Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Custom seat mount! Thanks for the pics! I should have just had custom ones made instead of buying the sparco ones but was hoping for a simple bolt-in project install initially.

In my test fitting, I discovered a new problem:

6) The Sparco base flexes too much on the outside rear corner. I can tug on the top of the seat and you can see the base mount flex. I was afraid that would happen with just the flat bar stock... Your design with the square stock looks nice and sturdy!

I may just resell the sparco seat bases and make custom ones similar to yours ... I'll see what may welder thinks... if modifying and strengthening mine makes sense or just building new ones from scratch.

My Sparco brackets get modified tomorrow evening, so I'll have some updates then.

As much as I'd like to loose the sliders, I can't. I need them to be able to move the seats fore and aft to put wheel in the back behind the roll bar.... I don't have a trailer

Without sliders, the height would be about like stock. I'd still want to go lower than that anyway...

Last edited by xtnct; Mar 22, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Last night I met with Jeff Parsons (awesome & helpful guy!!). He owns Parsons Fabrication that specializes in race car chassis and components. I showed him my issues with the Sparco bracket, he thought for a little bit and decided it would be best to ditch the Sparco ones and build new brackets from scratch.

We have almost finished a prototype. It is similar to what jid2 posted, but this design actually sits even lower. It will have multiple holes (similar to sparco bracket) to be able to install different sliders and side mounts allowing for more flexibility. Sorry, did not have my camera with me for pics (will post later in the week).

He mentioned that he could make more of them if anyone is interested.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtnct
Last night I met with Jeff Parsons (awesome & helpful guy!!). He owns Parsons Fabrication that specializes in race car chassis and components. I showed him my issues with the Sparco bracket, he thought for a little bit and decided it would be best to ditch the Sparco ones and build new brackets from scratch.

We have almost finished a prototype. It is similar to what jid2 posted, but this design actually sits even lower. It will have multiple holes (similar to sparco bracket) to be able to install different sliders and side mounts allowing for more flexibility. Sorry, did not have my camera with me for pics (will post later in the week).

He mentioned that he could make more of them if anyone is interested.
What are we looking at for time line and price on these brackets?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlayerZ
What are we looking at for time line and price on these brackets?
I don't have an exact price yet. He wants to get the fist prototype done then see how fast he can make the passenger side to get a more exact estimate. All I can say that the conversations so far revolved around being just slightly over the price of the Sparco bracket which goes for $110. My gut feeling is that it would def be below $150.

If you are serious, the timeline can be literally within the next 2 weeks. As he makes my passenger side, he can knock out more at the same time. PM me if you are serious and I will make it happen.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well, prototype is done. That thing is so solid, I could lift the whole car by it.

Here is comparison. I placed the slider atop the new bracket and the sparco bracket on top of that. As you can see, the mounting holes are at the same level indicating that the new bracket is lower by the height of the slider.

And an installed version with the mounting tabs & hardware installed:

Impressions: The seat is solid. No more movement. The seat height now feels about like stock. No issues clearing the B-pillar. The seat belt mountings are not there yet, but will be next week.

The bracket is a bit heavy (didn't weight it so don't ask for a number). We are going to make some changes/updates on the passenger side to see how that will work out. Already have a plan in place.

Stay tuned for updates!
Attached Thumbnails Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc03483-small-.jpg   Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc03489-small-.jpg   Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc03490-small-.jpg   Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc03496-small-.jpg  
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

I went thru many of the same hassles you've dealt with on my Mazda GTX a few years back (all parts from the Demon Tweeks catalog). What I eventually found is that the sliders are flimsy and even with a rock solid base, I still noticed flexing while driving. I was using base mount seats (Momo Starts), so maybe you'll have more luck with a side mount.

Revised brackets look nice.

Dave
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks... fortunately, everything feels rock solid, even with sliders in my case. Night and day difference from the Sparco bracket. There is a tiny bit of play in the sliders, but that is to be expected and not really something anyone could do anything about. It is not really noticeable and the price you pay if you need the functionality of the sliders.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jid2
My Sparco is solid mounted, non-adjustable, and dang low.

I took the lowering brackets and welded them directly to a base I built that mounts to the seat without sliders. Like you said the Sparco base is a high boy due to the fact that it doesn't drop in the rear like it should.

My solid base.

That's what I did sans I kept the slider hardware. My only issue unlike the OPs was the extra 2" the bracket/seat combo added. A hacksaw and welder took care of that!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ive got Pro2000 side mounted with no sliders in my 10.. dont feel bad. I had the first set of released bases and the sparco jig apparently was not correct. I had to cut and weld it together. This is minor. Remove the sliders.. and sparco side mounts dont flare out like those recaros which seems like half of your issue...
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, got some weights for you... measured with the 'ol & accurate bathroom scale (Decide your own margin of error here) All of these weights are per seat.

Aluminum side mounts: 2Lbs
Sliders: 4Lbs
Seat base bracket: 6.5lbs
Seat: 19 Lbs
Nuts & bolts: probably around 0.5 Lbs
-----------------------------------
Total: 32 Lbs

Stock seat + hardware (sliders & brackets): 37 Lbs

The biggest difference when handling the seats & hardware is where the weight is concentrated (center of gravity). The Sparco seat with hardware is much, much lower than the stock seat. I have no way to take a measure, but for describing the point, assume the stock seat is something like 60% bottom, 40% top, then the Sparco setup feels more like 90% bottom, 10% top.

Also, the second bracket we are experimenting with will have slightly thinner tube wall. With the current prototype, we used what was laying around the shop. By math, the second bracket should be about 35% lighter. Will have details by end of next week.

Pricing for these will be around $135, give or take a few...

Last edited by xtnct; Apr 4, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Painted and fitted in car. Now that all the bolts are tight and installed with belts and accessories in place, will need to to make a few minor tweaks on the pass. side to see how they work.

The holes give 1" of play to allow for different width seats. Adjusted to innermost gives a width of ~15.5" and if you slide to the outermost position, it gives you a width of ~16.5"

The length of the holes range from 10" to 14" in 1" increments. This allows for the installation of the sliders and also gives several different positions for the side mounts should I want to ditch the slider at some point. The spacing of the holes on the sidemount is shorter than the slider.

Attached Thumbnails Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc04010-small-.jpg   Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc04011-small-.jpg   Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare-dsc04012-small-.jpg  

Last edited by xtnct; Apr 4, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 05:18 PM

i custom made brackets for my Corbeau's and saved some good weight only to make it back up with the 4 point roll bar that i welded in...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like custom is the only way to go i to had a very hard time getting mine in and sits too high
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dotman05
Looks like custom is the only way to go i to had a very hard time getting mine in and sits too high
I can hook you up with a set of these if you want. Parsons Fabrication is willing to make more of them.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds good what's the price run?

Quick Reply: Sparco EVO Seat Install Nightmare