Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Three Evo's Competing at Mid-Ohio 8.14 and 8.15!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I told Patrick after that he made the right call in saving the car from a disaster. Who knew it was going to stop after about 5 mins.
That is a big benefit to the radios. Dave just bought a set last season during the time I was building his car. We had the few sprinkles when on false grid but I then went up on the balcony near the tower and with a roof over me I did not sense the rain coming in. Once I realized there was rain out there I repositioned myself to get good view of the sky so I could report an estimate of weather out to Dave. But Dave himself has many seasons of ice racing so slicks in rain, heck go for the ride He is out there to race and I was pleased to see a great race with the Vettes. Some whom took quite a ride when that rain cell passed over.
But in Pat's case, it can be an easy 10K+ of damage that is at risk being out there on the wrong tires. And one sure does not want the risk of incident in a first wheel to wheel especially only a few laps after experiencing how tight the action is on a start. Sure is allot that happens in the first 40 seconds of a race. In some ways it is to bad you did not just sit in pit lane and take a breather and catch your wits. That had to be frustrating when to got your helmet off and realized the rain had passed. Best to be safe.
For me, this was my first time out to Mid Ohio. What a sweet place and great group of people out there. I walked away from the SCCA scene 15 years ago and have not been doing track side support or working road race events since then. I actually find I enjoy it again, more so than before with the relaxed atmosphere at the NASA events.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. A good radio system would be handy. Mid-Ohio is a top notch course. Hopefully one of these days I'll get my car out there to try it first hand.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieN
But in Pat's case, it can be an easy 10K+ of damage that is at risk being out there on the wrong tires. And one sure does not want the risk of incident in a first wheel to wheel especially only a few laps after experiencing how tight the action is on a start. Sure is allot that happens in the first 40 seconds of a race. In some ways it is to bad you did not just sit in pit lane and take a breather and catch your wits. That had to be frustrating when to got your helmet off and realized the rain had passed. Best to be safe..
Thanks Charlie- I'm still miffed 48 hours later but there will be plenty of other opportunites

Originally Posted by CharlieN
I walked away from the SCCA scene 15 years ago and have not been doing track side support or working road race events since then. I actually find I enjoy it again, more so than before with the relaxed atmosphere at the NASA events.
Good to hear! What you and Dave have done with the car is awesome! Dave's lucky to have such a talented builder Hope to see you guys at the Glen in October
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks to NASA for putting on a great event in spite of the heat and storm on Saturday. Saturday the temperatures were 100 degrees in the shade in the paddock! I owe my success to Charlie North who built my Evolution 8 and US Race Gear who were at the event and sold me a cool shirt system which we installed at the track. I have had a issue withstanding the heat inside the car and extreme performance forces the car generates now. I decided the consequence of driver error outweighed the cost of a cool shirt system. Best decision I could have made! I had very little time in the car since last season and we had to slowly bed in new resurfaced rotors and new pads Saturday. This was also the first time I have used Hoosier A6 tires in a race. Sunday we qualified 2cd in class on R6 tires when the Pole sitter James Forbis was using A6 tires on his Corvette with a lap 1 second faster than us. We decided to use a set of heat cycled A6 tires and go for the win! I drove hard but smooth and found the A6 tires lasted for a 30 minute race. My brakes were great all race till the last 1/2 lap when the pedal started going down. The car is capable of more cornering speed and faster lap times with better threshold braking. Mid Ohio has corners that will make you feel you could have gone faster! There are secrets all over that track! Just look at the tire marks that were left by the Indy cars and ALMS cars that ran there the weekend before! Great to meet all the Super Touring drivers this weekend hope to go back next year!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Thanks to NASA for putting on a great event in spite of the heat and storm on Saturday. Saturday the temperatures were 100 degrees in the shade in the paddock! I owe my success to Charlie North who built my Evolution 8 and US Race Gear who were at the event and sold me a cool shirt system which we installed at the track. I have had a issue withstanding the heat inside the car and extreme performance forces the car generates now. I decided the consequence of driver error outweighed the cost of a cool shirt system. Best decision I could have made! I had very little time in the car since last season and we had to slowly bed in new resurfaced rotors and new pads Saturday. This was also the first time I have used Hoosier A6 tires in a race. Sunday we qualified 2cd in class on R6 tires when the Pole sitter James Forbis was using A6 tires on his Corvette with a lap 1 second faster than us. We decided to use a set of heat cycled A6 tires and go for the win! I drove hard but smooth and found the A6 tires lasted for a 30 minute race. My brakes were great all race till the last 1/2 lap when the pedal started going down. The car is capable of more cornering speed and faster lap times with better threshold braking. Mid Ohio has corners that will make you feel you could have gone faster! There are secrets all over that track! Just look at the tire marks that were left by the Indy cars and ALMS cars that ran there the weekend before! Great to meet all the Super Touring drivers this weekend hope to go back next year!
Hey Dave. Congrats on the win on Sun! Looks like your car has come a long way. Do you have any in-car? Would love to see it.

And it sounds like theres a new ST2 Evo. Patrick? Welcome to ST2.

So how did you 2 compare with lap times? And if you guys dont mind me asking, what is the difference between your setups...CW and WHP? Are the results posted on mylaps? If they are post the link.

I remember when i drove Mid-O, my first and only time, at 2008 Nationals in TTA. Its definitely a technical track, but it wasnt a thrilling track for me. Although, id like to drive it again to see how i feel about it now.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yea Ed my digital disc camera finally came through on Sunday's race. It recorded the entire race just passed the checkered flag! Great camera angle shows the action inside the car with a good view of the track. I do not know how to upload video to the web. If somebody would help I can send a disc copy to them through the mail. We picked up 2.4 seconds from my 2008 times. I know there is still much improvement the driver can make. I believe my car could match the track record if driven to it's limit. More time in the car is what I need now!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

What camera are you using? If you can't find any takers, I'd be willing to do it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sure send me a pm. I have no problems sharing my video. The custom solid aluminum drive train mounts make a gear shift noise I have never heard in any other Evo! It was absolutely cool the first time I shifted the car last year at the Glen. The pedals and gear shifter have been adjusted now to my liking. My brakes are restored and working well. The cool shirt and helmet cooler systems work perfectly. Radios are a great addition. I still have a hand held fire extinguisher and need to install a double bottle system, but the last most important item is a data system. I have done my research and the best pro data system is CDS Competition Data Systems, next the new Race Keeper video/data system is very good data and ok video overlay. Then you need a professional driver coach to work with you and interpret the data as to how you alter your driver impute to achieve faster laps.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Great to hear the recap of the weekend. Congrats to David on the Sunday win! I ran my autocross EVO on Friday in my first open passing HPDE3 session. We ran combined with TT/HPDE3/4 groups all together, so there was a pretty wide array of car capability and driver skill. I found myself still tucking in behind cars in the beginning, waiting to pass them on a straight

As I was pulling out to leave friday evening I saw Davids car, slammed on the brakes in my truck, then spent about 10 minutes walking around his car checking out the cool custom aero bits. Looks really nice and functional!

I ran a new personal best of a 1:37.1 on the club course on a 2 year old set of worn out A6's. Can't wait to get back out there on some fresh tires next time. Hopefully next year I'll be in TT or ST so I can run with some of you guys.

Here's a vid of a couple of my laps from last weekend at Mid Ohio. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhv2ZBqnUg
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Looking good!!!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

That was a very good lap! You hit all the traffic on the straights perfectly timed for clean passes. Plus a rabbit to follow. One of those German rabbits! You had the lines good but like me there is a higher level to drive at to reach the cars potential. I had a couple good corners throughout the weekend but you need to reach that every corner all the time consistently. It's what separates the pros from the weekenders. I hope more evolution drivers work up through lapping days to try all out racing. It will not be cheap but the experience is priceless.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Videos like this are pretty much useless for me. But it obviously depends on what you want from the footage. I mount my camera on the inside of my racecar so i can see what im doing (my hands, feet...). And i mount it in a location so that i not only see my hands/feet, but i also see straight out the windshield (which provides footage of where im going based on the inputs ive applied). That provides the footage i need because that is the type of footage that is important to me as a driver. I learn a great deal about myself by watching my footage because i have visual proof of what i was doing exactly. Besides, there is no way i can remember everything exactly. Furthermore, what you think you did is usually much more different than what you actually did. I can then focus on applying what i learn for my next race.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, I agree. I have in-car footage too with a high def camera. It has certain uses, as does high mounted out of car footage. I posted this one so folks could see my line and my sweet paint job

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Aug 22, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Yep, I agree. I have in-car footage too with a high def camera. It has certain uses, as does high mounted out of carr footage. I posted this one so folks could see my line and my sweet paint job
Thats good then. Not sure what sort of footage your in-car camera shows, but i still think that in-car footage given the factors i noted servers best for showing the line. I prefer that type of footage because i know why im driving the line im driving because i can see my inputs at the same time.