for the most part that power is about equal on both platforms when you balance an engine/turbo combo for response and top end power suitable for a road course. The AMS Unlimited car certainly shows what can be done, end even Ryan Gates proves how quick an Evo X can be made in the right hands and that car isn't nearly as modified from it's original shell.

Likely the difference is smaller in the unlimited classes but for most setups I think the Evo X has proven it can gain a significant edge on the competition.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
From what I've heard, SSE is also moving to the X platform. It's my understanding that the X has superior suspension geometry compared to the 8/9 which accounts for the performance difference.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
From what I've heard, SSE is also moving to the X platform. It's my understanding that the X has superior suspension geometry compared to the 8/9 which accounts for the performance difference.
I have heard this rumor as well...not to mention that the chassis of the X is much stiffer than the 7/8/9 chassis, which allows for more refined tuning of the suspension.
Maybe someone will slap on a SAYC system to a 9 (ala JDM 9) and dominate! lol
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i think they balance out in the end...

look at the battle between gates and nills when they were on street tires.....

Also at the level unlimited cars are at, stock for stock the X chassis is stiffer. When you strip both, seam weld, and add a cage it all balances out.

And I think, im not 100% sure. But at the level of unlimited cars, the ayc is not even really active. I think at those levels of perfromance you rely more on a well balance set up of front and rear differential.

And another big thing is TIRES!! AMS's old time attack evo 8 never raced on Michelin Blues like the TA-X does. I know first hand that will shave upwards of 2 seconds around a track!