Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2014 F1 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
these new cars sound like crap. disappointing that Hamilton had to retire after a strong practice and quali.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum cleaners, I say!!!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140317/F1/140319821
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
these new cars sound like crap..
sound like super moto's to me.....
Old Mar 17, 2014, 04:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Think most of you are making way too much noise over this change

Its a turbo powered engine for Petes sake. Maybe you guys are not familar w/them

Darn thing has a huge 4+ inch exahust barking at 15K RPM. If you go to COTA this year, maybe you'll begin to appreciate the exhaust note

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 17, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 04:18 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I went to Indy during the V10 era and COTA the last 2 years... I agree that the V10s sounded amazing. The V8s, other than being loud, didn't. The V8s actually sound better on TV than in person because you don't hear all the awful exhaust notes.

Once the engine makers get the reliability up and start pushing towards the rev limiter (currently seems like most are shifting around 11k) the sound will probably get a bit better, and louder. It'll still be a V6. Can anyone name a V6 that sounds good though? Current GT-R sounds okay.

I personally am okay with the in car sound with the turbo/generators/various gear noises on top of the engine intake/exhaust... we'll see how they sound in November.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I went to Indy during the V10 era and COTA the last 2 years... I agree that the V10s sounded amazing. The V8s, other than being loud, didn't. The V8s actually sound better on TV than in person because you don't hear all the awful exhaust notes.

Once the engine makers get the reliability up and start pushing towards the rev limiter (currently seems like most are shifting around 11k) the sound will probably get a bit better, and louder. It'll still be a V6. Can anyone name a V6 that sounds good though? Current GT-R sounds okay.

I personally am okay with the in car sound with the turbo/generators/various gear noises on top of the engine intake/exhaust... we'll see how they sound in November.
I have mixed feelings on the matter.

On one hand I absolutely love the R18 E-Tron diesels that absolutely dominate their clas at LeMans. They sound awesome!

Yet when I hear the similar sound in F1 it just unsettles me.

I guess I'm just not happy with the cars sounding different. 18,000 RPM's is great and of course the V10's were allowed to go up to 20,000 (!!!) RPM's at one point so yes those are just aural nirvana. I don't expect that but man... it is hard to accept the difference.

Agreed on V6's. They sound like ***. The only way 6 cylinder engines seem to sound great is when they're flat or inline.

Last edited by redleg225; Mar 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On to a proper track for these cars this weekend. The top 5 cars separated by a half second or so... Should be good racing if the tires hold up.

Glad to see Kimi getting the better of Fred in P2, hopefully that trend will continue is qualifying.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add me to the mixed feelings camp. It's definitely exciting to have cars that are more difficult to drive and a shakeup in the pecking order but there's no denying that something big has been sacrificed with the sound. When people like Martin Brundle and David Coulthard are saying it, you know there's something to it.

Also a prediction. Vettel will be winning again by Asia. Ricciardo only missed out on P2 in Australia due to a technicality and Australia is one of the tracks where power is a huge deal. It will be close with Mercedes but I think Vettel will show what he's really made starting at Singapore. Also wouldn't mind Ferrari winning it all but I don't see it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would also be very curious to see the wastegate setups they're running. Surely they're not just dumping to atmosphere. The shriek isn't there. The exhaust note is too deep. Maybe that would fix the sound somewhat?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:40 AM

Where are most of these races being broadcasted this year? I have all the channels can anyone let me know when they can? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blitz, I'm kind of under the impression that all the turbine spinning is being regulated through the MGU-H (motor generator unit - heat). It aids in the spool and contols the actual speed as I read it.

Explained : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UvO2KS04D8JqUA

Darkknight, NBCSportsNetwork carries all the US coverage.

Last edited by grillpt; Mar 28, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 02:08 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
Add me to the mixed feelings camp. It's definitely exciting to have cars that are more difficult to drive and a shakeup in the pecking order but there's no denying that something big has been sacrificed with the sound. When people like Martin Brundle and David Coulthard are saying it, you know there's something to it.

Also a prediction. Vettel will be winning again by Asia. Ricciardo only missed out on P2 in Australia due to a technicality and Australia is one of the tracks where power is a huge deal. It will be close with Mercedes but I think Vettel will show what he's really made starting at Singapore. Also wouldn't mind Ferrari winning it all but I don't see it.
Nico set his fastest lap fairly early in the race (e.g. with 2/3 of his fuel still on board), indicating he had a lot of pace left over if he needed it. Mercedes are a long ways ahead right now, much like Red Bull was last season.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by darkknightsw20
Where are most of these races being broadcasted this year? I have all the channels can anyone let me know when they can? Thanks in advance.
Fox Sports 1

Anyways, Im loving the new turbo sound & the torque. Wish I could hear it in person. Buxton was talking w/ Ecclestone about track mic placement but he dodged the question

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 28, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
awesome race for mercedes. another ****ty luck for ricciardo. nice to see him battle with vettle at the beginning. massa did a good job too
Old Apr 6, 2014, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

great race so far! Wish Ferrari was competitive, but great to see all the shakeups within the teams, and also glad to see Force India's talent finally getting to shine

Quick Reply: Official 2014 F1 Discussion Thread