Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kidloco51's IX MR track car build thread.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
One way of flocking dash that I know of is not wrapping it in sheets of material, but rather spraying glue on it, then spraying flocking fibers onto the glue. My friend did that in his race ar and it came out great. Weighs less too.

How do you spray over the vents etc? Look between the two pictures about mu dash. I saw spray job , but all of them got reworked and got a real flocking later.... some reason or other...
Material is not heavy at all, i doubt you can really measure the difference but even then how much is that, 10 sandwich size slice pepperoni? LOL

So form there why would you do a job twice? Just save a little money in the first time and loosing it + labor when you will do it right?

No spray is not of my cup of tee. If you do it , do it right. Number one rule in racing.

No offense just my experience in racing , which can save you a real money.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 27, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I would love to Flock my dash someday....Don't really know the process on how to. I def. looks sweet.
I did it with my racecar and posted a how-to here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2115918

It's $32 so can't beat the price. I had enough left over to do a couple more small panels if I want.

Only thing I'd do differently is get a friend to help apply the glue. You want to make sure you have the whole surface covered thoroughly in glue before applying the flocking material.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Jalal, it would be not really a good idea for a DD car, since it is very easy to get it dirty and hard to clean it perfectly. And i know you are a great photographer so you like details.

I dont know really how much is cost alone, since they did it when they rebuild my car completely for a "group A" car, ergo "open class" here in the states.
So it was a package deal.
You have to talk to them how much it will cost if you want it. In person really looks astonishing .
Of course i can help you on that but not in this topic.

cheers Rob
It's a perfectly fine idea for a DD. It doesn't get dirty unless you were to spill a liquid on it. It cleans fine. I usually use a lent roller, works great since the fibers aren't going anywhere.

I have no idea how much the alcantra stuff is, but again this diy kit is only $32 shipped to your door.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MSP608
I did it with my racecar and posted a how-to here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2115918

It's $32 so can't beat the price. I had enough left over to do a couple more small panels if I want.

Only thing I'd do differently is get a friend to help apply the glue. You want to make sure you have the whole surface covered thoroughly in glue before applying the flocking material.

It's a perfectly fine idea for a DD. It doesn't get dirty unless you were to spill a liquid on it. It cleans fine. I usually use a lent roller, works great since the fibers aren't going anywhere.

I have no idea how much the alcantra stuff is, but again this diy kit is only $32 shipped to your door.
i think the supply wont cost much, but for me the whole dash was removed etc , the whole filled up etc. Kind of a right way for me. Completely customized , cut out and modified for lighter weight the whole dash etc. I cant do that , not with any of friend LOL

just a sample pictures what i am talking about:
Name:  P5030018.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  118.1 KB
Name:  P5050020.jpg
Size:  140.7 KB

i think i talked enough about the flaking. If some one needs it LOL

if you can do it that cheap that is awesome by the way , and it is really good thing you can have in the race car. Plus i think it is really a great looking adition.

Rob
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Enough with the Flock

Well slowly but surely things are getting done. All the electrical is hooked up (including gauges and sensors) Started on the turbo tonight. Tomorrow finish up turbo, piping and install radiator. Hopefully fire the girl Wednesday

Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Size:  150.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Size:  127.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Enough with the Flock
Well slowly but surely things are getting done. All the electrical is hooked up (including gauges and sensors) Started on the turbo tonight. Tomorrow finish up turbo, piping and install radiator. Hopefully fire the girl Wednesday
Nice! Good luck! This car is gonna be a beast.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

^Thanks RJones

Well tonight was not my night to work on a car.....I struggled and cursed up a storm just doing simple stuff it seemed. I didn't get as far along as I wanted or planed. Any who on to the pics:

Name:  IMG_0718.jpg
Size:  105.1 KB
Windshield got reinstalled today.

My dad whipped up another heat shield to protect my sensor. It turned out sweet

Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Size:  106.5 KB
Bought $150 worth of fluids..... :tear:

Name:  IMG_0717.jpg
Size:  133.7 KB
Got the turbo complete, ran the new turbo feed line, Radiator is in and a few small things.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm very familiar with that exact same line-up of $150 fluids. Redline must have gold flakes in it.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
I'm very familiar with that exact same line-up of $150 fluids. Redline must have gold flakes in it.
Lol yup.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well some good and bad news.... I got the car all buttoned up (good). The car wont start (bad). The fuel pump isn't running and a I am getting zero spark. This leads me to believe I have a bad crank angle sensor? The sensor is getting 12 volts to it but I am not sure how to test the actual sensor? I pulled off my lower timing cover to check it out and everything looks ok. There is a hair line crack in the plastic where the bolt attaches. I wouldn't think that would effect it? I have a new sensor ordered up. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_0506.jpg
Size:  170.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0505.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

The fuel pump should prime and see power when the key is put to the ON position I believe - that seems fishy if it's not. Is it just not powering up in the start position then? I'm starting to talk myself into thinking you might be correct on the CAS being bad.

Good luck - this stuff sux.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
The fuel pump should prime and see power when the key is put to the ON position I believe - that seems fishy if it's not. Is it just not powering up in the start position then? I'm starting to talk myself into thinking you might be correct on the CAS being bad.

Good luck - this stuff sux.
I was thinking the same thing about the fuel pump priming when switched to the on position. I get nothing when the car is in on position. Even if the CAS is bad does the fuel pump still prime?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the fuel pump priming when switched to the on position. I get nothing when the car is in on position. Even if the CAS is bad does the fuel pump still prime?
It would still prime. Bad crank sensor would cause no injector and spark during cranking.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Did you do anything to the wiring harness during the cage install? Is the fuel system new? I'd try some continuity checks working back from the fuel pumps. I'll go confirm that voltage shows up at the pump at ON.

Last edited by jid2; Dec 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Jid2, nothing was messed with on the harness. The fuel system is the same just new DW301 pump. I worked back like you said and this what I came up with....

Allright I had a chance to mess with the car today. I took the fuel pump out and checked connections. 2 of the clips inside of the housing were a little loose to my liking so I fixed that. I tested all the fuel relays. I then checked to see if I was getting voltage to the pump (I am 5.85 volts). I am also getting 5.xx volts to injectors with key in "on" position. When I go to crank the car over I am finally getting fuel to come out the return feed. (I am little relieved about that) I am still not getting spark still.

When key is "on" I won't see 12 volts at the pump and injectors right? Voltage is controlled through the ECU as needed right?

At least I am getting fuel now, I was getting a little worried.

Last edited by Kidloco51; Dec 4, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Today was a successful day! I had a chance to replace the crank angle sensor and button up a few other things like my leaky turbo return gasket (If you buy a AMS pan do not use the gasket they give you It leaks like a *****).

Sure enough my CAS was bad. After I installed the new CAS the motor fired right up. Now I just need to triple check things, make some adjustments and get some miles logged on her then of to the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8yr25EHoc

Quick Reply: Kidloco51's IX MR track car build thread.