Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

dropping weight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dropping weight

I'm thinking about getting my car lighter for next season. As of now its 2898 with out me. I am still full interior (RS) with A/C. I'm debating on ditching the A/C due to the fact that I only used it a few times this year.
Also thinking about getting lighter seats. I was looking at the kirkey catalog and came across the Intermediate Road Race seat. Does anyone have experience with this seat, weight, feel, comfort? I understand that it won't be as comfy as the stockers or some other seat but I don't think it will be too bad with a pad.
Any other recommendations are welcome to shed weight.
Current weight loss
small bat
aluminum IC pipes and exhuast
enkei pf01
2 pc DS
AMS mustache bar elim
AMS front cross member
crash beams out
evap out
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I'd cut the ac. Be weary of class rules etc. kirkeys sound like a good idea, what harness system, and do you have a roll bar ?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in SM so pretty much open as far as I know.
I would most likely just get a harness bar until i get further into it.
I would like to keep full interior.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I'm in SM so pretty much open as far as I know.
I would most likely just get a harness bar until i get further into it.
I would like to keep full interior.
If you're just autocrossing, don't even bother with the harness bar, especially since you're trying to save weight. Just go with a Schroth 3-pt.

Also, it's not legal to remove your crash beams in SM

Last edited by RJones; Sep 16, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
Also, it's not legal to remove your crash beams in SM
Beat me to it lol
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Well what class would I be in then? They didn't come with the car when I bought them. So I would have to buy new ones or change classes.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well what class would I be in then? They didn't come with the car when I bought them. So I would have to buy new ones or change classes.
Either FP (you'd have to run a restrictor in the turbo) or XP (which is almost unlimited)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Come to FP, I'll loan you my sawzall

Last edited by SmokingTires; Sep 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like 2400 lbs weight min. what else are the class rules for fp? Smoking tires how many cars are in your class?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like 2400 lbs weight min. what else are the class rules for fp? Smoking tires how many cars are in your class?
It will be 2600lbs min next year. At Nationals this year, we had 25 in the class.

FP rules makes the car unstreet-able.

This is what my interior looks like (this picture is prior to removing the sound deadening). My doors are completely gutted beyond safe street use(They weigh just 25lbs each).

If you want to do it, it's a blast, but plan to trailer the car everywhere
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I am at that point 2800lbs dry. Then its $1000 to $2000 per 10 lbs. Spend $700 for a good fiberglass FIA seat or 3 times that to save 10lbs with a carbon kevlar seat. Carbon drive shaft? It starts getting crazy to keep going!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I don't think I would get that gutted. I bet it is a blast for a car that light. Right know I drive to the events. Looks like I'll be looking for crash beams.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I am at that point 2800lbs dry. Then its $1000 to $2000 per 10 lbs. Spend $700 for a good fiberglass FIA seat or 3 times that to save 10lbs with a carbon kevlar seat. Carbon drive shaft? It starts getting crazy to keep going!
How light is a fiberglass seat? My Sparco with mounts and slider only weighs 17lbs.

XcreatonX: If you want to loose some serious weight in SM trim, buy an AMS front tubular cross member (Saves 7lbs) and the Buschur mustache bar(saves 10lbs). A light weight driveshaft will help also.

If you don't track day your car, you can remove the factory oil cooler. You don't run hard enough at autocross to need it. Just let your engine run for a few minutes before you shut it off.

If your car isn't an RS, you can pull the carpet up, and remove all the tar on the floor (12.5lbs) and the sound deadening mat on the firewall (you have to pull the dash, but that ways about 12lbs also). The RS never came with these.

Last edited by SmokingTires; Sep 18, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

my car is pretty light, i did the aluminum roof, carbon trunk, dry carbon hood, headlight deletes, i made a custom wiring harness for the stock ecu (eliminates the fuse panels and almost all of the wires from the car). two piece AL drive shaft, lexan windows, two peice brake rotors, quartermaster twin clutch (a lot lighter then stock, ACT or exedy twin). removed the dash, one recaro race seat, reworked the steering column (quite a bit of heavy gauge steel for the stock one), gutted doors, fuel cell, etc etc etc etc.... the car weighs ~ 2600lbs with a full NASA spec cage.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm thinking about getting my car lighter for next season. As of now its 2898 with out me. I am still full interior (RS) with A/C. I'm debating on ditching the A/C due to the fact that I only used it a few times this year.
Also thinking about getting lighter seats. I was looking at the kirkey catalog and came across the Intermediate Road Race seat. Does anyone have experience with this seat, weight, feel, comfort? I understand that it won't be as comfy as the stockers or some other seat but I don't think it will be too bad with a pad.
Any other recommendations are welcome to shed weight.
Current weight loss
small bat
aluminum IC pipes and exhuast
enkei pf01
2 pc DS
AMS mustache bar elim
AMS front cross member
crash beams out
evap out
ditch the a/c. its useless in are car's. you have 4-60. or in most evo owners cases 4-130. thats 4 windows down at 130mph.

i would not get them seats. no way unless its 1/4 mile only. if you drive it on the street i would look into NRG carbon seats or the sparco evo carbon seats. both are 18lbs. remove the sliders and have it bolted to the floor and your gonna drop 40ish lbs from the stock seats. the NRG seats are 900 for both. the sparco's are 3500+ for both. haha.

you got more weight to loose. a lot more. how about all the free be weight mods?

brakes? i run girodisc ultra lights. daily on the street and there holding up well. you cant cut them but who gives a crap.

carbon fiber hood/trunk is another great way.

Quick Reply: dropping weight