Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kidloco51's IX MR track car build thread.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
less than a second between the TD an yoko slicks? color me impressed. ill watch the vid when i get home tonight.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the dial you are turning? Also, looks as if your windshield is pretty thin.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! 2nd in class and 2nd overall is really good out of 40 cars!

Watching the video makes me want to get my personal car done asap!

Thanks,
Dallin
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Congrats, nice job!

I see 7 people in your class. Now if you would just run Hoosiers you would have at least won 2 tires and most likely won 4.
I bought the TD's because I thought I was running GTA (80 tread-wear limit), I def need to try and run contingency for tires next time.

What is the dial you are turning? Also, looks as if your windshield is pretty thin.
Mo boost. , the windshield meets NASA regs but I think a thicker bar is needed.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

nice run. too many close walls at that track. one small mistake and car is trashed.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Your puffs of smoke look exactly like what was happening to our pikes peak evo. We had two issues, on the mountain. One that I knew about, which was the turbo oil feed fitting in the turbo stripped and was leaking the entire time we were out there (despite several attempts at fixing it... Ultimately the turbo was trash). The second issue was a result from one of our testing sessions. Month before when a freeze plug popped out and the car over heated. We
Believe it caused one of the rings to expand a lot (3 of the 4 cylinders were in spec, the 4th had doubled its gap. This in turn was giving us relatively high crankcase pressure and was filling our catch can abnormally fast. It was possible the smoke we had was also coming from blow by coming out the catch can burning up under the hood.

I would check for oil on your turbo, and see if your
Catch can is fill or if residue is building by the breather filter.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
Your puffs of smoke look exactly like what was happening to our pikes peak evo. We had two issues, on the mountain. One that I knew about, which was the turbo oil feed fitting in the turbo stripped and was leaking the entire time we were out there (despite several attempts at fixing it... Ultimately the turbo was trash). The second issue was a result from one of our testing sessions. Month before when a freeze plug popped out and the car over heated. We
Believe it caused one of the rings to expand a lot (3 of the 4 cylinders were in spec, the 4th had doubled its gap. This in turn was giving us relatively high crankcase pressure and was filling our catch can abnormally fast. It was possible the smoke we had was also coming from blow by coming out the catch can burning up under the hood.

I would check for oil on your turbo, and see if your
Catch can is fill or if residue is building by the breather filter.
Yup, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the smoke, probably the oil feed, I had the same issue with my boosted RX-8.

Awesome run though, absolutely incredible time considering the tires. You would have made up the difference between you and first place running full slicks. The fact that as a TT1 car you were so much faster than all the other TTU cars is impressive, and being 2nd out of 40 cars is bad *** man.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice run. That's an interesting track layout.

I had puff of smoke when I switched to gtx3076r turbo. Higher boost created more blow by and my crank case venting wasn't efficient. That caused too much pressure in the crank case and didn't let the oil drain fast enough from the turbo, and the oil push out the turbo seal. I removed the PCV completly and just run a straight hose to an open catch can and that solved the issue. I've since added another vent line at the balance shaft alignment hole in the front of the block.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
Nice run. That's an interesting track layout.

I had puff of smoke when I switched to gtx3076r turbo. Higher boost created more blow by and my crank case venting wasn't efficient. That caused too much pressure in the crank case and didn't let the oil drain fast enough from the turbo, and the oil push out the turbo seal. I removed the PCV completly and just run a straight hose to an open catch can and that solved the issue. I've since added another vent line at the balance shaft alignment hole in the front of the block.
I run 2 hoses from the valve cover to a large catch can (eliminated PVC).... How hard was it to vent from alignment hole?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates lately?

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Apr 4, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I run 2 hoses from the valve cover to a large catch can (eliminated PVC).... How hard was it to vent from alignment hole?
I just use a banjo fitting. Drilled out the holes on the bolt to get more flow. I used a honda fuel line that i had sitting around. STM has a fitting you can get but i think banjo fitting doesnt take up as much room.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10624370-post104.html

Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates lately?
We're all too busy playing with Miata's!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just read though your whole build... WOW! I hope to see the car someday!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

What is that purple knob I see you adjusting a few times??
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:58 PM

Man this cars come a long way

Quick Reply: Kidloco51's IX MR track car build thread.