Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

New England Hillclimb @ Ascutney Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New England Hillclimb @ Ascutney Yesterday

We went to the first-from last event in the New England Hillclimb series yesterday. It was at Ascutney in VT. The hill is very bumpy at the top and by far the longest climb in the series at about 3 minutes in length. After launching and completing about a 1/8th mile straight the course ducks into the woods on a series of winding turns (over 25) of varying severity. Drivers cross a bridge at the top before encountering the bumpiest paved terrain imaginable in 3rd gear with the foot to the floor.

Autobon Evo helped hold up both the DSG and Evo contingent in his freshman event. He amazed me and surprised the rest of the veteran crowd with an ultimate finish time of 3:10 which unfortunately doesn't go on the books because his car isn't caged.

If a car without a cage exceeds the breakout time set for this hill of 3:20 the times are knocked off the record. This is to encourage new drivers to both take it easy and also prepare their cars for competition. Pierre's times dropped about 18 seconds in 3 runs on street tires!

Mine dropped about the same, 18 seconds from run 1 to run 3. Joey Kale gave the group of 50 or so drivers a lesson in course memory and no holds barred bravery running a best of day time at 2:52.

Pierre will comeback with a cage for next season and some proper tires. I will work on smoothness and also perhaps a second set of suspension ready for bolt-on specifically set and designed for hillclimb.

The current output of my Evolution is 490whp on a Dyno Dynamics at 27psi. The motor was built entirely in house and tuned with the masterful touch of Matt Koestner. There were 5 DSG serviced cars at the event, more than any other NE shop and no one suffered any mechanical failure under the strains of severe competition.

Also, there was a R35 GTR there owned by a Mr. Wilson who is a 20+ year vet driver in the series. He has sidelined his 996TT for the season. He was subject also to breakout rules and forced to keep the rest of us in the results by not bumping us down a spot.

I finished 3rd overall behind Joey Kale and Sherman Bauman, a circle tracker, hillclimber and 20+ year driver of a ZX10r powered Dwarf Car.

I think that WillV will also post some of his great videos. (taken from the side of his Evo 8) Hopefully he sees this thread.

Final Run Evo II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973Btvv5Z-s

R35 GTR Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWFpPcJf6c

Related sites:

www.hillclimb.org
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

Another video- my friend Adam's (of Magicrobots.com) Mini Cooper that we built. It's got a Honda B16 in it with Stack instrumentation, Carrera coilovers, KAD bladed swaybars, KAD rear trailing arms, ATL custom built fuel cell, rose jointed suspension linkage and pedal box with adjustable bias and remote reservoirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw0V8ntNijw
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very sick stuff. I would love to try that out one day. Looks very challenging which would be right up my alley.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

The schedule is on that link I posted in the first post. You should definitely try it- you'll be hooked. It's a great group of people who are great to learn from. Most of them are much more talented and experienced than the time attack crew.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Wow thanks Alex!!

This Hill climb event was the best weekend iv had in a very long time, im officially addicted. Id recommend it any evo owner, after this weekend I’m embarrassed I actually brought my car to the drag strip its seems like such a waste of the cars potential.

Id like to thank Alex and Dentsport Garage, firstly Alex for coaching me threw out the hill climb and helping me shave seconds of my time, it was really cool of him especially because he had his own runs to concentrate on. Secondly Dentsport for fully preparing my car and getting her running like a beast, the car pulled and handled so well, once again Stand up work. Now I just have to get a cage!!

Ps. Al, start a new thread with your dyno video!

Last edited by AutobonEvo; Sep 14, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats guys!! Pierre, glad to hear you did awesome for your first time!! I am going to check the schedule for next season, and try to make some of the events. I wanna come watch, talk and learn what this is fully about. Seems like there are a lot of very experienced drivers, which makes for good racing. Again, congrats!!!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Nice work guys! Maybe I'll make it to one if I ever finish my car!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats! I'm jealous
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yea its a blast, you guys should definitely come to the next hill climb!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

if i knew , the date.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

i tried checking out that link, couldn't really find much on the next event, looks like everything was in july and august or 2007. any thing you know for the next local event, i would really like to check this out.

Ajay
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

the philo hill climb is october 25-26. sorry i cant post more info but i'm on my phone!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

from www.hillclimb.org

Mt. Ascutney I: May 17-18, 2008
Okemo I: June 14-15, 2008
Okemo II: July 19-20, 2008
Burke I: August 23-24, 2008
Burke II: Cancelled Due to Conflicts (as of 29-May-2008)
Mt. Ascutney II: September 13-14, 2008
Philo: October 25-26, 2008 (as of 10-Jun-2008)
Old Sep 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

i try to make it to Philo. They require roll cage? I do not have any safety equipment in my X yet

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 17, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 03:18 PM
Account Disabled

You should read the rules on the website. There is a breakout time- if you come in under the time then you will not be allowed to run again until you get a cage. You might not breakout if it's your first hillclimb.

Quick Reply: New England Hillclimb @ Ascutney Yesterday