Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What's NOT needed in the engine bay/front of car (Compiling a Guide)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
OP, I'm sure you have seen the weight reduction thread, I know its almost 60 pages but there is a lot of good info in it...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...have-done.html
I have seen it. It's 60 pages of scattered information on total weights of things. Not specifically what is the minimum needed to run on the front of the vehicle. I'm looking to have a more focused set of information.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
metal mesh on the front bumper, front bumper beam, horns, remove both fans and go to a lightweight fan, remove excess wiring, use the lighter version of the headlights without HIDs, use aluminum fasteners where you can, move your oil cooler to the rear of your car...or remove it.

make a lightweight turbo manifold and o2 housing... port your turbine housing, grind off casting flash.

Use a winberg crank.

use a REALLY light flywheel and a 7.25" clutch... use aluminum engine mounts. Buschur AMS front cross member, remove cross braces and hardware, hollow Tanabe front arb, aluminum carbing strut tower bar, swift or hyperco springs... 6" ones at that. Lightweight brake rotors. shave off excess brackets. Remove your balance shafts and the belts associated with them.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I ran 10.50s without an intercooler

poke poke poke

I also wouldnt do it again nor suggest it based on what we have seen since. While it is possible its weight I would keep in the car for obvious reasons. The car in question has an ETS 3" on it now. This all being said there are most likely lighter intercoolers you could switch to and minimise piping all at the same time.