Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Updates?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Updates?
The shop is closed today, so I should hear from them tomorrow where we're at. It should be pretty much just waiting on the Kognition wing. I sent an email to Mike today to try and get tracking info on the wing. I'm sure the wing will be good, but holy crap its taken a long time to get on the damn car.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
It will be worth it in the end. My car has been down for 7 months I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
It will be worth it in the end. My car has been down for 7 months I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
7 months is even worse than me... mine's been down 3+ months though, which is annoying considering its still street tagged/insured. I'm sure it will be down for another nice chunk of time when I build the motor, but I'm holding off for now. The car is ludicrously fast as is.

I'm definitely excited about driving it with all of the changes... massive suspension changes, diff changes, weight changes, etc. I'm going to run my first event at my "home track" so I can get used to it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Updates as of Feb, 28, 2012:
  • Rear diff is being completed and put back in the car today with the Weir Performance 12-plate MAXGRIP kit.
  • AC delete & stereo delete are completed
  • Rear door panels have been stripped/removed
  • Foam added to the door crash bars of the cage
  • DBA 5000/4000 rotors and Hawk DTC60 pads are installed
  • AMS brake cooling duct kit is installed
  • Hyperco springs with 9kg/10kg rates installed on the KWV3 coilovers
  • Volk RE30 rims w/Star Specs from last season have been put on
  • APR front bumper / air dam has been primed/painted
  • Kognition wing stays have been mounted
Remaining work:
  • Install the Kognition wing
  • Attach front bumper / air dam and APR front splitter using a releasable frame mount so they can be easily removed to load onto the trailer.
  • Attach APR canards to the front bumper
  • Corner balance & align the car
  • Top off with 100 octane fuel (to combat octane reduction since its been sitting)

Agile was hoping/planning to have the car back to me this week, as the only thing they are really waiting on is the Kognition wing. Unfortunately I've had constant delays and problems with getting the wing that is really starting to frustrate me.

12/1/2011 - I paid in full for the wing.

1/27/2012 - nearly two months later the wing was delivered. However, the wing shipped was not the wing that had been ordered and did not fit the mounts supplied with the wing. The wing had to be sent back to Kognition and my shop was told they would be sent the correct wing. I wasn't even contacted by Mike at Kognition about the screw up, and only found out because my shop got a hold of me.

2/9/2012 - I contacted Mike to ask about the status of the wing nearly two weeks after my shop informed me of the problem. Mike told me the wing would ship the following week.

2/17/2012 - I contacted Mike again for a status and was informed it had been delayed (again) and would be shipping the next Monday.

2/23/2012 - I received another email from Mike that the wing would be shipping the following day (2/24/2012).

2/27/2012 - I again contacted Mike asking for a tracking number for the wing which was supposed to be shipped on the 24th. He informed me that the wing had not been shipped but was going to ship out tomorrow (2/28/2012).

Suffice to say, I'm getting pretty ******* frustrated. I understand that accidents happen, and that companies fall behind in their work. I can even appreciate the fact that my queries were answered in a timely manner. What I find unacceptable is being repeatedly told about shipping dates that didn't happen over and over. If you cannot commit to a shipping date... don't tell me its going to ship out then. If I've waited 2 months for a product I've already paid for, don't send me the wrong product and then give nothing but empty apologies while I have my car sitting in the shop waiting for your part. I've heard excellent reviews of the quality of the product, which is why I've been willing to sit and wait for the wing to arrive, but Kognition clearly has a lot to learn about customer service, and based off my ordering experience I certainly cannot recommend them to anybody else at this time.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great build. Should be nice and reliable at those HP numbers. My old setup was at 432hp and I loved it. Good luck this season!!!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExtremeDSM
Great build. Should be nice and reliable at those HP numbers. My old setup was at 432hp and I loved it. Good luck this season!!!
Thanks! Yeah, its stupid quick with the current setup, instant power all through the rev range, no drop off between shifts and pulls to redline. The plan is to go to a 2.3L motor with a slightly larger turbo and better fuel, but I'm still sorting out the details.

Probably an OEM Mitsu 4g64 crank, GSC beehive springs/retainers, Wiseco pistons and Cosworth rods. I'm thinking a BBK-B Ball Bearing turbo upgrade as well. The only question is going to be fuel... I'm leaning towards E85, but its a pain in the *** to transport, no tracks sell it, and I don't trust commercially available sludge. Plus with the loss of subsidies the cost is going up significantly and I'm concerned about local availability. Dunno, I'll have to give it some thought.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2.3 with the black that I drove was nuts. The torque was nuts, spooled up awesome and the power was amazing.

Yeah, the E85 issue at the track kinda sucks. I will be trailering my car to the track so I will have room for lots of gas cans. LOL.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExtremeDSM
The 2.3 with the black that I drove was nuts. The torque was nuts, spooled up awesome and the power was amazing.

Yeah, the E85 issue at the track kinda sucks. I will be trailering my car to the track so I will have room for lots of gas cans. LOL.
Yeah, I'll be trailering as well... and for a TT car it probably makes sense to run on corn, since I don't need a massive amount of fuel for endurance racing. I just need to sort out my fuel pump situation as well, since I don't want to run a double pumper. I'm probably going to go to a big external pump with a custom swirl pot.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Yeah, I'll be trailering as well... and for a TT car it probably makes sense to run on corn, since I don't need a massive amount of fuel for endurance racing. I just need to sort out my fuel pump situation as well, since I don't want to run a double pumper. I'm probably going to go to a big external pump with a custom swirl pot.
Careful with the swirl/surge tank. If you plan on caging the car and racing it those alum ones won't pass tech.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Careful with the swirl/surge tank. If you plan on caging the car and racing it those alum ones won't pass tech.
Yeah, I've been doing some research on the best solution... I really want to avoid going to a double pumper for multiple reasons. I'm concerned about high g cornering for one, I've seen pretty bad results from the FullBlown one, and I refuse to buy anything from Buschur.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

So...almost 6 PM and no shipping notification on the wing.

Edit: Contacted Mike for a verification that it would be shipped today, and he said it IS going out.

Edit: 9 PM and no tracking info.

Last edited by blackenedwings; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Yeah, I've been doing some research on the best solution... I really want to avoid going to a double pumper for multiple reasons. I'm concerned about high g cornering for one, I've seen pretty bad results from the FullBlown one, and I refuse to buy anything from Buschur.
I've got some ideas we may try later that keeps it "in tank", i'll let ya know.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can easily make a block off plate for the rear cubby hole to work with our surge tank system. That will make it NASA legal, fix any fuel starvation issues and allow you to run any external pump you want. We've built kits with twin walbros, 044s, single walbros, and I ca do it with the aeromotive a1000 or a Weldon pump if you like.

Time trial proven too
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
I can easily make a block off plate for the rear cubby hole to work with our surge tank system. That will make it NASA legal, fix any fuel starvation issues and allow you to run any external pump you want. We've built kits with twin walbros, 044s, single walbros, and I ca do it with the aeromotive a1000 or a Weldon pump if you like.

Time trial proven too
That sounds PERFECT! Do you have any thread/link for the surge tank system?

Also I got tracking info for the wing!!!

It's almost time to get the car back... I'm so excited.

Quick Reply: Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread