Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

PCA Chuckwalla Valley Raceway 10-30-10 Report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCA Chuckwalla Valley Raceway 10-30-10 Report

Hello!

I attended my first track day with my Evo on Saturday October 30, 2010 at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CVR for short). It was my first time both in the Evo and at that track. As some of you may know, CVR was opened in April 2010 and offers massive runoff areas, some elevation changes and a banked "bowl" turn. We ran it counter-clockwise on Saturday which is a somewhat harder direction as there are a couple of blind corners, one of which is dramatically off camber.

Usually I run events with BMW CCA as an A+ (advanced plus) student. I have been doing track events since 2003 and auto-x since 1987. This was my first time out with PCA. They are a nice group of guys who show up at the track with some very expensive and well prepared cars. Their rules are a bit more loose than BMW CCA and as a result there were a lot of agricultural excursions.

To prepare for the event I changed to Hawk HT-10 pads, ATE Super Blue, Cobb AP and removed the clutch pill. I also got an alignment from West End Alignment in Gardena, CA. They put in 1.75 neg camber in front with 0 toe. Rear is about 1 degree negative camber with 1/32 toe in.

So about this Evo...um...I freakin' LOVE this car on the track. What an unbelievable experience!!! It just does everything right. Turn-in was sharp and precise, mid-corner attitude was easily controllable with the throttle, very neutral, and exits were fast and clean. While there is significant body roll, it never seemed to disrupt the suspension taking a good set. I probably won't change the suspension as the car is my DD 98% of the time and works well as-is.

It is amazing how accurate this car maintains lines through corners. On CVR counter-clockwise there is a corner complex (10-9-8) that is a tight left following a 110 mph straight, then a blind, uphill, off camber sharp right, followed by a gentle left. For the off camber right, I went late, sacrificed some entry speed, and just before the apex hit the throttle. The rear end rotated about 10 degrees (just enough to get the car pointed at a good exit) and then just stuck. Foot to the floor for the exit and through the following left. Time and again I would enter corners thinking I was too hot and about to scrub the front tires into oblivion. NOPE. it would set into a nice, gentle, predictable four wheel drift. Add throttle and it would just nail the apex virtually every time. Unbelievable!!!

The HT-10's lasted all day and never even came close to fading. They offered a great pedal feel and consistent bite. While they were very dusty, the Rejex (a high temperature wax) I put on the wheels really helped the dust come off easily. During my first session there was some brake judder but it went away as the day progressed. In all the pads worked well and I was happy. Other than being FILTHY, they were even tolerable on the street.

The lap record at CVR is 2:03. While I was not timing my laps, from watching the video counter the best I achieved (on stock tires) was 2:09. I'm pleased with that! A friend (and fellow A+ student) was there in his 335i running Z1 Star Specs, camber plates and Carbotech pads and he was completely unable to keep up with me. In the group I was running there was only 1 car lapping at approximately my same pace.

That car can be seen in front of me in the video here http://vimeo.com/16363555

It was a 135i with a JB3 tune (about 400 hp), CAI, TC Kline double adjustable coil over suspension, and huge Nitto NT-01 tires. He is also in the advanced group and seems to drive well. After our few laps together he came over to me and asked if my brakes were starting to fade. He then used braking problems to justify why he couldn't pull away from me... Then he kept asking what mods I had and I honestly answered that the car was basically stock, right down to the tires.

I had two different in car video cameras. My total cost for the setup was about $125. Attached to the rear headrest posts I had a Cruisecam mount with a RCA My Small Wonder camera. My other camera was a pair of DVR sunglasses purchased from ebay. I think they were $24 shipped from China and shoot in HD. They hurt like HECK when you put them into the helmet because the arms are fat. Once in they are tolerable.

My only mechanical problem (and I really hope somebody can tell me what's up with this) is that about half way through the day the gear selector became very stiff and inaccurate when engaging third and fourth gears. It is like the gate into and out of those two gears disappeared. There's no grinding or slipping and the gears hold fine. Now third feels ok, but fourth is still spongy, stiff and not quite right. I looked where the linkage attaches to the transmission and under the center console and everything appears to be ok. Any ideas?

Later I will upload the video of the Lambo going off. After exploring the runoff area, the tool in the Gallardo decided to get OUT of his freakin' car causing the session to go red flag. UGH...But not to worry, after they let him back out on course (a big mistake) he went off again. Then he passed a bunch of cars with no point-by and under checkered flag cool down. On the way home we saw him at the local gas station (about 19 miles from the track). He was wearing his nomex fire suit (color matched to his car) and Piloti shoes and strutting around like he was the S*%T. I really wanted to have a word or two with him but I didn't.

Here's a link to the video of his exploits http://vimeo.com/16392569

Thanks for reading this long review. I am just so incredibly enthused about this car I can't wait to get it out there again!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Great write up. I think the video quality looks more VHS rather than HD What setting did you run the ASC?

I didn't have any issues with gear selection during my track day at Summit Point but it may be due to having Redline fluid rather than stock.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:32 AM

Thanks Danny! I had to seriously compress the video of the Lambo to be able to upload it. The other one is higher quality but still compressed for uploading.

I ran ASC in the first off position. It was not intrusive at all so I didn't feel the need to go further.

I wonder what happened with my transmission? Very odd...in it goes to the dealership today for inspection...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I didnt read your thread in detail, but it sounds like you live in the Socal area. You should post this on trackhq:

TrackHQ.com

Its a smaller forum, but the majority of the members are into track events. The forum is geared more towards track enthusiasts. Members range from HPDE drivers, TT/TA, to racers. Some of them have ran CVR a few times. You can probably get some good feedback about that track from a few of those members who have ran CVR.