Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Twin 2" brake ducts setup.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin 2" brake ducts setup.

While a 2” single duct is better than nothing, it can barely keep up on a full weight 3,2xx lb car. Ideally a 3” duct is needs and it’s what most race team’s use, but it’s a very tight fit and requires a lot of hacking. My main goal is to maximize the air flow with minimal hacking. So after seeing Dave’s (apex electric) setup https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8047918-post28.html , I decided to fabricate my own.
I bought 2” OD SS tubing, 3”fans, 3”-2”reducer, 12’ of hose and some bolts and nuts. The fit is very tight, but it’s the best I could do without hacking anything other than removing the oil coolers’ scoop. Since the fans don’t necessary require a direct shot of air, I mounted the right side above the oil cooler facing upward; and the left side behind the horn with a slight angle of direct airflow. I also kept my old setup under the car, inside the factory’s under-trays’ air channel

As I said, it's very tight, but it clears the axle. It looks like it’s hitting the axle from this angle, bit it actually has a few mm’s of space.

This entire setup is going along with a fresh set of Giro rotors, CL-RC6 pads and fresh OE Brembo’s (bought “used” of a member) to replace my Brownbo’s. I will do a full CL review after I come back from the track.

Originally Posted by 18bora
Track update:

I went with NNJR-PCA to NJMP, lighting circuit. This was a solo event with plenty of track time, total of 8 (30 minutes) sessions a day. In total, I ended up with about 3.5 hours of on-track time (235 miles, 4+ full tanks of gas). Some track footage http://www.vimeo.com/11878174

The pads were bedded-in the day before and one more time on the way to the track; about 8-10 stops each time from 80 to 15-10 mph (closed air ducts).

On the street, the pads have a really good cold bite (face in the windshield bite). However, they are very noisy, reminds me of the HPS+ noise, very loud screech. Other than going to and back from the track, I would not use them on the street.

On track, the bite was great, consistent and never faded. In addition, I never felt any pad transfer or judder in between sessions. However, they did not last as long as I expected them to. First session was done on street tires (Spec stars) 2nd-7th sessions, on NT-01’s and the 8th I switched back to street tires; that’s when I last checked the pads. They appeared to have some life left in them, pad material was slightly less than the backing plate.

On the way back from the track, I started to hear grinding noise. I pulled off to a gas station and jacked the car to check out the noise. The pads were completely done.

The driver’s-side inside pad is completely gone.

This is what was a nice red caliper looked like at the end of the day

Last edited by 18bora; May 20, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting....

I think the way you have it setup, your tire will rub the hoses when you cut the wheel inside parking lots... You may have to cut some plastic...
Old May 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not stealing your thread... this is what Im working on

Its a single blower setup for the voltex... that connects to the AMS setup

this is the prototype... i will finish the final cuts and then carbon fiber will be the final

look for the finish product in the thread called "The official I made this thread"

Last edited by talentsearch301; May 16, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I say any way you can get airflow to those brakes is a good thing, all these ideas are getting my gears turning again.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:01 PM

very nice idea. I was thinking about doing a 3" brake duct but after seeing yours i might have to consider the 2 - 2" ducts
Old May 17, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Charlie North at Function First Motorsport built a set for my NASA Super touring Evo 8 a couple years ago. They have worked out perfect with no rubbing issues and a proper amount of cooling.

Old May 17, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

These are beautiful!
Old May 17, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

I want these... Now I'm gonna have to make them, haha.. I like those side skirts on that silver evo, they look good...
Old May 17, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 18bora
......I decided to fabricate my own.
I bought 2” OD SS tubing, 3”fans, 3”-2”reducer, 12’ of hose and some bolts and nuts......

Nice. What size of hose did you end up with? And are those vacuum hose attachments being used for air scoops? If so, what size?

I believe that's 3" scoops, a 3"- 2" reducer and 2" hose then?
Old May 17, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice,

what was the total cost of the DIY?
Old May 17, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know that having two 2" ducts looks fancy, but the opening between the caliper and the upright is only so big. And it's about the size of the single 2" duct. It's possible that a lot of the air is being directed into wasted space. But it's hard to quantify anything without actually testing it.

Here is a shot looking into the gap between the upright and caliper. Did you get a picture like this of the twin setup?

Old May 17, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Good work installing the fans they will help on tracks without long straights. Make the adapters out of fiberglass instead of metal to save weight. Not sure about the ducts picking up air under the car. They could catch on a curb or debris.
Everybody keep on designing and creating, we can all learn from each others successes or failures...
I remember when I first started a race mechanic told me to go to a SCCA race event and ask stupid questions and take a lot of pictures. Spy on everybody and learn all you can.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

thats why I did the single 3" with reducer to the AMS 2" setup

I originally fabbed up some carbon fiber nascar style brake ducts, but to much fitting issues

The new one Im working on...clean install...no need to do any hacking ...

fresh air from bumper, has a sreen to stop large pieces of debris... to 3 inch fan...to high temp hoses covered hoses...to reducer 3" to 2".... to AMS setup
Old May 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

His setup is nice but Im worried about the under car scoop...what if you run in the sand traps or dirt? or just track debree... ? HOOVER mode
Old May 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
I know that having two 2" ducts looks fancy, but the opening between the caliper and the upright is only so big. And it's about the size of the single 2" duct. It's possible that a lot of the air is being directed into wasted space. But it's hard to quantify anything without actually testing it.

Here is a shot looking into the gap between the upright and caliper. Did you get a picture like this of the twin setup?

good point, but remember that one of the hoses is connected to a fan. My guess is that would be for slow corners where you don't have enough speed to maintain decent airflow through the duct & brake scoops. When you have enough speed, the brake ducts and air flow over power the fan to maintain air flow over the brakes.

neat idea.

Quick Reply: Twin 2" brake ducts setup.