Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hillclimb Setup

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hillclimb Setup

I've seen plenty (as we all have) of Time Triall builds.. What about tarmac hillclimb builds? There is a local SCCA hillclimb about 3 miles away from me on a road I drive every day. I'm thinking about entering once I get more track time but not sure what setups these Hill Climb guys are running.

(i'm leary of hill climbs. i had a pretty serious wreck at one, still a little shaken.. But I'll give it another go)

There are some pretty badass STI's that run here but they lack Aero. Most of them just have rolled fenders and 275 Hoosiers on 18's with some engine mods.

I'm curious to see how I would compare?
Old May 17, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

A good east coast tarmac hillclimb setup is just about the same as a good national level SM auto-x setup car. I run the PHA hillclimb series and pretty much hold my own with all but one of the cars and drivers. And that is George Bowland, a multi national champ that has built one of the fastest hillclimb/auto-x cars around. He is truly a legend. I have much respect for what he has done, driving and building wise.

The evo can compete at such a high level in hillclimbs its rather stunning. The EVO can be made to run with the best. Just be careful out there, It's serious business!

Last edited by jerdeitzel; May 17, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

My car right now is prepared for NASA TTS. I'm not the biggest fan of the SCCA so I don't usually look up there rules. I'm not even sure if I'm eligible for a class in the SCCA thats not stupid fast.

Pretty much I'm completely gutted and caged, full suspension, build/stroked motor with FP Red and supporting mods. No widebody but its gonna be coming soon once my 18x9.5's come in. Small Aero mods for TT
Old May 18, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a perfect hillclimb car! I'm not too sure what you think stupid fast is but I'm sure your car is not slow.

SCCA classing is crazy sometimes. You really don't have alot of options as to where to run class wise. It's probably going to be special or ITE if they run that class. The gutted interior removes you from Street mod.

So what hill is it you live near? I plan on coming next year to wolf ridge to give it a shot.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

i'll have to look into it. i need to get re-classed.

It's the Rock & Road HillClimb at The Lodges at Eagles Nest. I drive that road every day. I know it like the back on my hand
Old May 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Depending on how long/steep the race is, you may need to turn extra attention to the cooling system.

Pikes Peak is half dirt, half tarmac, but its all smooth. The elevation really wreaks havoc on the cooling systems, so I've had to make all kinds of adjustments to my setup to be able to run a high HP car. 300whp was no problem, 500whp is a pain in the ***.

Check out the 2010 PPIHC updates thread I've got going for details if you're curious.

Good luck, have fun, and don't stare at the trees/rocks off the road!

Dave
Old May 21, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I'm at 6,200asl most of the time. I've dogged on this car so hard and havnt had an overheating problem other them an oil cooler line breaking once.

What type of cooling would you guys recommend? I just got an account setup with Vibrant Performance so I'm hoping to get all -AN fittings with Stainless lines for all my oil lines.

As far as the radiator, im on the stocker with stock fan.

Setups would be nice to see
Old May 21, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
I'm at 6,200asl most of the time. I've dogged on this car so hard and havnt had an overheating problem other them an oil cooler line breaking once.

Setups would be nice to see
It'll really depend on how much power you're trying to make, and the steepness of the hillclimb, the average speed, and the length of the event.

One of the events we run has an average grade of 9ish percent, and with loads of switchbacks, average speed for the event are probably at 60mph or less. That means heavy loads on the turbo (more heat), and slower speeds (less air coming thru the IC & radiator for cooling).

Here's the thread to see pics of what I'm doing to combat the overheating issues we suffered from last year at 500+whp. Keep in mind that this is complete overkill for a track day car....this thing is meant to climb mountains.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...0-edition.html

Dave
Old May 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

yea all we have here is switchbacks. not sure on the grade but its pretty steep and we rarely get over 50mph. Starts at 3,000ft and goes to 6,200ft in about 3-4 minutes so its pretty damn steep
Old May 21, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

If you're doing Eagle's Nest, you might as well do Wolf Ridge.

http://www.ccrscca.com/WolfRidge/WolfRidge/Welcome.html

I'll be the event MD; I'll either be pacing in my Evo or a silly Honda (they are sponsoring). I have run pace car for this event the last two years in my Evo; two years ago I was 22nd fastest without really trying in my stock VIII and one to three passengers.

Very cool course, with only one place to go upside down and only three places to smash into rocks.

Last edited by rburris28; May 22, 2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

seems like a good event. Thanks for the link. I'm excited to get out there. I'm still confused on the SCCA classing. Wish NASA held hillclimbs near me, haha