Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

David Fazzino & Function First Motorsports NASA ST-2 at Mid-Ohio

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David Fazzino & Function First Motorsports NASA ST-2 at Mid-Ohio

Great meeting David and Charlie at the Mid-Ohio NASA event on Aug. 14-15. David got some nice video footage of the race along with his great overall performance. I was able to get the footage on YouTube so you can experience a great race first hand.

David and Charlie should be along shortly to give you some more insight into the race. Enjoy 20mins of racing goodness.

Complete Video on Vimeo - http://www.vimeo.com/14510550

Part 1 - Don't miss the wreck at the 1min mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KRyqOmKLU

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBHc7QQaEs

Last edited by metalsaber; Aug 28, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice of you to do this for Dave. Ill check out the videos shortly. Btw, if you post it on Vimeo you can make it into 1 video, as opposed to several videos. Thats why RRE posts my incar on Vimeo instead of youtube.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just setup a Vimeo Account. Thanks Ed for getting me off my butt to do it.

http://www.vimeo.com/14510550

Last edited by metalsaber; Aug 28, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sunday Race Story,..

We qualified 2cd in class 10th overall out of 56 cars. The start was messed up from a ST1 car that slowed for some reason. When I caught up with the pack I assumed the start would be called off knowing that cars were stretched out behind me. The Super Touring group was one of 3 groups taking their own green flags. Everybody races to 1 checkered at the end. Also the green flag is taken on the back straight and the checkered flag finish is on the front main straight So they threw us the green flag not to mess up all 3 groups. I headed down the outside and got botched up by a accident which allowed everybody on the inside open room. The full course yellow came out and the restart had me 3 cars behind the St-2 leaders. The blue Corvette had qualified on pole for ST-2 1 second faster than me. I wanted to follow him and pick up speed instead I battled with the cars behind him. I passed the Viper on the restart and set my sites on the red Corvette the next ST-2 car in 2cd place. I had a good pass on him going into the keyhole and then ran several laps with a tube frame stock body car. At this point the Blue Corvette pulled into the pits with a problem and gave me the class lead position. My advantage was exiting the keyhole hair pin corner. I could accelerate faster with the AWD and match the stock car's speed for most of the back straight. His top end would start passing mine then we had a equal shot at braking into the right hander. We finally got passed by the Black Porsche Super Unlimited car that went off at the start. Then on the next lap I had my chance for a braking dual after the back straight. Once passed the stock car I built a comfortable lead until the last lap!
On Saturday 3 ST-2 drivers were disqualified for passing under the yellow on the same lap on the same corner? My self and the 2 other drivers have no recall of this happening and none of us had video to examine. My camera has been having issues and stopped working after 1 1/2 laps. As a result I was being very observant of flagging stations on Sunday! The white flag came out and the last time going into the keyhole a yellow flag was shown for a Factory Five Racer off the outside, right when I was about to lap another one. I held behind down the back straight till I could see the starter stand. No flag at the starter stand so I passed the back marker. Right as I am braking into the right hander the flagger points his yellow flag at me and shakes it at me! I brake hard and let the Cobra back in front of me. This waiting then over braking has let the red ST-2 Corvette close in right on my tail. I go over madness and there is not a single reason for that yellow! Not even any dust. I would love to have a word with that flagger. What injustice I have had to deal with lately! So I was able to hold off the attack by the red Corvette and take the checker 1st in class out of 8 ST-2 cars and 6th overall. Best lap was a 135.4 Not bad considering I have not had much seat time for 10 months. If I can get stronger as a driver I expect to do better. The Evo is being improved a bit more by Function First Motorsports for the next stop. The great track Watkins Glen! I am hoping a similar Number of ST-2 cars will compete. The EFI Logic's Subaru STi's and Evo 9 are very strong there.