Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X - First Track Day - What should i know

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X - First Track Day - What should i know

Attending my first track day and just looking for any tips/tricks I should know before going.

Car has a few bolt-ons and tune.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
What pads and brake fluid are you using? What tires are you on? What's your suspension setup?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
ALWAYS go out on track with a full tank. The X has starvation issues with hard left hand corners. If you notice the engine cutting out at all, pull off the track and refuel.

Replace whatever brake you fluid you're running with something meant for racing like Project Mu G-Four 335 and you'll be fine. Try and get an instructor or someone with experience to ride with you to help you get your feet wet.

Make sure to practice heel-toe down shifting. Make sure you have at least 50% life left on your brake pads, and make sure you have at least 5/32's of tread on your tires.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Watch your tire pressure. Once they get hot they will have a higher pressure so keep an eye on it.

Dont push too hard until you familiarize yourself with the track. Frankly done push too hard until you have a sense for the cars behavior. Start in a beginners session and move up as you feel more comfortable(And start passing everyone)

Dont use ebrake after your sessions, you could "weld" them to the drum/rotor. Find something to put behind/in front of a wheel to stop the car. Have a cool down lap after the session to bring temps down.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
all of the above

plus what I do is

take a pump and gauge for the tyres and check pressures after each session
take all your loose stuff out of the car including mats and spare tyre
mount a camera on the back baby mount so you can record the instructor for use later
take a fold up chair and stick it out the front so you can remember which pit garage you are in when you pull in, also stops other guys backing into your space which i find happens alot near the end of the day
fresh brake fluid and engine oil of course
I find after 5x20 min sessions I am almost out of fuel, if you can take a spare 10 litres just in case to get you home really depends how hard you are going to be going and how far the track is.
Take you own helmet if you can saves you hiring on the day and it not fitting well.
Take and eski with some snacks and water.
Don't drink the night before, get a good night sleep
Don't take mates or women out who won't be driving, they will get bored big time and you are better talking and making friends with the guys out there , odds will be there are other evo guys you will hook up with
cover your number plates with tape, i do this just so my car isnt all over the net when i go to sell it. lol
Take enough tools just to do a few small repairs if needed
Make sure you have a plan if your car is damaged ie local toe truck contact that can flat bed
Arrive early so you can get a good garage position.
Don't be the first out on the track for your first few runs otherwise you might have alot of fast guys pushing you to get past, if there is, just wave them on by don't be a hero and try and hold them off on your first out.
Make sure you have good grippy driving shoes and keep them free of oil and dirt when your walking through the garages.
If it rains go slow and build up, Evo's can let go real fast, but you'll be one of the fastest out there in the wet when you get used to it. Some tracks have real slippery corners which you need to feel out.
Don't think fast, think smooth, hitting breaking markers and apex's, fast will come later
Old Apr 25, 2016, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jonno99
all of the above

plus what I do is

take a pump and gauge for the tyres and check pressures after each session
take all your loose stuff out of the car including mats and spare tyre
mount a camera on the back baby mount so you can record the instructor for use later
take a fold up chair and stick it out the front so you can remember which pit garage you are in when you pull in, also stops other guys backing into your space which i find happens alot near the end of the day
fresh brake fluid and engine oil of course
I find after 5x20 min sessions I am almost out of fuel, if you can take a spare 10 litres just in case to get you home really depends how hard you are going to be going and how far the track is.
Take you own helmet if you can saves you hiring on the day and it not fitting well.
Take and eski with some snacks and water.
Don't drink the night before, get a good night sleep
Don't take mates or women out who won't be driving, they will get bored big time and you are better talking and making friends with the guys out there , odds will be there are other evo guys you will hook up with
cover your number plates with tape, i do this just so my car isnt all over the net when i go to sell it. lol
Take enough tools just to do a few small repairs if needed
Make sure you have a plan if your car is damaged ie local toe truck contact that can flat bed
Arrive early so you can get a good garage position.
Don't be the first out on the track for your first few runs otherwise you might have alot of fast guys pushing you to get past, if there is, just wave them on by don't be a hero and try and hold them off on your first out.
Make sure you have good grippy driving shoes and keep them free of oil and dirt when your walking through the garages.
If it rains go slow and build up, Evo's can let go real fast, but you'll be one of the fastest out there in the wet when you get used to it. Some tracks have real slippery corners which you need to feel out.
Don't think fast, think smooth, hitting breaking markers and apex's, fast will come later
Pfffttttt....3hrs sleep and a bit of a hangover never hurt anyone
Old Apr 25, 2016, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Pfffttttt....3hrs sleep and a bit of a hangover never hurt anyone
^Because this guy just turned 16

To Bring list varies by local, like these Ausi's have to bring scorpion replant, twine, and 3 month old sausages to fix stuff where we just have to bring duct tape, zip ties, and southern accents .
Old Apr 25, 2016, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
^Because this guy just turned 16

To Bring list varies by local, like these Ausi's have to bring scorpion replant, twine, and 3 month old sausages to fix stuff where we just have to bring duct tape, zip ties, and southern accents .
No, when I was 16, I mean 21 , it was zero and sleep and maybe still a bit intoxicated...lol
Old Apr 25, 2016, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Apr 26, 2016, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Us Aussies are wimps compared to you hard core Americaaans, we need everything on our iPods and catered for :P
Old Apr 26, 2016, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Pffft, your idea of a track day is romping through the bush with a Wallaby as a copilot.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Pffft, your idea of a track day is romping through the bush with a Wallaby as a copilot.
And then kick boxing a 'roo...haha
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First track day ... just have fun ... ignore the waning lights