Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I wonder about running a o2 dump on track. I thought I remember reading in the NASA book if the exhaust exits before the driver, the driver has to have ventilation helmet etc.
Never heard of that rule before. Let me know if you find a reference.

I would recommend not getting the divorced wastegate dump. I had one on my old race car and ran it for a year in NASA HPDE's with no rule complaints. It was lots of fun to go wot on the street, but it was just kinda annoying on the track. Just unnecessary noise.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

How strict are the tracks on noise levels? Dumps are LOUD.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ That was another thing I was going to mention.

There is one track in Oklahoma that has a noise restriction because residential zones are encroaching on the track. Cars were asked to not go full throttle to keep the wastegate from opening! That is silly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about NJMP, but Summit Point is out in the boonies and some of the cars running there are deafening. However loud a dump is, it won't hold a candle to a cammed Corvette with open headers and side outlets.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nice build thread!

There is a pretty large group of EVO drivers here in the NE. I'm sure you will run into even more this year. Looking forward to seeing that thing on track.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Nice build thread!

There is a pretty large group of EVO drivers here in the NE. I'm sure you will run into even more this year. Looking forward to seeing that thing on track.
Thanks man! Do you run at NJMP? I haven't run there yet, but I'm really looking forward to it this year as I'll be there for at least 3 2-day events.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

when is the next event? i want to sign up, how much is it?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by playmajohn
when is the next event? i want to sign up, how much is it?
I'll be attending these NASA events this season, the Summit Point events with NASA MidAtlantic and the NJMP events with NASA NorthEast.

Apr 28-29 - Summit Point Raceway
May 25–27 NJMP Thunderbolt course
Jun 16-17 – Summit Point Raceway HYPERFEST ’12
Aug. 10-12 NJMP Lightning Course
Oct. 26-28 NJMP Thunderbolt

NASA MidAtlantic (Summit Point events): http://www.nasaracing.net/
NASA NorthEast (NJMP events): http://www.nasane.com/

Events are $350-385 for a two-day weekend event with 3 track sessions a day, and 2 classroom sessions a day for HPDE. I know NASA NE allows advanced DE3 drivers with TT licenses to run both in the DE3 group and in time trial sessions for an additional cost.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
maybe ill see you at one of the NJMP weekends. hoping to get down there twice this year to get as seat time as i can.

(pipe dreams of having my TT license by next year)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
maybe ill see you at one of the NJMP weekends. hoping to get down there twice this year to get as seat time as i can.

(pipe dreams of having my TT license by next year)
Awesome, if you come out to the event definitely look for me. I'll be running with the Agile Auto guys, so just look for the cluster of Subies around my Evo hehe. My buddy Harry will also be running his Factory Five Roadster and his wife will be running her Miata.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
haha, as long as you dont mind being bothered by a noob!

my first event ever will be lime rock the end of next month. still gotta pick out a few parts (mainly brakes). i have a super aggressive/optimistic schedule written up for this season since ive had the itch/been so motivated to get into this for so long and finally can start this year.

im sure every thing will change as events start and my budget goes out the window haha
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
haha, as long as you dont mind being bothered by a noob!

my first event ever will be lime rock the end of next month. still gotta pick out a few parts (mainly brakes). i have a super aggressive/optimistic schedule written up for this season since ive had the itch/been so motivated to get into this for so long and finally can start this year.

im sure every thing will change as events start and my budget goes out the window haha
No problem at all man, in many ways I'm still a noob myself. All the NASA guys are super friendly and cool so I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Also if you hang with the Agile crew, they are all super good people, even if most of them drive Subaru's!

Lime rock is a really cool track... I've seen races there, but never driven there. Lots of elevation changes. Here's a pretty good video of an Evo VIII in 2007 running it for NASA ST qualifying... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhD9ozlf9Xk
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Latest updates...

The Kognition wing arrived a couple of weeks ago, and was the incorrect wing (the fender mount wing). I just talked to Mike today and the new trunk mount wing should be shipping Monday. The wing stays have already been mounted, so it should be easy to connect up the wing.

DBA 5000 (front), DBA 4000 (rear) rotors with Hawk DTC60 pads (f/r) have been installed to replace my cracked Brembo drilled rotors.

The APR front bumper / air dam should be returned from paint today. Should finally be able to put on the front splitter, canards, and hook up the brake duct lines. Agile is fabbing up a new front tow hook for me as well.

The AC delete and stereo delete is done, and the rear door panels were pulled. Hill talked me into keeping the front door panels for now until I come up with a better way to mount the door pull/window controls. It's only ~10 lbs for both front door panels so I'll just leave them for now. Speakers were pulled from all doors.

Hyperco springs came in a couple of days ago with 9k/10k spring rates (f/r).

Weir Performance 12-plate rear LSD kit came in as well, so the rear diff should be pulled shortly for the plate swap.

Once everything is on the car, it will be aligned/corner balanced and I can pick it up, bed in the brakes and test it out before the first event of the season!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
About time you made an update
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome build!

sorry, somehow I missed your response...

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Thanks man! Do you run at NJMP? I haven't run there yet, but I'm really looking forward to it this year as I'll be there for at least 3 2-day events.
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I'll be attending these NASA events this season, the Summit Point events with NASA MidAtlantic and the NJMP events with NASA NorthEast.

Apr 28-29 - Summit Point Raceway
May 25–27 NJMP Thunderbolt course
Jun 16-17 – Summit Point Raceway HYPERFEST ’12
Aug. 10-12 NJMP Lightning Course
Oct. 26-28 NJMP Thunderbolt

NASA MidAtlantic (Summit Point events): http://www.nasaracing.net/
NASA NorthEast (NJMP events): http://www.nasane.com/
I'm at NJMP a lot. Its my home track. I'm sure I'll run into you (not literially, lol) at some point this year. I mostly run with PCA/BMWCCA/Trackdaze & SCCA but I will be doing a few NASA events this year, too.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but you should consider stopping by the event we have going on @ NJMP on Feb 26th. There will be a ton of EVO's there.

Quick Reply: Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread