Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

dropping weight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
ditch the a/c. its useless in are car's. you have 4-60. or in most evo owners cases 4-130. thats 4 windows down at 130mph.

i would not get them seats. no way unless its 1/4 mile only. if you drive it on the street i would look into NRG carbon seats or the sparco evo carbon seats. both are 18lbs. remove the sliders and have it bolted to the floor and your gonna drop 40ish lbs from the stock seats. the NRG seats are 900 for both. the sparco's are 3500+ for both. haha.

you got more weight to loose. a lot more. how about all the free be weight mods?

brakes? i run girodisc ultra lights. daily on the street and there holding up well. you cant cut them but who gives a crap.

carbon fiber hood/trunk is another great way.
Dan do you have a link for the NRG seats?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
http://www.raceinspired.com/p-14908-...universal.aspx

They come in small, medium, large. Also they can be had for cheaper than shown there, that's just the first thing that popped up on google. (I've been shopping for them since they were mentioned in this thread )
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would also try to focus on removing weight out of the front of the car. These things are so front heavy. Try to get close to a 50/50 to make the car more predicable. Seats are huge, sound tar you don't need any of that. And ditch that a/c!!
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
I would also try to focus on removing weight out of the front of the car. These things are so front heavy. Try to get close to a 50/50 to make the car more predicable. Seats are huge, sound tar you don't need any of that. And ditch that a/c!!
Get rid of that heavy ACD too! The Pump and bracket weigh about 10lbs right on the Left Front corner. Having properly setup diffs makes all the difference
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the AMS Willwood light weight front brake kit for sale. PM me if interested. Best way to lose unsprung weight up front where it counts.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^ Pretty sure that kit's not legal in the class that the OP is trying to run. Can't run smaller than stock diameter rotors. Also, isn't that a drag setup, and not really suitable for conditions where you're hard on the brakes (like track days, autox, etc)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Good for autocross but probably not good for long track days due to heat. Some ducting would help. I use it for autocross without any problem. Tracks with long straights/high speeds followed by hard braking would over heat the smaller rotors.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
^ Pretty sure that kit's not legal in the class that the OP is trying to run. Can't run smaller than stock diameter rotors.
there's nothing wrong with small brakes in SM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XcreatonX

I just installed 2 NRG seats in my car without sliders & with Buschur seat lowering brackets...Weighed in at 15 lbs a piece. So both installed weigh less then 1 OEM seat. Only problem is I don't think the NRG seats are FIA approved.

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Get rid of that heavy ACD too! The Pump and bracket weigh about 10lbs right on the Left Front corner. Having properly setup diffs makes all the difference
I just picked up a non-acd t-case which will be built by Shep with a Quaife LSD. I will be ditching all the ACD crap & from what I understand everything weighs in at around 30lbs total.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab

I just picked up a non-acd t-case which will be built by Shep with a Quaife LSD. I will be ditching all the ACD crap & from what I understand everything weighs in at around 30lbs total.
Right about that. The only thing I haven't completely removed from my system is the ACD computer. I'm not sure if I can just unplug it and remove it, or if any other signals still relay through it.

And for the record on small brakes, I'm running tiny 2-piston brakes on an F-Prepared autocross car and they work just fine
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's mixed. If I still drag race I would of ditch that along time ago.

For Road racing and Auto X, I gonna keep it for now.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Right about that. The only thing I haven't completely removed from my system is the ACD computer. I'm not sure if I can just unplug it and remove it, or if any other signals still relay through it.
you can just unplug it. the only effect is it will turn on the 3 acd lights on the instrument cluster. ...which you could turn off by grounding the appropriate pins.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by griceiv
you can just unplug it. the only effect is it will turn on the 3 acd lights on the instrument cluster. ...which you could turn off by grounding the appropriate pins.
More info please, I want to remove all the ACD crap...haha...thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
The three lights are already on due to a fault showing (no pump, or lines, or ACD). So I guess I'll pull that extra couple pounds out of the car. Thanks Marshall
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

I think I will try to pick up the NRGs this winter along with other lightening. I would like to get under 3k with driver. also looking to go with 275 A6s on RPF1s.

Quick Reply: dropping weight