Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Rear Mounted Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
What is Euro rally cross? Is that head to head or mirror image courses or something like that?
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Rally America is beginning a series which will take place at NJMP in the fall, and if the format proves successful to the US market, it may expand across the country for 2011. Basically, rally cars with 45mm restrictors (instead of 34mm), running on a race track that's a mix of tarmac & gravel...6 at a time.

Dave
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Watched some vids. That looks EPIC! But yeah, going to need to bodyshop for sure!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - working with DHP to build a completely new wing setup for the car. Stay tuned - if it works out as well on the car as it did in my little mind it should be killer. Taking some ideas from the HKS TRB-02 car mixed with my own thoughts. Should work out to less than 1/3 the weight of my current trunk mounted wing setup. . .
Cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I'm unsure what I'll be doing for a wing this year, but for the rallycross and off road stuff, I may look at picking up a WRC replica, that funky dual hoop thing:

Not as much downforce as the stuff DHP is making, but for rally stuff, the wings need to be homologated. For PPIHC I may look at taking my 2009 wing and fitting it to the 2008 supports for this year, but haven't made any decisions yet. Time Attack has strict limits on "vertical inches" so going back to the old mounting style with the more efficient wing element has some advantages because of the way the vertical inches are counted.

Dave
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Matt -

That build looks pretty serious. I thought about the intercooling effect of running such long tubes. Kinda like the STS rear mounted turbo kits that don't need an intercooler because the IC piping is 16 feet long! Now if only someone had an aluminum tubing extrusion that was finned for more surface area to act as an even better heat sink.

Something like this. . .

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe something like that-- we'll see how the radiator does and if it needs any help. I'll be using a [relatively] small diesel engine running bio fuel likely making a maximum 250bhp, so in theory, I just have to get rid of maybe 90hp in cooling. Not too bad, thus my fairly small radiator. Any other help the cooling system needs will be adjusted via the bottom mounted ducts and possibly, as you mentioned, some pipe heat sinks. The flat underbody of the car is a perfect place to find some extra cooling air as long as you don't hurt the aerodynamics.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kekek
Are you trying to aid/shift weight balance?

I would think you start getting into the same issue as the mini battery where the piping gets so long you are adding more weight than it is really worth. Think weight of tubing + fluid for 20+ feet (output from engine & return).

OTOH you probably have a 20-30lb lump hanging off the very front of the car that would be nice to move.
This is what I was thinking too. All that tubing to the rear has to add weight.

Btw, there are small radiator kits out there already. I know AMS sells one that shaves like 10 lbs --> HERE.
I had it on my car for a short while and it did the trick.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i was thinking a same thing, mostly because it is more safe place there for the unit itself. But the better weight distribution is always a good add on.

Only thing is needs a big and a lot air ducts plus extra fans. so when you add on all the fluid the extra hose and so , it might be a a pretty good weight add on.

So that is why i dropped the idea. Butif you guys do it , and it is not that bad with add on weights and not a horrible work , i will do it too.

So please please keep us updated.

Rob
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I'm unsure what I'll be doing for a wing this year, but for the rallycross and off road stuff, I may look at picking up a WRC replica, that funky dual hoop thing:

Not as much downforce as the stuff DHP is making, but for rally stuff, the wings need to be homologated. For PPIHC I may look at taking my 2009 wing and fitting it to the 2008 supports for this year, but haven't made any decisions yet. Time Attack has strict limits on "vertical inches" so going back to the old mounting style with the more efficient wing element has some advantages because of the way the vertical inches are counted.

Dave
i love that wing , only thing is you need to modify the trunk door too. get rid off all the hinges etc.
As soon as they will come out something for the X , i'm sure i will rock it
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

when i had my porsche 944 turbo there was a company that made intercooler pipes just like you drew evolutionary. i think it was lindsey racing out of oklahoma city. i think you could even add water cooling to the intercooler pipes if you wanted.

heres the link:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...OLERTUBES.html
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

So the general rule of thumb is that an efficient duct only has to be about a quarter of the overall surface area of the heat exchanger. This is assuming you are getting your air in a high pressure place and exhausting the hot air in a lower pressure place and don't have ducts that allow air to come in, hit the radiator, and bounce out. This was my reasoning for letting the air travel a long distance to gain some inertia.

The P51 Mustang has been a lesson for a long time in proper ducting. It had a 1/4-sized intake and a similarly small outlet and was phenomenally efficient. The plane's design was actually SO efficient, that theoretically, the jet effect from the cooling system could actually produce THRUST-- as in the OPPOSITE of drag. This is only theoretical because you need engine power to create heat for the radiator to create the thrust, but this is actually an over 100%-efficient cooling system, all due to the fact that they use the perfect size inlets and outlet and place them in efficient places.

About radiator size: Again, if a small front-mount radiator is working, you can probably take a bit more off the core size. I realize that there are plenty of small radiator kits for sale, but the intercooling effect is quite dramatic and makes up for a lot of radiator surface area. The overall weight of the system wouldn't be enormous either since its essentially just one more electric pre-pump and some aluminum piping. This could also be spread out to wherever you'd like. You Evo guys are always looking for ways to move a Braile battery to the trunk for slightly better weight distribution-- imagine moving the ENTIRE cooling system rearward and removing it from IN FRONT of the front axle. That is HUGE.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Something like this. . .

Pre-Intercooler

Check this thing out, it's intended for extra cooling along an intercooler pipe but I don't see why it wouldn't work cooling liquid as well.

I've always been fond of the rear mounted radiator myself, great for weight distribution. I remember seeing it on Ken Gushi's drift mustang a few years ago, they basically turned the entire rear window into a lexan duct. Here's the only picture I could find of it.

Gushi Mustang Radiator
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Well extra rear weight is a big trend in race cars today-- sometimes close to 60% on a front-engine car. This involves moving the fuel, a bunch of ballast, and the transmission to the rear and moving the engine and driver as far back as possible. I should be looking at 52-55% of my weight on the rear axle for my project by doing everything the same with the exception of moving the transmission, excellent for coming off corners and better balance in braking.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious, what size AN line do you think you'd need to run for something like this? I think hard piping would probably be too much of a hassle to figure out.

Dave
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
-16 or larger. With a good electric water pump I bet -16 would be fine. Would use the lightweight black braided lines like I have on my current setup.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this may be a dumb question but could you still drive in the snow with a radiator like this if the snow is deep enough? or is it only for racing?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

-16 or larger. With a good electric water pump I bet -16 would be fine. Would use the lightweight black braided lines like I have on my current setup.
Cool, that's about what I was thinking...just wanted confirmation that I wasn't trying to skimp.

By my measurement, if you put the radiator in the plane where the rear seat back used to be, you'd need ~12-13' of line to get from the firewall to the radiator. I'm a big fan of the black lines as well, not only are they light, they cause much less bleeding when fabbing the lines!

Talked with a buddy of mine who does airplane stuff about ducting for the fans last night. His recommendation was to focus on the back side of the fans, produce an air tight shroud that's ~6-8" deep and mount the fans on the back of that. Then, make sure to narrow down the duct work after the fans to increase the speed of the exiting air so it won't cause too much turbulance exiting the rear of the car.

General rule is that if you're feeding from a high pressure area you can get away with an opening that's 1/4 the size of your core. So, if you choose to make a roof scoop to feed the radiator, follow that guideline. I don't want to ruin airflow over the top of the car, as that's what feeds my wing. If you feed from the side windows or doors without a scoop, its the fans that'll be drawing in the air, not the ducting so the 1/4 rule doesn't really apply.

I downloaded a NACA duct calculator tool last night and figured I could put a 25" long duct that's a max of 12" wide...but after chatting with my buddy, I don't think its necessary to use a NACA duct b/c the fans will be doing the work.

Dave

Quick Reply: Rear Mounted Radiator?