Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pro Solo launches with SST trainy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Pro Solo launches with SST trainy?

I am wondering if it is possible to successfully launch the car with SST trainy for Pro Solos? I guess, the same would be true for drag racing variations.

The way it looks like to me, I could hit it hard and get out pretty fast, but I don't seem to have a control of WHEN the car is going to take off...

Any info is appreciated!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
I am wondering if it is possible to successfully launch the car with SST trainy for Pro Solos? I guess, the same would be true for drag racing variations.

The way it looks like to me, I could hit it hard and get out pretty fast, but I don't seem to have a control of WHEN the car is going to take off...

Any info is appreciated!
I don't have an Evo X MR, but I'm almost positive they have built-in launch control from the factory. I think you have to change the traction control settings to the right combination first, but then you hold the brake, apply throttle, and release the brake when it's time to launch. You can't sit on the limiter indefinitely, but it should still give you plenty of time to time it properly.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
I don't have an Evo X MR, but I'm almost positive they have built-in launch control from the factory. I think you have to change the traction control settings to the right combination first, but then you hold the brake, apply throttle, and release the brake when it's time to launch. You can't sit on the limiter indefinitely, but it should still give you plenty of time to time it properly.
You are correct! There is a launch control built in and it works fine for a stock car. But, aside from successfully launches the car from the stop, it doesn't give you any control on WHEN it is going to do so, which is crucial for successful launch. If my reaction time has tolerances of a whole second, than I am not even going to try to run any Pros. And, in my case, I can not modify my ECU due to stock/street class limitation.

So, again, the main thing is about the control of WHEN the car will take off, because right now for me it is anyone's guess about that...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but can you explain how you dont have control as to when it launches? I assumed after prepping the car for the launch i.e trac off brake down gas down etc. you just release the brake when you want to take off? Is that not exactly the case? Is there some sort of delay between releasing the brake and actually taking off?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Please excuse my ignorance but can you explain how you dont have control as to when it launches? I assumed after prepping the car for the launch i.e trac off brake down gas down etc. you just release the brake when you want to take off? Is that not exactly the case? Is there some sort of delay between releasing the brake and actually taking off?
No worries here!! Ignorance excused!!!

If car would take off right when you release brake pedal, this thread would be silly! But, at least for my car, that is not what happens! Sometimes, it goes right away and some other times it just sits there for a short while (half a second or even more) and than takes off. I just don't know when that will happen, so I wrote this thread...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Haha thanks!

Hmmm that is quite strange and now I understand the concern you are having...unfortunately, I can't offer any useful feedback as I just do not know.

Just a couple suggestions that come to mind.

Try reaching out to some reputable tuners/ shops and see if they can offer some advice. I wonder if there are some launch tables hidden in Ecuflash that can be tweaked to your liking?

See if there is anyone in the drag racing section of this forum who also has an MR

Do you happen to know Steve Hazzard? I met him at Devens a few weeks back. He too has an X MR. Im not sure if you know him but figured I'd throw it out there as he's a local that may be able to offer some feedback.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

So, you are local too!! NEEVO perhaps? Of course I know old fart Steve! We go back a long time, even before he put my front R4S pads on fire (both wheels) after he took my car for a run!!

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to tweak the ECU code in B-street, so no help there!

Hope to see you around!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Completely forgot you being in B-street thus not allowed to tweak ECU stuff. My bad...

You know I am not a part of NEEVO but Steve was telling me about it. I'm not into "hard parking" and always just assumed that's what they were all about...

When do you plan to hit up Devens next? I've been slacking this year but hope to make it out to a lot more before the end of the season.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have joined NEEVO mailing list on the Facebook and you get some good stuff from those guys. I have no time for any shows or rides and barely make an event (at Devens that is) or two a month. Next NER event is on 20nd and I am planning to be there and most of the remaining NER events for this season. Hope you make it!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

OK I just gave in an sent sent a request on FB for NEEVO. Im not an avid FB user contrary to most folks my age.

Maybe I'll sign up for the next NER event since my seat time has been very limited this year with scheduling conflicts and mechanical issues (headgasket, clutch and last event no brakes, LOL!) But that's all been sorted out and I have brake pads sitting on my doorstep as of a couple hours ago so I should be golden.

Anyway, I totally derailed your thread, sorry!

Back to launching...hmmm I can see that being frustrating given that rt comes into play, you'll be handicapped for something out of your control
Old Jul 1, 2014, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Evo X MR - and just like Fedja says - it goes when it is good and ready (not when you take your foot off the brake).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

That 2014 EVO that was mentioned at the Toledo Pro seem to cut decent reaction times, but short times were pretty high for an AWD car. He ended up with three high 1.9s and two low 2.0s (that is all that I could fine on the result page from him). Looks like he made sure car takes off on time, but not as hard as it could. Or, perhaps, that is all the stock SST EVO can do for short times?

Here is what I was able to find for the important numbers:
HTML Code:
Time 32.163 32.046 32.052 32.031 32.163+1
RT    0.752  0.543  0.590  0.607  0.752
60ft  1.975  2.003  1.982  2.025  1.975
Old Jul 2, 2014, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mario Linguini
2011 Evo X MR - and just like Fedja says - it goes when it is good and ready (not when you take your foot off the brake).
This makes more sense now. Forgive my post above. I had just assumed the launch control obeyed the driver's commands.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 09:24 AM

Its the other way around...the driver obeys the launch control ;o)
Originally Posted by Construct
This makes more sense now. Forgive my post above. I had just assumed the launch control obeyed the driver's commands.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:18 AM

Reference Post #12 and Evo X SST 60' times (my ability to cut-n-paste sucks): Those times are consistent with the times the Evo X SE was getting that finished second at the 2012 DC Pro Solo in the RTA class April 13-15, 2012.
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ts%20RT_60.pdf

Under B-Stock in RTA
T2 (Second place)
2010 Mitsubishi Evo X SE White
[.556/2.044] [.475/2.025] [.590/2.008] [.688/2.041] [.581/2.061] [.844/2.014] [.599/2.013] [.851/1.948] [.651/1.968] [.542/2.012] [.613/2.008] [.567/2.074]

But look who finished right behind in third! The driver of that 2014 White Evo X at Toledo this year:

T3 97 Michael Eckert (also B-Stock)
2011 Subaru STi Black

Quick Reply: Pro Solo launches with SST trainy?