EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI - Page 5 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI

Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

I think the wind speed and angles are going to be a very important factor. Ive been over 130 numerous times without issue. But I generally dont drive that fast on exceptionally windy days just because okie wind can push the whole car off the road lol.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Still have that M3 gurney flap but im hesitant to put it on my 8 wing since they are not around that much anymore
Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:14 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silverevo05 View Post
Still have that M3 gurney flap but im hesitant to put it on my 8 wing since they are not around that much anymore
(BTW, talk about unearthing an old thread)

The 8 wing, from what ive read, is filled w/poly-U foam & has a lot more structure as a result

The 9 wing is hollow & under the right circumstances, can fail (as i know too well)

I think youre Ok to run that flap silverevo05

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jan 11, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
(BTW, talk about unearthing an old thread)

The 8 wing, from what ive read, is filled w/poly-U foam & has a lot more structure as a result

The 9 wing is hollow & under the right circumstances, can fail (as i know too well)

I think youre Ok to run that flap silverevo05
damn straight haha....very few old timers left. ive been off this site for almost a year, and just got back into it again.

i really liked the look, but cant find the pic from behind of the wing with the m3 spoiler, but ya i wouldnt risk it because i don think i can find anothe nice 8 silver wing
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

You could also simply add bracing. If it's a race car I'd get a Billet water jet piece and place it in the middle. If it's a street car i'd make a piece of billet or carbon the length of the wing underneath and into the sides.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

these were my wings. I folded 2 ix wings with gurney flaps. Now i use a viii wing with a gurney flap and no problems yet
Old Jan 13, 2019, 06:06 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
these were my wings. I folded 2 ix wings with gurney flaps. Now i use a viii wing with a gurney flap and no problems yet
Thanks Vic. Yeah, remember seeing that pic. Great to see you still on the boards

Joe
Old Jan 13, 2019, 07:27 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverevo05 View Post
When I made mine, I followed an article that had recommendation on the max useable height for a gurney flap. Anyone looking into that or does it really not matter and I was per thinking it?