Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i heard from the dealer the Super charged tundra actually needs more gas . ( i was on the edge to super charging, when i was getting mine. I did actually had an offer for a very good price for a kit.
But it is a BEAST for sure, and sounds amazing!
thats interesting - the motoiq guys were told by the dealer that it would use less gas, and they have said driving normally that they do get a little better fuel mpg (i think all of that is more or less negligible). they said they can tow uphill with 1/8th throttle with the supercharger now lol.. i dont imagine the mpg could be that much worse.

anyone's thoughts on whether the sequoia (suv version of the tundra) would do okay for towing? it's basically the same as the tundra, motor, drivetrain etc
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
thats interesting - the motoiq guys were told by the dealer that it would use less gas, and they have said driving normally that they do get a little better fuel mpg (i think all of that is more or less negligible). they said they can tow uphill with 1/8th throttle with the supercharger now lol.. i dont imagine the mpg could be that much worse.

anyone's thoughts on whether the sequoia (suv version of the tundra) would do okay for towing? it's basically the same as the tundra, motor, drivetrain etc
the super charged tundra drops gas mileage. It also becomes a 500+ hp truck

So all in all who cares? As long as is that fast. The reason why i didnt do it, because not the increased gas milage, i just couldnt see the point of it. Even today ( i like to mod cars) for a 400 Hp tundra , dont need an extra 100 + hp. Not for towing not for dd.
It is heavy, suspension is bad , tires are just spinning etc.
The sequoia with a towing package is good , and of course with the 5.7 Iforce engine.
The reason i didnt get a sequoia , because i do transfer gas tires and other smelly dirty stuff. And for a long haul , i dont want to sit in the same place with them. Never mind the high limits with an enclosed trunk vs the bed . I have a crew max wich is literally a same as a sequoia , only things change after the 2nd row seat. I also using a sequoia for work . Our company track is a Sequoia limited with towing package etc. in black

about MPG read the owners feed back vs magazines or dealers who try to sell things...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...ercharger.html
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

here is another magazine test for you

"But we sure had fun trying. Dusty conditions at an impromptu testing location precluded us from getting trustworthy test numbers, but we feel pretty confident saying this truck would accomplish 0 to 60 in about 4.7 seconds and conquer a quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds. As with the Lightning and the SRT10, the sensation of such a big thing charging forward so dramatically is eerie. Robinson described it best: “It’s like driving a ballistic building.”

Accurately controlling the truck was sometimes as difficult as putting its power down. The gas pedal offered little resistance, which meant that bumps in the road inadvertently turned into highly dramatic unintended-acceleration events. Although it had good on-center feel, the unmodified steering system communicated nothing once the wheel was turned. The ride, on the other hand, wasn’t nearly as awful as we had expected, considering the paper-thin tires, stiffer dampers, and lower ride height. Indeed, the TRD suspension upgrades offered better body control during power transitions over the stock truck.

An Idea as Stupid as It’s Always Been

Still, what became abundantly clear is that goosing up a pickup truck to supercar output levels remains an exercise in wretched excess, not to mention a recipe for even more dismal fuel economy. And we think the TRD supercharger might work better under the hood of Toyota’s equally massive Sequoia SUV, a vehicle with more weight on the back end and thus, we surmise, better able to make use of the extra helping of go power. Of course, that thing would be stupid—and stupid fun—too."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

the super charged tundra drops gas mileage. It also becomes a 500+ hp truck

So all in all who cares? As long as is that fast. The reason why i didnt do it, because not the increased gas milage, i just couldnt see the point of it. Even today ( i like to mod cars) for a 400 Hp tundra , dont need an extra 100 + hp. Not for towing not for dd.
It is heavy, suspension is bad , tires are just spinning etc.
The sequoia with a towing package is good , and of course with the 5.7 Iforce engine.
The reason i didnt get a sequoia , because i do transfer gas tires and other smelly dirty stuff. And for a long haul , i dont want to sit in the same place with them. Never mind the high limits with an enclosed trunk vs the bed . I have a crew max wich is literally a same as a sequoia , only things change after the 2nd row seat. I also using a sequoia for work . Our company track is a Sequoia limited with towing package etc. in black

about MPG read the owners feed back vs magazines or dealers who try to sell things...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...ercharger.html
yeah i would love sequoia, and i would love to supercharge that beast.. 500hp 550 lbft lol just insane
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i would love sequoia, and i would love to supercharge that beast.. 500hp 550 lbft lol just insane
i was riding one super charged tundra, the dealer has one for show. It is insane and the sound is out of this world.!!!! The money and the warranty still in place it is a great deal, if you are truck crazy. Which is i am not. I look them as a necessary tools to get me to my races
That is why i cant justify the price, i rather put that money in my races or my car
BUT i can definitely see if some one gets it for his truck, it is a real show stopper. And a suprise for many sport car driver ... LOL Specially if they out of boost ...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

i was riding one super charged tundra, the dealer has one for show. It is insane and the sound is out of this world.!!!! The money and the warranty still in place it is a great deal, if you are truck crazy. Which is i am not. I look them as a necessary tools to get me to my races
That is why i cant justify the price, i rather put that money in my races or my car
BUT i can definitely see if some one gets it for his truck, it is a real show stopper. And a suprise for many sport car driver ... LOL Specially if they out of boost ...
went through that thread, the guys who weren't hooning it didn't do that poorly with mpg but like you said, not the point and don't care, more of just a curiosity
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

went through that thread, the guys who weren't hooning it didn't do that poorly with mpg but like you said, not the point and don't care, more of just a curiosity
i am doing 17 mpg average, they usually report around 14 , but who stumps on it 10 , the crazy ones 4 ... lol The guys at the dealer said they got 14 mpg average. But they dont tow at all with the truck. He said if they get on it , be ready for gas cost and tire cost a same time.

You can safely say you will drop easy 2-3 mpg vs the N/A engine.
They also remap you transmission for the SC not just the ECU. Which makes the package a whole lot better!

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

i am doing 17 mpg average, they usually report around 14 , but who stumps on it 10 , the crazy ones 4 ... lol The guys at the dealer said they got 14 mpg average. But they dont tow at all with the truck. He said if they get on it , be ready for gas cost and tire cost a same time.

You can safely say you will drop easy 2-3 mpg vs the N/A engine.
They also remap you transmission for the SC not just the ECU. Which makes the package a whole lot better!
good info, thanks. i just wanna haul a sequoia around instead of a minivan when the time comes lol
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone is coming to pick up my gas 5.4 lifted F350 this week for $9500.

I can't find many good deals for cummins or duramax trucks for under $10k. Might have to go with a powerstrokeme.

What's the best combo for towing? 99.5-02 Cummins with manual trans?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

good info, thanks. i just wanna haul a sequoia around instead of a minivan when the time comes lol
i love the Seqouia, it feels more like a truck, and does have a not so great gas milage. But i love it. feels solid , strong like a tank. The Suburban doesnt feels like that
Also very spacious etc. You wont regret it if you dont mind a bit of a pain at the pumpo and the little bit harsher ride from the back of the SUV. Bumps around as a truck do over uneven surfaces. But still a VERY comfortable and quiet hughe SUV. For long trips and towing a race car i think will be great!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
Someone is coming to pick up my gas 5.4 lifted F350 this week for $9500.

I can't find many good deals for cummins or duramax trucks for under $10k. Might have to go with a powerstrokeme.

What's the best combo for towing? 99.5-02 Cummins with manual trans?
I think any of the older dodges would be fine for towing, especially the 5.9 12 valve. I'm looking for something newer, so i'm in the market for a 07.5-09 Dodge Cummins or 05-07.5 Chevy Duramax. Most of the older dodges are around the $10k range so it should be easy to find one, tough part is finding a manual trans one I'm actually learning more towards a duramax now because whichever truck I get will most likely be my daily driver and out of the big three, chevy has the most reliable auto trans available. Its been quite a mission to find a good truck especially since i'm so picky I''m trying as hard as possible to find one without a 5th wheel/gooseneck, and also one without leather as well.

I'm leaning towards this one which is the best of few i've looked at so far:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31411569&Log=0

I like it because its been dealer serviced fairly often for the majority of its life, but it did have a 5th wheel in it before though. Once I find out if I got this new possible job is when i'll look at a few more trucks. If i find out my average income I can see if I can buy a slightly more expensive truck.

Last edited by L888Apex; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by l888apex
I think any of the older dodges would be fine for towing, especially the 5.9 12 valve. I'm looking for something newer, so i'm in the market for a 07.5-09 Dodge Cummins or 05-07.5 Chevy Duramax. Most of the older dodges are around the $10k range so it should be easy to find one, tough part is finding a manual trans one I'm actually learning more towards a duramax now because whichever truck I get will most likely be my daily driver and out of the big three, chevy has the most reliable auto trans available. Its been quite a mission to find a good truck especially since i'm so picky I''m trying as hard as possible to find one without a 5th wheel/gooseneck, and also one without leather as well.

I'm leaning towards this one which is the best of few i've looked at so far:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31411569&Log=0

I like it because its been dealer serviced fairly often for the majority of its life, but it did have a 5th wheel in it before though. Once I find out if I got this new possible job is when i'll look at a few more trucks. If i find out my average income I can see if I can buy a slightly more expensive truck.
I hear you on the auto trans. Luckily I found one with a build auto with a triple disc tq converter that's in my price range. I'll jump on it if he ever responds, haha.

I wish I could afford the newer ones, but I don't really need something super nice, and I definitely do not want a car payment, lol.

I found one 02 cummins with the 6 speed, but it's $11k, I'm going to try and hustle him a little bit.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
I hear you on the auto trans. Luckily I found one with a build auto with a triple disc tq converter that's in my price range. I'll jump on it if he ever responds, haha.

I wish I could afford the newer ones, but I don't really need something super nice, and I definitely do not want a car payment, lol.

I found one 02 cummins with the 6 speed, but it's $11k, I'm going to try and hustle him a little bit.
Yeah I rarely see ones with a built auto trans, and if I do, its a newer one most of those sell for $30k+ which is out of my range. I'm happy paying $20-$25k for a truck I really want. I plan on keeping it until it blows up, so its a long term investment for me You got any pics of the one you're looking at?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Only Ford diesel i'll consider buying is the early 2000 models that had the 7.3, other than no Fords for me I mean look at this!!!!

Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I posted earlier in this thread about the new Tundra I bought. It just rolled over 10,000 miles. Trouble free, 100% of course. I've gotten a best of 18.8 MPG empty. Towing my aluminum enclosed 24' trailer with my 3850 pound GT500 in it coming back from Pittsburgh I got 9.9 mpg. It is the best truck I've owned to date. No, it's doesn't have the stability of a dooley, no it doesn't haul 1 ton in the bed and no it's not nearly as powerful as any of the turbo diesels I've owned. It does everything else better, including the mileage.

I would have already put the supercharger on it BUT I screwed up when I bought it, I bought a black truck and I hate that. It's dirty all the time, why I bought it I have no idea as I knew better. IF it were white, tan or anything else it would be supercharged by now. I'll probably trade it in next year on another one, in a different color.

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?