Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My Shock Tuning for Ohlin DFVs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Shock Tuning for Ohlin DFVs

WTF happened here????: I'm not sure who's idea it was to give one corner a random crazy damping curve. A progressive, digressive and linear rebound curve???? I'm not sure that is what Ohlins had in mind for their supension.

Notes: damping/rebound curves are the "before".... I'll have to ask the shop if I can post the after since he does have his own dampening analysis program and I want his permission before posting my new curves.

I have sent my Ohlin DFVs off to a suspension shop for a critical damping analysis. I talked to the suspension tuner today and since he does not set-up that many Evos, I am here to seek the help of those that are intimate with the Evo's suspension geometry and nuances. On to the important stuff...

Car: 2006 Evo IX MR
Car Purpse: Track days for fun

Suspension:
WORKS/Ohlins Stage III DFVs
Old Spring rates 10k/10k
New springs rates (getting installed) 600 lbs/in Front, 700 lbs/in Rear

Add ons:
Whiteline RCK
Whiteline Bumper steer
Works trailing arm bushings
Works 24mm rear sway bar

Motion Ratio Front: 1
Motion Ratio Rear: 0.8

Wheel rate of Bar Front: 60 lbs / inch (left and right)
Wheel rate of Bar Rear: 109 lbs / inch (left and right)

Weights: Car has not been corner balanced since new/lighter exhaust
Unsprung Weight Front: 131 lbs (both right and left sides)
Sprung Weight Front: 910 lbs (both right and left sides)

Unsprung Weight Rear: 183 lbs (both right and left)
Sprung Weight Rear: 519 lbs left, 416 lbs right

Tires: 255/40/17 NT01s

Current Impressions from Suspension Shop:
1. The Evo is nose heavy and he is concerned about the roll center. I informed him of the roll center kit and let him know that the spring rates I chose are pretty common in the Evo community and have been working out really well so far.

2. There was more digressive valving then he expected for a track car. He said he was going to make the valving as linear as he could. It appears WORKS did do some valving work from off the shelf Ohlins.

He looked up the factory specs for the DFVs and damping curves appear to be different.

3. Adjustments for the track. I usually turn my suspension to full stiff and then about 7-8 clicks softer in the front and 5-6 clicks softer on the rear. This seemed to work well for me. He was surprised that I did not have them softer. Most people I talk to seem to be in a similar range. Opinions on this subject?

Please provide any feedback you may have. If I'm paying a ton of money to get a sweet custom damping analysis with custom valving, I want it to be right!

Last edited by Spool4Fun; Mar 24, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

You should have just shipped the suspension to muellerized in Orange County, CA. Not only does he specialize in the evo's suspension, he has been doing it for years and helped develop the ralliart suspension for Mitsubishi as well as develop the moton suspension for the evo. Give them a call to get a quote as they're not cheap but you will get a great suspension setup custom tailored to you and your evo.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
You should have just shipped the suspension to muellerized in Orange County, CA. Not only does he specialize in the evo's suspension, he has been doing it for years and helped develop the ralliart suspension for Mitsubishi as well as develop the moton suspension for the evo. Give them a call to get a quote as they're not cheap but you will get a great suspension setup custom tailored to you and your evo.
+1, he will be doing Motons for me this summer
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
2. There was more digressive valving then he expected for a track car. He said he was going to make the valving as linear as he could. It appears WORKS did do some valving work from off the shelf Ohlins.

He looked up the factory specs for the DFVs and damping curves appear to be different.
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean here. Digressive valving is a good thing, especially on a shock that has only has a rebound knob. What was the reasoning for making the valving more linear?

3. Adjustments for the track. I usually turn my suspension to full stiff and then about 7-8 clicks softer in the front and 5-6 clicks softer on the rear. This seemed to work well for me. He was surprised that I did not have them softer. Most people I talk to seem to be in a similar range. Opinions on this subject?
I couldn't tell you if these settings are right or wrong (too many variables), but FWIW, I run less rebound in the rear than I do in the front, and a LOT less rebound than compression...

Please provide any feedback you may have. If I'm paying a ton of money to get a sweet custom damping analysis with custom valving, I want it to be right!
Who is this shop anyway? If you feel you have to come onto a forum and ask for a second opinion on what a shop is telling you, maybe you should take your car to a different shop?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by otek
huh..
Very insightful post...maybe try getting your post count up somewhere else

Curious to see the results Karl...I am sure it turned out well. Now if you need some 12k rates to swap on the back I know who has a set
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

You should have just shipped the suspension to muellerized in Orange County, CA....
What do you know about the person he sent his shocks to? I have gotten in touch with Mueller and the place he sent his about settuing up my suspension and his was just as helpful if not more. Mueller doesn't even sell Ohlins according to his site. If I had Ohlins, I would want to deal with someone who deals with Ohlins. There are plenty of people who can tune an Evo's suspension given the right data regardless of whether or not they are one of the two most well-known in the EvoM community. Besides, then he would be just another guy who "got Muellerized" and we would never find out anything in detail about his setup.

Anyway,
Great thread Spool4Fun, thanks for sharing. I really wish there would be more threads like this. It's interesting that the rates you chose for road racing are the same that I want on DFVs for autocross. Hopefully they would work well for both and street driving.

Please let us know how things develop on your suspension setup.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
What do you know about the person he sent his shocks to? I have gotten in touch with Mueller and the place he sent his about settuing up my suspension and his was just as helpful if not more. Mueller doesn't even sell Ohlins according to his site. If I had Ohlins, I would want to deal with someone who deals with Ohlins. There are plenty of people who can tune an Evo's suspension given the right data regardless of whether or not they are one of the two most well-known in the EvoM community. Besides, then he would be just another guy who "got Muellerized" and we would never find out anything in detail about his setup.

Anyway,
Great thread Spool4Fun, thanks for sharing. I really wish there would be more threads like this. It's interesting that the rates you chose for road racing are the same that I want on DFVs for autocross. Hopefully they would work well for both and street driving.

Please let us know how things develop on your suspension setup.
I'm not familiar at all with the "shock shop" or any of their capabilities, which is why I recommended John Mueller who I have used and know more about. Muellerized does in fact sell ohlins, in fact they just released a new setup with their custom valving and spring rates. I would argue that there are not plenty of people who can properly setup an evo's suspension to the same standards as someone who has competitively raced with the evo and gone through multiple suspension setups to find the best suited ones. My point is the above coupled with why risk experimenting with an expensive setup and if you're going to be spending the money and lots of it, why not spend it with a shop that has direct experience with the product and platform? Research and go with the known tuners, otherwise you are taking a risk that may not payoff in the end and result in more money spent and less time behind the wheel. Just my $0.03
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not familiar at all with the "shock shop" or any of their capabilities,
Then you're not very qualified to tell the OP what he "should have done".
http://www.shock-shop.com/Welcome.htm

Muellerized does in fact sell ohlins,
I said "according to his site." I didn't read "Ohlins" anywhere there. On the other hand:
http://www.shock-shop.com/Ohlins/Ohl...R&T%20Home.htm

in fact they just released a new setup with their custom valving and spring rates.
...which I'm willing to bet they will never tell you.

why risk experimenting with an expensive setup and if you're going to be spending the money and lots of it,
Because that's what real motorsports development is about, and how real progress is made vs. blind automotive consumerism and paying for the status quo.

why not spend it with a shop that has direct experience with the product and platform? Research and go with the known tuners
I have researched, and I actually had a better experience communicating with the shock shop than Mueller. I'm willing to bet Spool4Fun did some research too. At first I thought he worked with them because they were close/local to him, but in fact he sid he shipped his parts, which negates that reason. Obviously he found a good reason to, besides asking random people on EvoM for their opinion like so many other people do.

Your postcount is evil BTW. I wasn't trying to start an argument with you, but please don't say that the OP "should have went with..." just because you don't know anything about their chosen party.

Last edited by hokiruu; Mar 22, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of others including me do not know anything about the "shock shop" and I reiterate that the wiser recommendation is to go with a tuner that has first hand knowledge of the product and platform. I agree that product development is good as Muellerized does quite a bit of it for the evo suspension and purchasing from him isnt blind consumerism, instead the opposite as it is a well thought out purchase. Im not saying that the OP cant go to one place over the other, just giving him my recommendation with reasoning. Mueller will not tell you his valving that is correct and all it takes is one phone call to ask about their offerings as i agree their website is outdated.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:01 AM
chu
Evolved Member

The arguement doesn't help this post in any way! OP, maybe you should post on the motorsports section, and see if there is anyone can help out in there. I'm just learning this whole suspension thing myself!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree. Moved to Motor Sports.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Updated first post with the "before" valving. I don't know exactly what happened to the valving... whether WORKS did some work on these or what the deal is, but wowza!

Took the car out to a go kart track today, 15+ turns, 2nd and 3rd gear with laps around 1:15 and OMG... the car feels unbelievably better. The revalve is quite possible the best thing I have ever done to the car. +1000000 to Chris at the Shock Shop. He was even in contact with Ohlins directly discussing the suspension set-up.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
Updated first post with the "before" valving. I don't know exactly what happened to the valving... whether WORKS did some work on these or what the deal is, but wowza! OMG... the car feels unbelievably better. The revalve is quite possible the best thing I have ever done to the car. +1000000 to Chris at the Shock Shop. He was even in contact with Ohlins directly discussing the suspension set-up.
That is great to hear! Thanks again for sharing your data with us. It's rare and priceless IMO. You just made up my mind on what I already had planned. Since my car is parked about 30 min. from the Shock-Shop, I might have to go see him as soon as I get back west. Now that the weather is nice and racing season is upon us, I'd love to hear your impressions at a big track.

Last edited by hokiruu; Mar 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Wow, look how linear the damping curve is! That's extremely impressive. That's what makes this kind of custom work worthwhile.

That is great to hear! Thanks again for sharing your data with us. It's rare and priceless IMO. You just made up my mind on what I already had planned. Since my car is parked about 30 min. from the Shock-Shop, I might have to go see him as soon as I get back west. Now that the weather is nice and racing season is upon us, I'd love to hear your impressions at a big track.
The curves I posted is the "before", I need to get the shop's permission before I post the "after". Needless to say the "after" matches each corner pretty close to each other.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Digressive compression curves are nice because that allows the shocks to "blow-off" at high piston speed to absorb curbing at apexes. That's the reason for non-linear compression curves. Rebound is nice to have clean linear curves because it makes repeatable and scalable changes to how the shocks release.

Sounds like you are happy! Are you using a different rear bar?

Quick Reply: My Shock Tuning for Ohlin DFVs