Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Three Evo's Competing at Mid-Ohio 8.14 and 8.15!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Three Evo's Competing at Mid-Ohio 8.14 and 8.15!

Just perused the NASA Great Lakes entry list and it looks like there will be 3 Evo's running around Mid-O next weekend

"apex electric" and I will be in ST2 and "racer145" will be in TTS

Anyone else comnig out for TT/racing or HPDE? So far, it looks as if the weather is going to be good (knock on wood) for the weekend.

Brant (metalsaber) should be out on Saturday taking pics (the guy really has some talent behind the lens!)

I have one of the small "ghetto" garages (garage 26 on the left), so stop on by at least to get out to of the sun for a bit!

Last edited by goforwand; Aug 9, 2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking forward to meeting both of you guys this upcoming weekend.

I will take you up on your offer to stop by to chat and get out of the sun a bit. Looks like the weather will be a bit on the warm side.

This will be my first trip to Mid Ohio. I'm hoping to learn the track quickly.

Anyone else going to join us???

Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll be down the road at the Buschur Shootout, be sure to post pics and movies after the weekend!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait to see you guys there. I'm hoping they have the Golf Cart rentals going so I can get pictures from a lot of different areas. I'll definitely be taking you up on the shade offer.

racer145 your going to love Mid Ohio. Probably the best course within a short driving distance.

Last edited by metalsaber; Aug 9, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Great racing by David (apex electric) who took the ST2 win on Sunday with a 1:35.xx on the Pro Course !!! David's car is very impresssive and extremely well engineered.

Jeff (racer145) shaved at least 10+ seconds off his TT times from his first time ever seeing the track on Saturday to Sunday, which is an awesome achievement considering how technical Mid-O is

My weekend wasn't quite as successful as David and Jeff. My ST2 qualifiying was OK, but couldn't make it happen in the races. First time in w2w was kind of overwhelming- the start is just pure freakin' mayhem. Came off too early on Saturday when it began to rain after seeing 3 cars spinning all around me like tops (stopped raining 3 minutes later!) Lost boost on Sunday after lap 2, so no chance to do much.

Still all in all was a fun weekend and it was great seeing the Evos' out on track at Mid-O

Hopefully will have some pics from Brant (metalsaber) to post up a bit later.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'm probably about 60% of the way through the photos. I'll have them up in the next day or 2.

How about that weather Saturday. haha
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:45 PM

I live like 10min away from the track.....how'd ya guys like it?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

While I've been there to watch a couple of races, I certain wish I lived closer. It's a great track.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goforwand
...My weekend wasn't quite as successful as David and Jeff. My ST2 qualifiying was OK, but couldn't make it happen in the races. First time in w2w was kind of overwhelming- the start is just pure freakin' mayhem. Came off too early on Saturday when it began to rain after seeing 3 cars spinning all around me like tops (stopped raining 3 minutes later!) Lost boost on Sunday after lap 2, so no chance to do much.....
Sounds like the car made it through it's first real torture test though! Congrats on that!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Sounds like the car made it through it's first real torture test though! Congrats on that!
Thanks Nathan,

Saturday was a coin-flip decison that I lost...Sunday was the first hiccup in the car all season long and couldn't have come at a worse time.

Still a great experience - but it will take some time to change the mindset going from TT to w2w

Hope to see you at Putnam in October!!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Hey guys...here are the pictures. The Resolutions are 1600px wide. If you want larger ones for printing, let me know as I have them much larger.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-suicide.html
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:48 PM

Saturday was a coin-flip decison that I lost
Hi Patrick, I was surprised when I saw you pull in the pits on Saturday, I was so hoping you were going to stay out but expect you took a nasty slide and decided you had enough.
Dave and I did not know where you were in the paddock and once the storm came in it was a bit of mayhem to get around to visit.
We sure hope you consider coming up the the Glen in October.

Met, Great set of pics there, Thank you.

Last edited by CharlieN; Aug 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieN
Hi Patrick, I was surprised when I saw you pull in the pits on Saturday, I was so hoping you were going to stay out but expect you took a nasty slide and decided you had enough.
Dave and I did not know where you were in the paddock and once the storm came in it was a bit of mayhem to get around to visit.
We sure hope you consider coming up the the Glen in October.

Met, Great set of pics there, Thank you.
Good meeting your Charlie. You guys had a great car out there. Patrick was in the 4 or 5 car paddock to the left of where the cars were entering the track. That was a blessing when the storms rolled in.

I was taking pictures on the last turns before the pit entrance. There must have been 3 cars slide off on that turn. It almost got really bad as cars were going in different directions to avoid a wreck.

I told Patrick after that he made the right call in saving the car from a disaster. Who knew it was going to stop after about 5 mins.

I'd love to take some pictures at the Glen, but doubt that I could pull that one off. Good luck,
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

It was great to get meet both Dave and Patrick this past weekend. Both of them are great guys that were fun to get to talk with. They both have great cars that alot of time and effort went into.

It was truly awesome being able to see two Evo's out there running in the Thunder group. We need to see more Evo's join in the fight. Job well done to both of you. Congrats to Dave on the spectacular race win on Sunday and congrats to Patrick for your first comp racing weekend without incident. Track conditions were less than ideal several times throughout the weekend.

I had a blast running at Mid-O. It is definately the most technicaly challenging track I have been to. Watching it on video does not do it justice for all of the elevation changes and off camber corners. It took me a while to get the hang of it but I finally started to make good improvements of 3-4 seconds per lap Saturday afternoon and into Sunday. It is definately a humbling track. Unfortunately most of the sessions for TT we had no more than 4-5 hot laps per session. At this rate it took a while for me to figure out the track.

Now that I'm hooked I will definately have to plan a trip out there once or twice next year. I felt that the 1:41 that I ran on the Pro was at least 5-6 seconds short of what the car is capable of doing, just need more time to work on lowering the times. That track has quite a few "pucker" areas that you have to build up confidence on.

Metalsaber - great pics of the Evo's in action. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was paddocked about as far away out in the paddock area as you can get since I did not arrive to the track until late Friday afternoon.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hopefully we meet up sometime down the road. Next time I can spend the whole 3 days out there to get some more pictures and even some video.